Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Playthrough thoughts thread

ive been thinking a lot about the "Eggs and Chips" sign in Seventh Heaven. it reminds me of being a kid when we were quite poor and couldnt afford another protein, lol. does Eggs and Chips have some kind of Final Fantasy or culture significance I've missed or is it just a random meal they put in neon?

Eggs and Hashbrowns (chips is what europeans call fries)

By the way, on replaying the OG up to the glacier, I've realized that a lot of the "touching" moments in the game don't really hit me anymore. They just reek of NES-style story-telling where the dialogue is supposed to relay the emotion but the text is too short or badly translated. Now they just feel like emotionless blips, just story beats I slog through to get to the next section. I feel like I'm hurrying through the game simply by virtue of the fact that I can.

Yeah, on my first playthrough, I made four attempts before I got Shiva. Of course, Aerith was busy delivering flowers so I was flying solo. But it was a moment of pride for me to know I spanked Shiva's ass on my own.

Edit: Yeah, anyway I have a habit of being physically aggressive in my playstyle. Also, I guess I wasn't really alone. I had Ifrit for a minute. It's alway fun though to watch Cloud take down a huge enemy with his Cross-Slash (or in later chapters/replays, his Ascension is even better).

Something I noticed about the Shinra Building chapter. Domino points out that the group "scared an accountant half to death." But this only makes sense in the context of having taken the elevator.

Something else I noticed about defeating Hell House on Hard Mode. It doesn't do its last Chair Salvo that Cloud and Aerith have to save the crowd from.

Edit2: the PS4 version messed up one of my favorite scenes. I just got Cloud aboard the Highwind and after his speech, everyone shouts "There ain't no gettin' offa dis train we on." But one of my favorite lines from the original was one of those three voices misremembering the line as "This train we on don't never stop." To me it just added character. Now it just bland. Why bother having three separate text boxes if they all say the same thing?
    Last edited by Mercen-X; 04-28-2020 at 06:34 AM.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I’d say it has less to do with the brevity and more to do with how terrible the translation is. Luckily, if you have the PC version, there’s a translation mod available.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

This game is a lot harder than the original. I never had to use so many potions before and I'm actually taking the time to really think when I'm in battles especially during boss and side quests. That Shiva fight was a challenge. I got pretty close on my first try, but it was a struggle after that. I really had to take a good look at my equipment and materia set up. I tried putting the Fire elemental on Cloud's sword so he would always hit her weakness, but for some reason it was still saying Reduced so I instead used the elemental materia to give Aeris Ice resistance.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Yeah, on my first playthrough, I made four attempts before I got Shiva. Of course, Aerith was busy delivering flowers so I was flying solo. But it was a moment of pride for me to know I spanked Shiva's ass on my own.
    YOU BEAT THAT trout WITH JUST CLOUD?

Wall Market (SPOILER)Yo having the Hell House come up during the tournament was the biggest WTF moment ever and taking it down was amazing. I know those spectators had a great time watching two people fight a house and then an Ice Goddess coming out too.

Defeated Shiva with Cloud only as well! Didn't take me four attempts, though, just two!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Man, this game is good as smurf. I'm in the Shinra building and this is pretty cool. I always had a high pitched cartoony voice for Hojo in my head when I played the original, but his voice here is more serious. I like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final Battle

Cloud: Binding Materia - Warding, Fire - Elemetal, Deadly Dodge, Item Materia, Healing, ATB Boost and First Strike
    Twin Stinger
    Chain Bangle
    Protective Boots

Barrett: SubversionLvl1, Cleansing Lvl2, Healing, Fire Lvl1, Lightning, HP Up, and BarrierLvl1
    Big Bertha
    Supreme Bracer
    Headband

Tifa: Poison, Luck Lvl2, Time, Barrier, Refocus, Enemy Skill, Chakra Lvl4, and Luck (I haven't learned enemy Blue Magic I just put it on her because I had an empty space. Not sure what to replace it with.
    Purple Rain (Prince LOL)
    Heavy-Duty Bracer
    Revival Earrings (I feel like I should place a Status preventer instead?)

Aerith: Pray Lvl3, Revival Lvl1, Magic Up, Wind Lvl2, Auto-Cure, Ice, Magnify Lvl2, Healing Lvl1
    Reinforced Staff
    Rune Armlet
    Star Pendant

Am I good to go? Should I change something?

If you are really talking about the final battle (or the last sequence of battles)…

(SPOILER)Remove the Elemental from Cloud's Fire materia. Since you can't be 100 % sure what the party will be, everyone should have something to restore health (Healing materia and Chakra) — I was fortunate enough to get Barret with Healing + Magnify, but Cloud and Tifa both had Chakra and the last one also had Healing with Auto-Cure. You don't need those accessories, choose those that will boost your character. Also, spread the elemental materia through all of them… when the silver haired man starts drinking infusions, while Cloud is guarding or using Counterstance (timing must be perfect), the others can cast the opposite Materia to stagger him quicker!

Patience is your ally in these fights, don't rush through it and you'll be fine!
    Last edited by Oaktree; 04-29-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Is it really truly random? I didn't realize. I don't remember if I had Barret in my first playthrough. I just finished Hard Mode and I had Aerith and Tifa. Got my @s$ kicked once with Cloud. Got wiped out by Hell's Gate when Aerith joined. Thankfully, I didn't get trashed again once Tifa joined up. It sucked enough having to start over twice (and the GD cutscenes can't be bypassed).
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

It probably isn't random, but I've read so many different opinions that I can't be sure. I'll try the various outcomes on my hard mode run.

I forgot about Prayer, but I wouldn't recommend it since it costs too much to use… In fact, I don't recall ever having two ATB bars to use, unless the enemy was already staggered and my active character (either Cloud or Tifa most of the times) was beating him senseless. So, a non-active character with two full ATB bars is something I can only dream of (perhaps with the right combinations of Complete materia)!

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
    It probably isn't random, but I've read so many different opinions that I can't be sure. I'll try the various outcomes on my hard mode run.
    Hard Mode is the last place I would test alt-outcomes (I do wonder if it has to with defeating Croceo before Viridi)

I wouldn't recommend [prayer] since it costs too much to use… In fact, I don't recall ever having two ATB bars to use, unless the enemy was already staggered and my active character (either Cloud or Tifa most of the times) was beating him senseless. So, a non-active character with two full ATB bars is something I can only dream of (perhaps with the right combinations of Complete materia)!
    Cloud and Tifa should do Chakra and Aerith should have Healing+Magnify. Her Soul Drain restores MP, so she should be good to heal throughout the battle. Never cast with the character you're controlling. Switch and pop Sephi, then hit the menu with another character's healing or ability if you're good on health. It took me fifteen minutes to get all three characters to a good health place to go full-throttle (and also Summon Bahamut).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh it was taking too long to get replies so I just went ahead and fought with the set up I had. I died tree times, but ultimately won once I got to Sephiroth. The part I kept dying from was from the rainbow Bahamut's Mega Flare. I had to make sure everyone had Shell on at all times to make sure I could survive it.

@Mercen-X I didn't know Bahamut was in this game. All I had were Ifrit, Shiva, and Fat Chocobo and I thought that's all you get.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah, Leviathan and Bahamut are summons that you can get through doing the Battle Intel stuff with Chadley.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
    Hard Mode is the last place I would test alt-outcomes (I do wonder if it has to with defeating Croceo before Viridi)
    Yeah, you are right. Through chapter selection, then!