Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aerith

19 55.88%
  • Aeris

15 44.12%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aeris vs Aerith: The Great Debate

It isn't a matter of localization that is an issue for me. Until the first time I heard someone else say her name, I had been mispronouncing her name something more like Aries. I convinced myself that was the original Japanese pronunciation. Considering they only have long vowel sounds (except for "ah") it's no wonder they always had localization issues. Yeah, that's the sound of me blaming the Japanese. Lol, I need to get a life.

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

I used to be staunchly an "Aeris" person but the remake sorta converted me to "Aerith." Although I still call her Aeris sometimes out of habit.

I remember it used to bother me that in AC and KH they would purposely never vocalize her name, I'm assuming because of this very debate.
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I used to be pro-Aeris but over the years I changed. I think Aerith looks and sounds nicer.
    It takes a big man to admit he was wrong.

Haha, but yeah, I never left the Aerith camp. And the new games thankfully confirmed my choice. Although it could theoretically be caused by the alternate reality thing.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I originally said Aeris, but long ago transitioned to Aerith. Considering in every other appearance she's had since the original game she's been called Aerith, it's tough to dispute what her real name is at this point.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by the Japanese name
    エアリス
    e-a-ri-su
    The issue is with the final kana ス, which is the su sound. When you say the same, especially the ending リス you get the -rith sound naturally, making Aerith closer to the Japanese pronunciation.

Interesting side fact I noticed, is the kana for Barret

Quote Originally Posted by the Japanese name
    バレット
    baretto
    Since Japanese has no l sound it is replaced with the r sound. So baretto is how a Japanese speaker would say the word Bullet.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I call her by her "official" name, Aerith, but I do really like how Aeris sounds and looks.

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

It has and always will be Aeris for me. That is what I was presented with when I first played the game and it sounds way better than Aerith.
    :joey:

I used to feel like Aerith sounded stupid because it sounds like Aeris with a lisp. Thankfully my brain dissolved that association over time, because there's just no getting away from it. I've gotten used to, and fond of the way Aerith sounds now. But that may just be conditioning. Regardless, you can't get away from it now. Their official stance is here and it's not going to regress

Fascinating that Barret may have meant to be Bullet though, and nobody started a pronunciation war over that name

Also weird how Lydia and Rydia never blew up. People used their preferred style and nobody gave a crap who said what

Maybe because I played Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII before I played Final Fantasy VII, I have thought Aerith sounded much better than Aeris.

Wasn't the pronounciation originally supposed to be that a th sounded like an s?

Which they then abandoned in Crisis Core?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Aeris, almost like the God of War

I say Aeris when referring to her in the original game and Aerith for everything else.

Aeris for life. Aerith will never not sound strange to me.
    Currently playing FFV
    On deck FFVIII (replay)
    Recently finished FFXII: Zodiac Age, VII (replay), XV, VIIR