Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (SPOILERS) Which character would win your "Most Improved" award?

There aren't a lot stories that can succeed at making a character highly flirtatious and yet still have more to their character. Jessie isn't a sex bot. She just finds Cloud attractive and, unlike some OTHER girls,she has the confidence to pursue him openly. Even when Cloud calls her desperate, she just says she'll cool off a bit in her chase but she won't give up. (SPOILER)Some people expressed issues with the fact her bomb didn't do much damage and that Shinra had to clean up. But I just think it shows that she is a competent bomb expert. In the OG Jessie's surprise at the size of the explosion pointed to her being less skillful. Sure, Avalanche was a ragtag group, but why would Barret put Jessie in charge of the bomb if she didn't know what she was doing? I think that's why even Barret was shook by the huge explosion when he and Cloud were on the elevator.

For Biggs,the main reason I liked him in R is because he looks like Charlie Sheen from Platoon. Aside from that, I didn't dig him all that much and I didn't approve of the choice of voice actor. To me I couldn't reconcile that voice with his character.

Marlenefelt more real here too. In Advent Children, she was more of a plot device and they tried too hard to make her "cute". Here, there's a curiousness to her voice that sounds genuine when sge's interacting with Barret or Aerith.

Johnny'spretty cool here. He gets significantly more attention than he should in the Midgar section. But his outfit isn't the one I was expecting. In OG, in Johnny's closet is a leather jacket with a flaming skull. I always figured Johnny was wearing that throughout the game, you just can't tell 'cause the low graphics.

Elmyrais improved, though in a way that makes me irritated to engage with her. In OG sge was stereotypical overprotective mother. But here, she carries a lot of confusion as to how best keep her daughter safe, going so far as to convince herself that it would be best to leave Aerith with Shinra rather than try to get her back. Yes. That irritates me.

Reno's attitude was a satisfying middle ground between OG and Advent Children. Still cocky, still kinda lazy, still awake.

Speaking of Turks, we're introduced to Rude a lot sooner than in OG. And even in the scant screentime he is alotted, we still get a deeper look into his personality. I guess that's the purpose of these cutscenes during battle.

I appreciated the extra screentime we got for Scotch and Kotch, but I DESPISE that they removed the Scotch miniboss fight. I was actually hoping we would be able to fight Scotch AND Kotch. At least they duped the scene of Kotch being tied up. That was neat.

Jules aka Big Bro, is slightly less "cute" though clearly still into that. He's still a disciplinarian but minus the violence which was a little bit of an overreaction in OG (breaking a dude's arm for throwing a tantrum at losing to Cloud).

Gotta say I hated the Party Never Stops Quest. The old man in the original had a bit of sympathetic air about him. The old man in Remake was just an idiot. Total downgrade.

Tseng:in OG, our first encounter with the man made him come off like a stereotypical villain laughing maniacally. Bastard even backhands Aerith right in front of the group. (Though that's not nearly as bad as Barret firing repeatedly on the chopper when he can clearly see a helpless flower girl curled up on the platform beside Tseng... damn Barret, cool off!) Tseng's attitude toward work and Aerith respectively are both given a much needed overhaul here.

I didn't approve of the characterization of Domino. It may have been accurate to his character in OG, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, that may have been the point.

Lastly, Shinra and Rufus. Shinra's outlook may be sterotyoical of a villain, but it feels like it comes from a recognizable origin, like if you could just take away everything that makes him President and just make him another man on the street, he'd be the type of hard-working soul that could build himself up from nothing. Then there's Rufus. No speches this time, but he definitely has more stage-presence to his aura. Overall, I found the battle with him to be pretty entertaining.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have to say, I really like what they did with Cloud. I liked that he was true to his OG self and not as much like his newer appearances. Also, you got some nice characterization in honeybee inn that was kind of a joy.

As for most improved in general, Wedge is my favorite so far. Loved his interactions with cats

Pretty much every character from the original improved, and most of them improved quite substantially.

My top award has to go to Barret though, he's such a GOOD PERSON and WONDERFUL DAD and he's so lovely to his very core that he has to wear sunglasses to stop his eyes betraying his gentleness while he's trying to intimidate his enemies.

But does he always carry a spare, like Rude?

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gashtacular View Post
    i love that jesse was incredibly horny on main

Lol, you just wanted to see a video game sex scene.
    no, i don't. what? lmao. i'm with fynn on this one. just because i have no problem with jesse being sex positive doesn't mean i want to see her getting railed. i suspect you might be projecting here? wtf is wrong with you

incredibly telling that as soon as a female character that is confidently flirtacious comes along it is immediately assumed that she exists for gamers to crank their phat veiny hogs to. terrible.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Jessie wasn't sexual. Was she extremely flirty? Definitely. But she wasn't crass or crude about it, and didn't fall into well trodden tropes of wearing revealing clothing or being overly physical or handsy.

She also was not a one-note character, with her guilt over the bomb, her shattered dreams of becoming an actress and her desire to help and look after people - and, yes, her flirtiness - all playing a part of her Remake characterisation.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Pretty much all the characters were improved IMO, and I liked the new ones as well.

But if I had to pick the biggest improvement, it'd be either Barret or Jessie. Obviously Jessie's character profits from being around much longer than in the original, but she's also just more prominent in the scenes she's in.
    Barret felt a lot more like an actual person than in the original, also a lot of credit to both his English and Japanese voice actors, they nailed it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jessie: *is confident in expressing her attraction and flirts openly*

Nerds on the internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jessie: *is confident in expressing her attraction and flirts openly*

Nerds on the internet:

There is a higher bar now for what is considered quality storytelling in video games. Games deserve to be called out for putting things in their games that hurt the overall narrative of the story. Again through a portion of this game the characters felt like they would have fit in better with a group of spring breakers than an underground terrorist group who was going on bombing missions. The game deserves to be called out for not making their characters fit the story any better than that.
    Last edited by tony123; 04-23-2020 at 03:17 PM.

its pretty clearly the latter tbh

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I fail to see how it’s a detriment to the story when she goes from a fairly one-dimensional character with an obvious attraction to Cloud to a more realized, multi-dimensional character with an attraction to Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I fail to see how it’s a detriment to the story when she goes from a fairly one-dimensional character with an obvious attraction to Cloud to a more realized, multi-dimensional character with an attraction to Cloud

You are trying to compare it to a game that was released in 1997 at a time when video game stories pretty much only existed in order to connect boss fights. FF7R was released in 2020 so the remake should be compared to other games out there that have narratives that are basically cinematic movies and are being turned into movies and tv shows.

If you strictly wanted FF7R to be solely compared to the game that was released in 1997 than it should have been made fifteen years ago.

Even without using the comparison, Jessie's characterization is HUMAN, and that's all it needs be.