FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

(SPOILER)One of Jessie's gloves is on the bedside cabinet next to Bigg's bed
    (SPOILER) Cool find. Guess that is probably confirmation that they were sleeping together.
    (SPOILER)I think it's supposed to mean she's alive.

Anyway, I have a gameplay problem. My first run got me Aerith's red dress. Cool. My replay, I followed online instructions to get her pink dress... I still got the red dress. I don't know where I could've possibly screwed up.
    (SPOILER) She very clearly died in Cloud's arms. If they want to turn it around and say she is alive now then this game is an even bigger mess than I thought before .
    (SPOILER)The timeline changed, that was the whole point of killing the Arbiters and Zack being alive and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

(SPOILER)One of Jessie's gloves is on the bedside cabinet next to Bigg's bed
    (SPOILER) Cool find. Guess that is probably confirmation that they were sleeping together.
    (SPOILER)I think it's supposed to mean she's alive.

Anyway, I have a gameplay problem. My first run got me Aerith's red dress. Cool. My replay, I followed online instructions to get her pink dress... I still got the red dress. I don't know where I could've possibly screwed up.
    (SPOILER) She very clearly died in Cloud's arms. If they want to turn it around and say she is alive now then this game is an even bigger mess than I thought before .
    (SPOILER)The timeline changed, that was the whole point of killing the Arbiters and Zack being alive and stuff.

(SPOILER) Ugh, One of the worst things video game writers can do is start messing around with timelines like that. In anycase it is probably just left up for people to interpret how they want since chances will be slim we will see Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie in any future games.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)I can understand that perspective, but there was a recent interview where they explicitly said "We didn't see the point in just making FF7 with better graphics and with voice acting. We thought it was only worth doing if we tried to do something new and interesting. That is a risk, because it might end up worse off, but it's worth trying to make something better too." Which is pretty explicitly the plot of the time ghost plot itself; Aerith clearly knows a lot about the future and says out loud she's scared of deviating from that, because she knows it results in ultimately beating Sephiroth and Jenova. But she also says it's worth trying for a better outcome than the one she foresees.

I know not everyone likes that, and some people would rather have a more direct remake, whilst others would be fine with changes but without bothering to justify/explain them, but I thought it was pretty good.

(SPOILER)I can understand that perspective, but there was a recent interview where they explicitly said "We didn't see the point in just making FF7 with better graphics and with voice acting. We thought it was only worth doing if we tried to do something new and interesting. That is a risk, because it might end up worse off, but it's worth trying to make something better too." Which is pretty explicitly the plot of the time ghost plot itself; Aerith clearly knows a lot about the future and says out loud she's scared of deviating from that, because she knows it results in ultimately beating Sephiroth and Jenova. But she also says it's worth trying for a better outcome than the one she foresees.

I know not everyone likes that, and some people would rather have a more direct remake, whilst others would be fine with changes but without bothering to justify/explain them, but I thought it was pretty good.
    (SPOILER) Yeah but that statement doesn't say anything regarding the fate of Biggs, Wedge, or Jessie so I still think it is just open to interpretation and they likely won't be seen again anyways so it won't matter.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)It's absolutely wild to me that there are people who think we had scenes about Zack surviving or Biggs waking up, but that we're never going to see them going forward. That contravenes every single principle of storytelling that there is.

(SPOILER)It's absolutely wild to me that there are people who think we had scenes about Zack surviving or Biggs waking up, but that we're never going to see them going forward. That contravenes every single principle of storytelling that there is.
    (SPOILER)First of all, I never said they wouldn't appear any more, just that I don't think it happened in the same timeline our protagonists are in, and they won't have a direct influence on the main plot. Maybe in visions of some kind, heck maybe we'll even get to play as Zack is his own little timeline for a bit and see how things are different.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Just finished it.What the smurf, Nomura? Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Just finished it.What the smurf, Nomura? Jesus Christ.

Yep. It's just weird. I really think that if they try to do another game it isn't going to sell nearly as well as this one did.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's weird, but I'm down with it. It's just... I did not see all of that coming.

Did anyone notice the mouths of NPCs during gameplay. I found that most, if not all, had some weird animations where the mouths appeared too big when characters spoke. It was off-putting at times.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Did anyone notice the mouths of NPCs during gameplay. I found that most, if not all, had some weird animations where the mouths appeared too big when characters spoke. It was off-putting at times.
    They spoke about this in the final part of the Inside the Remake series ( https://youtu.be/d0A2uTnEUfE?t=433 ) basically they used AI to do all the mouth movements for each language.

For the most part it worked pretty well, but yeah there were a few awkward moments for sure.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Unrelated to all of this, I want to run my own Honey Bee Inn

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Got it yesterday morning, have played through to the chapter 8 sidequests just now. I'm playing on normal difficulty.

A few thoughts:

-I really like that running doesn't have a stamina meter. I get that in other games it helps add to the realism, but from a gameplay standpoint, it's kind of a nuisance that makes you get to places slower with frequent pauses. R1 all day

-I'm so glad this game doesn't have a battle rating system at the end of every fight. I know I'd be getting like one S for every 37 D's lmao.

-It took me a while to get the hang of fighting, maybe playing the demo would have helped. I had a lot of trouble with the Guard Scorpion in Reactor 1, but after getting the hang of things I think I do alright as long as I know the enemies weakness to build up the stagger. Very XIII in that aspect.

-I'm glad to have the game divided into chapters. They're not immersion breaking, and they serve as good checkpoints for me to check the time to make sure I'm not playing longer than I should be.

-I kind of wish that items didn't go by the ATB bar. If your characters are low on HP, you have to attack to fill it faster, which puts you at risk of being KOed before you can use an item. I'm sure there are materia or level up abilities later that speed it up.

-I could take or leave the XIII approach to weapons. I kind of like just getting a new weapon and having that one be better, instead of leveling up every weapon for different needs. I can see the perks, but it can be a bummer to get a new weapon and then not want to use it because it's not as good as an old one.

-I missed a few early sidequests because I didn't realize there was a "point of no return" walking into Seventh Heaven after a certain point. Lesson learned, I did every side quest in chapter 8 before advancing.

I'm doing a thorough playthrough, looking through every nook and cranny for chests and materia. Since I know I've missed a few things due to the above missing sidequests, I'm just going to enjoy this playthrough without too much worry and at some point, probably right before the second game comes out, I'll do a 100% complete playthrough with an online walkthrough.

I found that with maxed stats, neither your original nor newest weapon is strongest (except maybe Aerith's). Cloud's Hardedge and Tifa's Metal Knuckles are the most powerful physical attackers. Same for Barret's Wrecking Ball. I haven't actually modded the EKG Cannon yet, but I'm fairly sure it won't hold a candle to the ball. Frankly, I'd be surprised if it outmatched Big Bertha.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I finished the game yesterday. I really enjoy it and I'm excited for part 2. (SPOILER)At first, I was really not sure about the last chapter because it's really different than the original game, but I'm curious about that alternative universe they created. Zack will probably play a role from that timeline, but I'm pretty sure everything will go back to the og one in the end. Now, Sephiroth can win, so they'll have to work to make sure he meets his fate. I also hope Aerith will stay dead. I love her, but her death is too impactful and meaningful for the story and that's the same for Zack.