Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So... how many of you replayed the original?

I played it about 6 months or a year ago briefly after several years. Last night I played the beginning again. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that every year on my birthday. June 26, 1998 was when I first played it, and that was 22 years ago where did the time go? I turned 35 yesterday. I should play Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World on Christmas since 1990 I got SMB and 1991 I got SMW that day. 30 years ago. Damn.

I want to play the whole game using gamefaqs and get everything that wasn't in the official guide but I started getting very busy a few years ago and got more religious a couple years ago.

I would like to play it on a Sony BVM one day using RGB, but it looked alright on composite on my 2012 plasma using my old receiver from the 90s that I've had since I played it as a kid. 22 years later I finally figure out that's a cafe with the chairs knocked over on the right where you first meet Aeris.

I should put in the remake eventually but I only have a regular PS4.

Oh I vaguely remember a rule against necroposting. I hope this doesn't count. Back in the day I don't remember month old topics on the first page.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I started it with my kids and got as far as Wutai before we moved on to another game. They mentioned we should come back to it after we finished the remake. If you put in some cheats to speed it up, it still plays well.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I finished replaying it last month, still just as amazing as I remembered it being. Not to mention I'm still learning new things about it with each new playthrough.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    If you put in some cheats to speed it up, it still plays well.
    I know it's sacrilegious to say so, but I enjoyed playing both Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII way more recently thanks to the speed multiplier. Some aspects of those games are unnecessarily time consuming and I'm glad that I could focus on the core elements much more as a result.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I've deliberately avoided doing so because I wanted Remake to feel as new as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    If you put in some cheats to speed it up, it still plays well.
    I know it's sacrilegious to say so, but I enjoyed playing both Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII way more recently thanks to the speed multiplier. Some aspects of those games are unnecessarily time consuming and I'm glad that I could focus on the core elements much more as a result.
    Yea....especially XII for me. I promised myself I wouldn't use them but about 30 mins in I was speeding through. Much more enjoyable, especially for things like hunts.

And I mean grinding in FF7 for limit breaks etc....I'm too old for that now, speed it up baby. Limit break cheat++

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I haven't replayed since 2012 when I finally beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon.

I couldn't be happier with the speed multiplier in XII.

I started it the same day I finished the remake, but only made it as far as Junon before realising that my heart wasn't really in it. VII is one of my favourite games ever, as well as the single most important one to me on a personal level, but I've finished it far more times than virtually any other game, and it's burned into my memory to the point where I can picture every screen in my head and recite whole scenes' worth of dialogue. So I think barring a sudden bout of amnesia, I've probably played it enough for one lifetime.

The last time I revisited it properly was when I played it in Japanese back in 2013, and I remember thinking at the time that playing the original version of the game that arguably first inspired me to learn the language felt like a fitting way of capping off my long history with it. And I sort of still feel the same way, so I'm not sure I'll ever properly replay the original again now. But who knows? Maybe I'll feel differently in a decade or two. I'm glad to have the remake project, either way. It was so lovely to revisit such a familiar world and find it full of surprises again.

The remake completely reignited my love for this series and for VII in particular. I obviously beat the original...back in 2002. While I have played Midgar and change maybe even a handful of times since then, the more I thought about it I realized I hadn't really played Disc 2 since that first time. After loving my experience with the remake,going through XV, and watching Tim Rogers's "Let's Mosey" series on YouTube, I booted up the PS4 remaster of the original in June and managed to finish the whole game in eight days (gotta love that 3x speed function). Loved every minute of it. The story held up way better than I expected: I thought it was amazing as a kid but I expected it to kind of be a convoluted mess to go back to at 30. But I was really taken by just how well-told the story is.
    Currently playing FFV
    On deck FFVIII (replay)
    Recently finished FFXII: Zodiac Age, VII (replay), XV, VIIR