Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Playthrough thoughts thread

How are they going to deal with the fact that everyone already has Firaga?

Reset that materia between games? Or just keep introducing more and more advanced stuff in the next games?

I think they bit themselves in the foot on that. Either way they go it's probably going to look kind of ridiculous. Will we get Ice-9 in the last game and the entire world freezes as.the spell effect?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    How are they going to deal with the fact that everyone already has Firaga?

Reset that materia between games? Or just keep introducing more and more advanced stuff in the next games?
    I mean just reset it. Simple as that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah if they’re treating the installments as separate games - which they are - I imagine they’ll be reset

That may be simplest solution.

But one of the things I was really looking forward to, when the whole thing is finished, is playing them all in sequence in a massive marathon playthrough.
    Cos that will be unbelievably epic. It'll be like the biggest single player game ever.

That would get really annoying if your materia keeps getting nerfed every 30 hours, Lol.

If they really entered into an alternate timeline, I hope materia behave differently in the new one with different animations and characteristics. It can still be the old familiar */*ra/*ga formula but just present differently. Also, will there be Earth materia? We don't know.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time

Reached the final chapter, but it was so late I called it a night after getting trounced in the bike chase boss fight. Will probably finish the game later today.

Pros:
    • I liked the gimmick in the Hell Gunner fight where you had to lure the satellite strike onto the boss to raise it's stagger gauge.
    • The Stair sequence is absolutely hilarious and probably the best change in the Shinra Building.
    • I love the fact that the Cetra's airships are based off the designs from older FFs. It looks like the Blackjack, but it's color scheme seems to be taken from the Invincible in FFIX.
    • Mayor Domino was also amusing, I kind of expected him to get written out but his expanded role is amusing and helps to add a bit more logic to the infiltration mission.
    • Red XIII is a bit more charming and amusing in this entry. I'm actually surprised he wasn't playable considering how much he actually helps the team.
    • The President Shinra sequence was a bit contrived, but it was also a good character moment for Barret.
    • I appreciate the fact the game setup a sequence to keep the whole party useable. I tend to like multi-party dungeons.
    • The Rufus fight was pretty impressive.

Cons:
    • Overall, I found the Shinra building to be a let down. It's a bit more linear than the original, drags out dungeon sequences that start off interesting, but get tiring really quickly. I never thought I was going to get to the Shinra building while climbing up there, and Hojo's lab got boring really fast despite the multi-party gimmick. The battle simulator was also some contrived nonsense.
    • Wow, the Whispers have upgraded themselves into literal Plot Armor. How quaint.
    • I'm not digging Hojo's portrayal in this. Like he works sometimes, but other times I feel he lays the crazy on a little too thick.
    • Wow, Cloud's sword upgrade in here is ugly, and useless. I mean even it's innate ability is something Cloud could already do with his Punisher stance.
    • I really don't care for the new Jenova boss music. The first two movements are boring and don't have that otherworldly vibe the synths gave in the original, and then when the third movement pops up and it's basically an update of the original track, the fight ended so quick in that final phase, I barely got to enjoy it.
    • I am seriously getting fatigued with this game. Like I can't wait to finish it so I can finally move on to something more interesting. I realized that last night when I was trudging through the Drum and I wished the game would just get on with it.

Using the beam on Valkyrie is less fun on Hard Mode. I just railed on it for 40 minutes and called it good.

For the Stair Sequence, I have yet to test if you can go back down and use the elevator like I did in OG. Once you reach the top, the next scene occurs automatically, but nothing suggests I "have" to reach the top.

I love Rufus.

Battle simulator: so damned stupid.

I love Twin Stinger. It's got a neat look like a combo between Ragnarok and Organics. Counterstance is kind of useless since the actual counterattack is when the ability does the most damage but you are less likely to be attacked while using it. At least in Punisher mode, you can move toward the enemies.

The last three battles of the game can be tiresome. They renamed Motorball "M.O.T.O.R." and dealing with that thing can be roll-your-eyesinto the back of your head annoying. The whispers come back in a bigannoying way. And then there's Mr. Big Bad himself. [collective sigh]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just finished and... wow. Not "that was AMAZING!' wow, more like just disbelief in a "WTF did I just witness?" kind of way. I bet Nomura was so proud of himself for sneaking in a Kingdom Hearts boss expy.

Pros:
    • After a second attempt, I ended up liking the bike mini-game end section.
    • Hey, it's Zack!
    • Some of the visual callbacks to the OG were neat. Special shout out to Cloud and Sephy's final scene together.

Cons:
    • What I just played was stupid.
    • Did we really need to fight the Arbiters of Fate trio like three times? Talk about milking this fight.
    • I honestly don't know why we fought Sephiroth. Like thinking as a writer, and ignoring the obvious fan service answer, there just doesn't seem to be a reason for that whole fight to even take place.
    • Maybe it's simply because she unlocks so late in the game, but Leviathan is not as impressive as a summon.
    • Are the Whispers even really gone? I mean it doesn't seem to make sense that fate can simply be punched out and that will be the end of it. I mean we can't have the party magically defeat Destiny itself, yet somehow Sephy shrugs off everything and gets to stick around.

Overall, I feel the ending leaves the title on a sour note for a game that was stretched way too thin for it's own good. If I had to summarize the game in one word, exhausting would probably be the best fit.

The fight with Sephiroth did feel like pure fan service. Wasn't needed and didn't make that much sense for the story.

I thought the whole ending would've been so much better if Sephiroth had just cut the hole in the whisper wall, walked through, and then the party follows him and it immediately cuts to the credits. That's the end. It would still imply that same "escaping fate" thing, but you wouldn't need the crazy Kingdom Hearts fight against the heartless, and you wouldn't need to ruin the story pacing by having a Sephiroth fight this early.

I don't see any way in which it would be inferior to end it there.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I can concur that the drum section dragged on and on. It felt like it was done just to check off most of the remaining enemies from the original that hadn't made appearances yet.

Although having said that, I wonder if that was due to having the anticipation from the original of knowing what was coming. One of my colleagues who never played the original loved the drum section.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I can concur that the drum section dragged on and on. It felt like it was done just to check off most of the remaining enemies from the original that hadn't made appearances yet.

Although having said that, I wonder if that was due to having the anticipation from the original of knowing what was coming. One of my colleagues who never played the original loved the drum section.
    Yeah, the interesting part of the Remake for me is talking to my GF who is playing it, but never played the original.

I also wondered if a lot of my issue was also simply knowing how the plot is suppose to go and thus getting impatient as well, but on further examination, I concluded I probably would openly dread some of the dungeons in a replay. They stuck out to me a little too much as kind of taking their time. Generally, if I got bored during the dungeon, I felt it was valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I got this feeling during a lot of points when I felt like it was being padded.

Final Fantasy 8 has an insanely annoying sewer section that goes on a bit too long, but no-one ever said it was padding because that's just the original game. Yet FF7 Remake does the exact same thing and it now counts as padding because the original sewer section was like 10 seconds long.

The sewer section in FF8, while pretty stupid, is not nearly as long. I wouldn't say it goes on too long beyond the fact that it's kind of stupid it exists to begin with and the set up for it is ridiculous. It's really quite brief. Not as brief as the sewer segment in the original FF7, but definitely much shorter than the version in the remake. And all of them are shorter than the monotonous Xenogears sewer, so count your blessings.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even Xenogears sewer dungeon is actually short if you know what you're doing. The hard part was just keeping your orientation so you didn't get turned around. For VIIR it just dragged in places though I'll give them props for at least putting more stuff to actually do in the dungeons. It wasn't like XIII where the dungeons were monotonous and barren of content. My real issue is that they overstayed their welcome in VIIR. I don't think there was a a dungeon outside of the opening reactor mission that didn't get a bit boring for me halfway through it.