Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entries you can't finish anymore because just...ugh...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Entries you can't finish anymore because just...ugh...

You know the one. Maybe you didn't like it the first time, but its been ages since you played it and so you got bored enough to try it out again, or maybe it got re-released and figured it was time to give the game another chance. You throw it in, and maybe get about anywhere between ten minutes to an hour in before you remember why you disliked this game in the first place. Now is your time to vent.

tbh, I think this list would include most FF's at this point. I don't have anywhere near as much time as I used to. The idea of going back to replay a 60+ hour rpg is just something I can't manage anymore. I love little nostalgia trips as much as the next person, but unless it's a full remake ala FFVIIR or RE2/3, I probably won't go back to revisit older games like I used to.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Probably multiple, but the big one is FFX. I even loved it when I first played it way back when on the PS2, but last time I played it I only got to Kilika before I gave up because I was just bored due to a variety of issues I have with the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only FF I can’t bring myself to finish is XIII-2. Good God they somehow made XIII worse

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    The only FF I can’t bring myself to finish is XIII-2. Good God they somehow made XIII worse
    I enjoyed FFXIII-2 the first time around but after trying to do a replay I was bored out of my brains. Funny how your opinions on games can change so much over time, and not just by a little bit either.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I haven't tried to play any recently, but the only one I picked up and never finished was XIII-2. I may try it again one day, but probably not in the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by nirojan View Post
    tbh, I think this list would include most FF's at this point.
    Agreed. Hell, even back when they released the NES/SNES titles on PlayStation, I bought them but never finished even one of them. I think for each title I made it about halfway before I decided I just couldn't sit through it anymore.

I recently replayed VIII to the point that I'm supposed to head to Esthar. I'm currently replaying VII but I'm mostly relying on the Superpower and 3xSpeed to handwave most of the story and battles. Hell, my level is so low that most bosses almost one-shot my whole crew were it not the Superpower keeping me at constant full health.

I only bought the remaster of VIII because I lost my copy years ago. I only bought VII because my PS1 memory cards are in storage.

I've also never been able to survive the opening battle of Tactics. After the slow and unskippable opening sequence, I should have been able to save at least before this battle begins. Because I instantly die and have to go through the whole intro all over again. I've only played tactics twice since I bought it 20 years ago.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In my most recent memory: Crisis Core, X-2, and FFXIII

I've tried to go back to X-2 a few times, but oh my god the dialogue and story telling just drive me crazy, especially the awful battle dialogue. I still want to do a 100% playthrough of this game but I have to remind myself it took me a few years of playing it off and on to finish it the first time.

With the recent VII Hype going on, I thought it would be interesting to maybe try to do NG+ on Hard Mode for Crisis Core, and I get maybe past the intro mission before the pure bulltrout of this game came flooding back to my memory. I haven't touched it since.

With all the free time I've had, I was toying with the idea of doing a replay of FFXIII and chronicle it on the site, and I got about to the point where Hope's mom died before I shut it down cause I was honestly bored. I mean if you have no investment in the plot or characters, the early game is boring as hell from a gameplay perspective. I mean seriously, the Warmech tutorial boss is one of the most brain dead boss fights I've ever seen in the series, and your only option in battle is really just to hit auto-battle and you can still five star every fight easily. No wonder I was so disengaged when I played this back in 2009. I couldn't handle the idea of being so bored for a few more hours before the game hands me the first part of the actual battle system.

Probably FFX-2. I was too disappointed by it. I can replay the rest though.
    Last edited by Shiva95; 04-23-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't think I have any actually. There are a couple games I probably won't play anymore because I didn't like them that much to begin with which were the first Final Fantasy and Dirge of Cerberus.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

All The Bravest. smurf that trout.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    All The Bravest. smurf that trout.
    Amen
    ms-IwxX1n.gif

Oh, yeah, pretty much any portable or mobile, is "gathering dust" for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    In my most recent memory: Crisis Core, X-2, and FFXIII.
    Never played 13 cuz no PS3. Couldn't finish CC cuz my PSP screen broke. I've played X-2 multiple times though. Mostly cuz I really like Paine. That's not a pun.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Honestly, and I hate to say this because I love the game, but FFT. I just can't handle the grind anymore. And I won't attempt a zero grind run because that's just masochistic. The closest I ever tried was a zero grind run of Chapter 1. It seemed manageable. I can't remember if I successfully did no grinding or ended up doing a little at some point, but I remember it seemed reasonably achievable if tough at parts. However, trying the whole game like that is not for me. The level of attentiveness required for where all your AP goes would just be too cumbersome to me, if it's even a reasonable challenge at all. As a result I can frequently replay FFT up to some point in Chapter 2 but then get bogged down in grinding and quit.

And of course FFXII, but I'm not even going to try with that one.

I don't tend to revisit games I didn't like the first time, as I find that there are too many interesting new games I haven't played yet for me to spend time giving second chances to things I didn't already enjoy. So I'm not sure there are any Final Fantasy games that precisely fit the bill for me. Still, there are definitely a couple where I've found that certain things have derailed multiple replay attempts, even if I otherwise really like them.

Firstly, I absolutely hate the desert prison in FFVIII. A contender for the outright worst FF dungeon, in my opinion, and one that has killed off multiple replays for me in the past. It doesn't really help that it comes right on the back of the parade at the end of disc one, which is easily one of the high points of the entire game. If I drop a run of Final Fantasy VIII, it's pretty much guaranteed to be at that point, and it's the only thing that has deterred me from revisiting the game more frequently than I have.

Secondly, I've never been able to make it more than a few hours into Final Fantasy V on any of my replay attempts. It's not exactly the fault of the game, but something about the job ability system compels me to want to unlock everything, and I find that it quickly becomes overwhelming, and slows my progress to a crawl. It was okay on my first run, when I was a kid and had loads of time to grind out things like Dualcast, but I don't think I'm ever going to finish it again unless I learn to be okay with not unlocking all the abilities.

Also, maybe a slightly controversial opinion, but I never really liked the World of Ruin very much in FFVI. I admire how bold the concept of it is, and certain individual scenes in it are very memorable, but on the whole I always found it kind of a drag to play compared to everything that comes before it. I've played VI up to that point five or six times, but I think I only ever finished the game once.