Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see in Episode 2?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wouldn't be surprised if they entirely skipped the Kalm flashback and instead told it throughout the game. I would be surprised if they skipped an opportunity in Costa Del Sol to put the characters in swimsuits.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I hope they don't do that. They've already gone a bit too far without actually explaining Sephiroth as a character. It worked fine in the original because you still haven't seen him at this point.

But with him appearing a lot earlier in Remake, it's already made the logic of the story fall apart a bit. Like why do none of the other characters really ask about him at all? I mean Barret, Aerith and Red XIII weren't supposed to know who he was at that point, and even though Tifa knows who he is, it hasn't been explained yet why she does. But in Remake they all just kinda go along with everything that's happening.

Given how much Barrett is the driving force for the party for most of the first game, you'd really expect him to just bring everything to a halt and be like "So who's this guy then?".

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    I hope they don't do that. They've already gone a bit too far without actually explaining Sephiroth as a character. It worked fine in the original because you still haven't seen him at this point.

But with him appearing a lot earlier in Remake, it's already made the logic of the story fall apart a bit. Like why do none of the other characters really ask about him at all? I mean Barret, Aerith and Red XIII weren't supposed to know who he was at that point, and even though Tifa knows who he is, it hasn't been explained yet why she does. But in Remake they all just kinda go along with everything that's happening.

Given how much Barrett is the driving force for the party for most of the first game, you'd really expect him to just bring everything to a halt and be like "So who's this guy then?".
    That's not true. Sephiroth was a "war hero." Everyone knows who he is. They just don't know what happened to him, Cloud's story about Nibelheim, or why he would be against Shinra now after suddenly turning up again years later. Tifa knew who he was in the seven years ago flashback before she had ever met him. In the original, Cloud even mentions stories they may have heard about Sephiroth's strength during the flashback. Cloud assumes that the rest of the party has probably at least heard of Sephiroth, and so should we.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The remake assumes you know who Sephiroth is because it assumes you played the first game. Although the characters likely know who he is, it is never explained to the player. That's terrible storytelling. All it needed was a Shinra propaganda video on a TV somewhere that showed off all Sephiroth's accolades and explains his death/disappearance.

That's true. Honestly, kind of surprised they didn't bother doing that in the Shinra HQ tour portion. It would have fit right in.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yep, a perfect place for it! In fact, they covered basically everything else except him. I wonder if it was there and we missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post

That's not true. Sephiroth was a "war hero." Everyone knows who he is. They just don't know what happened to him, Cloud's story about Nibelheim, or why he would be against Shinra now after suddenly turning up again years later. Tifa knew who he was in the seven years ago flashback before she had ever met him. In the original, Cloud even mentions stories they may have heard about Sephiroth's strength during the flashback. Cloud assumes that the rest of the party has probably at least heard of Sephiroth, and so should we.
    Yeah that's true, I was wrong to say they wouldn't know who he was. Although that's barely explained in Remake. I think the only time it's suggested is in that flashback with Cloud and Tifa as kids where Cloud says he wants to "be like Sephiroth", and Tifa doesn't question it so he's obviously quite famous (at least where they live).
    But still, I kinda feel like they'd want some explanation as to what's going on, even if they did know him by name. There's basically no discussion from the time he appears in the Jenova tank place, all the way until the end, no-one stops and says "so what's going on then?"...."why can this famous soldier turn into a tentacle demon and also fly?"

To be fair, there's not really a lot of downtime for them to do that from that point on. That's why they wait until Kalm to ask for an explanation in the original. The problem now is that means the explanation gets delayed to another game. The only real chance I feel like they had to ask for an explanation is maybe before they venture into the fate portal thing at the end, but considering every wacky thing that's going on at that point, I'd kind of understand them being beyond the point of bothering to ask about Sephiroth in that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It’s funny to me how it turned out that it was Kitase that wanted all the off-the-wall changes while Nomura was all about sticking to the original
    I honestly kinda feel bad for Nomura since he cops so much flak for things that aren't even his fault. Sure he directed one of the worst movies ever made but he's far from the only thing wrong with Square Enix.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a meme right now to hate on him. Nomura is the Nickelback of Final Fantasy.

It's been a meme for well over a decade. I mean I can understand getting tired of Nomura's constant "style over substance" and "rule of cool" approach to storytelling, game design, character design and even filmmaking, but it seems like every time a new piece of FF media turns out to be a monumental disappointment or an unmitigated travesty, it's always somehow Nomura's fault even when he had little-to-no involvement, and people act like just as soon as Square Enix fires him they'll return to the golden age of Final Fantasy.

Well people associate Nomura with a certain style of characters (i.e mopey emos who look like they want to be fashion models) and a certain type of storytelling and themes (overly melodramatic, slightly self-absorbed, eager to appear deep and philosophical).

Whether he actually deserves that or not, I think it's quite hard to know from outside of the company, because you never really know how much of the final product each developer is responsible for.

I would say though, the 2 main games in the core franchise that he had almost no role in, FF9 and FF12, are quite notable in how they don't exhibit any of those characteristics I described. So it might be true that he's responsible for that aspect of the series.

FFXIV Character

Cordis Xaltun (Cactuar)

Hello, i'm new here. I'd love to see some flashbacks. I'd love to see them dive into Sephiroth, Tifa and Cloud's past.

I'm going to deviate from the popular opinion here and say, I'd really enjoy seeing their new take on certain character changes and I'd love to get a glimpse into stories on characters like Ifalna, Lucrecia and Gast.

Hi Cordis! I'm generally good with flashbacks too, although my only worry is that they might end up diverting resources from the storytelling in the present.

I think Ifalna and Gast stuff would work quite well when they go to Icicle Inn and visit his lab, but that almost definitely won't be in Part 2. I'm not that confident that Vincent will be in Part 2 either, given that they probably already have 3 new playable characters, in Red XIII, Yuffie and Cait Sith. I think they'll want to save Vincent and Cid for Part 3, for the sake of dividing it up between the games.

My current prediction is that Part 2 ends at Nibelheim, and so Vincent might play a similar role to what RedXIII did in Remake. He'll be revealed toward the end of the game, but won't become playable until the one after.

Vincent can join as a non-playable right before the climactic fight with Sephiroth in Shinra Mansion during/after which Sephiroth chucks some materia at Cloud.

Yep, although it might be a bad location for the final boss fight given how epic they like them to be. Maybe they'll do it at Mt Nibel instead.

I do definitely think we'll get to Nibelheim in Part 2 though. If for no other reason than the simple fact that they need to design that whole area for the Kalm flashback. So it just makes good sense they'd reuse it during the same game for the sake of sharing storage space. Otherwise they need to put that whole area into 2 different games.

That's assuming they don't go with any kind of open-world approach anyway, in which case they'd need to put the same areas in all future games.