Thread: WK Plays World of Final Fantasy

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco WK Plays World of Final Fantasy

Going through other games I've owned for awhile and never played/finished I decided to keep the SE love going and jump into WoFF. I played the demo ages ago before it released but never got around to picking up the game cause FFXV was a higher priority. I am not terribly far, I just met the Big 3 Summons and fought Ramuh.

Pros:
    • It's really cute, I like the Chibi sprites better than the Jiant models to be honest.
    • I was amused that I recognized Cornelia by its music before I realized it was the place.
    • The stacking mechanics are still weird, but I like the whole concept of party development it gives.
    • I like the banter of the core cast for the most part.
    • For a game that was developed for the Vita first, this game has way better production values than the Mana remakes and it honestly makes Type-0 look more dated and obvious it was originally a PSP port.
    • I'm loving me some ATB combat. I've been playing so many Action-RPGs or old school Turn Based that it was nice to play something a bit closer to the FFs I grew up with.
    • This game is surprisingly more challenging than it lets on. Enemies hit pretty hard and we've got a bit of the old school monster horde issue where it is very easy to get overwhelmed.
    • I love the fact the Character guide actually tells you where characters first appeared within the series including some of the summons and monsters.
    • Princess Sarah was pretty amusing, especially as she tried to make sense of Lann's nonsense.

Cons:
    • While the banter is amusing, Lann's idiocy is likely going to grow thin with me very shortly...
    • I really hate Reynn's 3D Character model it just looks really off. Most of the non-chibi models look a bit off to be honest. They looked fine in the anime opening but weird in actual 3D.
    • The writing has a bit too much of a heavy anime/Kingdom Hearts vibe for my taste. I almost feel like it may have started its life as one before the execs told them to make it into a game.
    • The battle command shortcut menu feels a bit off and more cumbersome than useful. I've largely stuck to just using the regular menu system.
    • It is so weird how the core gameplay is actually pretty challenging and yet the game is also obviously made for a new player to RPGs as it has a pretty intrusive help system. It may just be me coming off a SaGa game which offers absolutely no help in understanding the mechanics, but it's kind of jarring how much the game stops you to explain every gameplay detail.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whoops, forgot about this thread. I have actually been playing for awhile. I just reached Saronia.

Pros:
    • I still appreciate this game being rather challenging, I've been burning through Phoenix Downs way faster than I would care to admit. I've had a few game overs as well, so props to the team cause I was expecting this game to be a total cake walk.
    • I really loved the way they portrayed the Warrior of Light. He is so goofy with his not so subtle crush on Princess Sarah. Speaking of which, she has also been a hoot and I don't think any game has ever given her much justice as a character than this one.
    • While FFIIIDS may not be my favorite version of the game, I was happy to see my favorite of the new cast arriving with Refia. I wish she had kept her tomboy attitude but I don't think she's completely gone from the plot just yet.
    • The gameplay and Mirage mechanics have a serious Digimon World vibe to it, which I can really dig even if it means this game is going to have a serious grind issue after awhile because of it.
    • I love the Princess Goblin, oh my she is so adorable and I'm now trying to level up a Goblin quickly to have one in my party.
    • I finally got a Moogle!
    • You know, even if the plot does turn out to be rather cringy and silly, the fact this game let me kick the trout out of Yuna has already been worth the price of admission just like Dissidia Duodecim.
    • I love the fact Tama kind of talks like Starfire from Teen Titans cartoon.
    • The Tea Room and Coliseum have both been interesting additions to the game.
    • The Mon descriptions in this game are hilarious.

Cons:
    • I wish the game had more Mdijewel options for the Twins. I know some are unlocked through the Mirage Boards, but I could use some more variety with them. I almost wish it was possible to just build teams exclusively with Mons cause the twins are not as useful outside of their HP pools. It would have been nice if they gave them equipment at least so finding treasure in dungeons would be more exciting.
    • Much like Digimon World, I'm starting to see this game can run into an issue of gameplay complacent. I have a lot of Mon options, but I've been hesitant to really experiment like I usually do cause I've grown a bit too complacent. I'll need to shake things up more.