Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Eureka! Playthrough thoughts thread

Figure we can do what the internet is so good at hosting, and use this thread to provide some thoughts as we playthrough for the first time.

I guess in the interests of spoilers we could say what chapter we're on, and hide anything really spoilery behind spoiler tags.

Me:

Just started Chapter 3

Pros
    • Combat feels great
    • Judging by the trophy list there is a Hard difficulty which I guess acts as a NG+
    • Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are so much more fleshed out as characters
    • Generally the game looks fantastic
    • Boss fights have been pretty fun so far
    • It was really staggering getting to see the destruction caused in Sector 8 by the explosion from the Mako Reaction 1
    • The Senior Guard and New Recruit in the Sector 7 slums are fantastically voice acted lol
    • (SPOILER)I knew from interviews that Sephiroth was going to be featured a lot more, but I did not expect to be seeing so much of him so early on.

Cons
    • Some quite low-res textures at times that take ages to load in higher res versions.
    • Some of the music choices for locations are... interesting, not sure if this is a con but there's some locations I feel could've benefited from a brand new track rather than re purposing an existing one.
    • Not sure how I feel currently about Weapons having their own crystarium like skill point system on top of Materia.

Overall so far it feels like a brand new game but still maintains the distinct essence of FFVII.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 04-10-2020 at 11:13 AM.