Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm worried (Spoilers)

If I'm not mistaken, the game's director, Tetsuya Nomura, said he would not be interested in working on FF VII if it were a mere remaster. He believed that the HD version of VII that was released on PC, Playstation, etc, to be the remaster. For him, the game needed to be different.

The problem is that Kingdom Hearts, the last time I checked, made no sense. So yea, be worried.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It makes sense as long as you pay attention. There’s just a lot of stuff going on there.

As for FFVII, I doubt it’s them being unfamiliar with reboot culture and rather deliberately making metacommentary on it, much like Undertale did with the very concept of video games. For a game that has such a gigantic legacy - and one that people have been begging for a remake for so long - I think that’s appropriate. And on a personal note, I do genuinely appreciate the fact that they could have made a crapload of money by just following the additional story but instead they took a huge creative risk. That is commendable and in the pandering environment that is modern pop culture, I think that’s an incredibly important step.

Whatever happens next at least the ghosts of destiny won't be interfering with all the big important scenes anymore. That frustrated me much more than the concept they were going for and the ending.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I reject the assertion that Kingdom Hearts has ever made sense.

And I'll be honest, the more fans I see upset or worried about the changes they're making the more I want to play it if only because spite is a big motivator in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It makes sense as long as you pay attention. There’s just a lot of stuff going on there.

As for FFVII, I doubt it’s them being unfamiliar with reboot culture and rather deliberately making metacommentary on it, much like Undertale did with the very concept of video games. For a game that has such a gigantic legacy - and one that people have been begging for a remake for so long - I think that’s appropriate. And on a personal note, I do genuinely appreciate the fact that they could have made a crapload of money by just following the additional story but instead they took a huge creative risk. That is commendable and in the pandering environment that is modern pop culture, I think that’s an incredibly important step.
    Huh? The story in Kingdom Hearts is a mess. A hot, hot mess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t follow its own internal logic. There’s just a lot going on and plenty of terms, not to mention the fact that the series used to be spread across different consoles. Now you can play the games in order easily and, whether you consider the story itself stupid or not, it’s harder to make the argument that it’s incomprehensible.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm all for changing the plot around cause the original story had a lot of problems and areas that needed to be fleshed out better. My concern is that the game is being overly meta about everything and after seeing the trash fire that is Kingdom Hearts's story, I don't really have confidence Nomura and Nojima can pull this off without sounding pretentious. The fact the characters are doing this whole "let's fight fate" spiel got me twitching cause the last game that made that a central focus of the plot did a pretty bad job with the concept as well and that director is also working on the Remake.

I feel players may lose out of a game that could have fixed a lot of issues from the original and finally live up to its lofty reputation but instead we'll wind up with the staff dragging us through three or four episodes of their pretentious bulltrout while they act like they're work is more clever and interesting than they really are. Subtlety and subtext are not exactly this teams strong point and I feel they played their meta hand way too early.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t follow its own internal logic. There’s just a lot going on and plenty of terms, not to mention the fact that the series used to be spread across different consoles. Now you can play the games in order easily and, whether you consider the story itself stupid or not, it’s harder to make the argument that it’s incomprehensible.
    Lol. As though following its own absurd internal logic and playing them in order makes them less of an incomprehensible dumpster fire. The story was a complete mess by KH2. Honestly Nomura shouldn't be allowed to write or direct games anymore, no matter how intrigued I am by remake battrouttery.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It’s not my fault you didn’t play Chain of Memories before going into 2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But that’s enough derailing this thread, I’d imagine

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It depends what they do with their newfound freedom. If they're going to do more human, more fun, more real stories, sign me the smurf up. Jessie's family, Leslie's search for his wife and Wedge and his cats, let alone how much more depth all four of the playable characters have compared to their original counterparts, wow, wow, yes, do this please.

If they're going to do more hooded figure boring ghost Whisper Kingdom Hearts trout then no thank you. Oh, and stop retconning deaths. Taking away the sickening gutpunch of what happened with both Zack and Avalanche was a cowardly move. Commit to it! It hurt and it was good that it hurt!

Most of what you saw in the ending is not taking place on the same timeline we're following. The scene before we see Biggs open his eyes, we see the Sector 7 plate very much in tact. So while we may get to experience some 'what if these characters survived' visions/gameplay as part of the story going forward, I firmly believe that the Biggs and Jessie we said goodbye to in the pillar are still very much lost underneath the plate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You keep saying that but there’s no confirmation on it. And what happens regarding those deaths in the future games is what will really determine their meaning for FFVIIR. It’s a separate continuity at this point, with a completely different theme. The deaths don’t necessarily have to happen like they did in the original because all of this story now means something completely different, even if many beats stay the same.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

After some though, I'm fairly on board with seeing how this plays out going forward. This game did a good job at hitting all the nostalgia points and fleshing out the characters. Even if the ending really did come out of left-field, I'm willing to see where it leads.

In retrospect my main issue with the final segment is that the level of powercreep to Advent Children levels just seems stupid. I get that it's for the bombastic cinematic experience, but Cloud effortlessly slicing trains and buildings in half with his sword is quite a jump in power from the rest of the game... like the Midgar Zolom better be ready to sliced into pepperoni at this rate.

This gif pretty much captures it:

You keep saying that but there’s no confirmation on it. And what happens regarding those deaths in the future games is what will really determine their meaning for FFVIIR.
    There's no confirmation but that's exactly what the evidence we can see suggests is happening. That's why I bring it up when people say "They shouldn't have changed it so Biggs/Zack survived, it's important to the story they don't" because it seems very likely that they didn't bring them back to life.

One idea that I saw earlier was that in part 2 you'll be switching between these timelines through the game, the 'original game' story and the 'Zack lives' story, and each group would be hunting down Sephiroth in their own way. Something like that could be really cool if done well.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just waiting for the part where Sephiroth learns how to jump between timelines and collects alternate versions of himself for the real final battle of the Remake where the player will have to deal with AC Sephiroth, OG Sephiroth (still in his blocky polygon form), Dissidia Sephiroth, KH Sephiroth, Ehrgiez Sephiroth, and WoFF Chibi Sephiroth.