What are some characters that you feel were almost decent but something is just holding them back ? Whether if it's just a personality flaw that annoys you or just bad writing, or maybe even something else.

Here's some of my own thoughts :

Amarant FFIX

Amarant was the almost perfect foil to Zidane. Amarant was selfish but independent and believed that it was better to work alone while Zidane was team Power of Friendship. Amarant could've brought in some good debates and throw in some good points, but after Ipsen's Castle he just becomes pointless. Amarant had his change of heart too quickly. Or maybe even just replace him with Beatrix after he's played his role.

Ashe FFXII

She should've been the main character of FFXII. Yes, still mad about this. Going to die mad about this. Rolling in the grave, mad about this.

Penelo FFXII

Square just like Ashe didn't give the poor girl the justice that she deserves. She's cute but give us more than that please Square. We want our girls to feel human and more than just one trait. Again, still like her, but come on here.

Vaan FFXII

Vaan just like his friend Penelo is cute but lacks depth. There's bits of it here and there but give us more than that. We go to Cloud, Squall, Tidus and then Vaan ? Or you know, just make Ashe the main character and let Vaan take the supportive role he was more born to play.

Seifer FFVIII

Almost a good foil and rivial to Squall, almost, so close. Seifer's atonement feels so out of nowhere though and his development just feels too rushed. Seifer goes from boy who's playing hero, to loyal puppet to insane to redemption so fast. Though that might be fault of the game he's in as some parts of endgame feel quite rough.

Irvine FFVIII

Irvine is the opposite of Seifer's problem as it feels like he doesn't change at all. We learn that Irvine knows the truth and acts cooler than he actually is so he puts on a bit of a act-which is fine, I like characters like that, though Irvine has no growth whatsoever. Irvine just keeps on playing the clown. No wonder Cid didn't want him to grow up in Balamb Garden so he'll become a seed, boy is like a dead plant.

Noel/Serah FFXIII-2

If Noel stepped in and told Serah that her fiance was a fool and they started dating instead, I might've had more respect for them both. Fanfic is the only hero here, I guess.

So what about you ?