Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (SPOILERS) Which character would win your "Most Improved" award?

'Badass girls these days' are about what they do, not what they wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    'Badass girls these days' are about what they do, not what they wear.

Not when you are making fictionalized video game characters. Video game characters are definitely judged based on what the developers choose to dress them in. NaughtyDog made a point of not sexualizing Ellie at all with the outfit they gave her.

Tifa kicks ass in fights. Ergo she's a badass. QED.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok I get it. Modern mature gamers expect a different shade of sexism.

Honestly though, there’s a lot of talk about Naughty Dog stuff here, ignoring the fact that the Witcher 3, one of the most successful and unanimously praised (yes, for its story and characters too) games of the past decade, may have its sad sad game elements, but for the most part is very colorful, has plenty of tonal shifts between serious and balls to the wall zany (Geralt getting drunk with his buddies and dressing up in his girlfriend’s dresses may not quite reach Honeybee Inn levels of wacky but it’s still in the same category), and the women can somehow be badass and wear low-cut dresses and flirt with the main character in dangerous situations all at once. And yet no one is decrying its story as immature or setting back game storytelling a few decades.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don Corneo, because they manage to really drive home that despite his weirdness and campiness, he's actually an evil, disgusting person who is running a trafficking and rape outfit. Which he always was, but in the original it always felt like he was pure comic relief; here he's comic relief, but it's shaded with his actual depravity.

Aerith like others have said, she's not changed much but the time they give to expanding her, her playfulness, her willingness and determination to get things done even if they're dangerous, they're all just superb.

Barret goes from great to best boy, both because of his expanded screentime and because his VA earns every cent.

And Jessie was always Best Girl but now she's just... I don't have smilies to encapsulate how much I love Best Girl.

I also think Andrea was super improved. He went all the way from 'not existing' to 'being really awesome'. Actually, Andrea and Madam M are both equally good.

Actually now I type that out I think Madam M was actually slightly better. We got to see her sensual side, her business-woman side, and her furious-at-that-bastard side, as well as getting a subtle glimpse into her private life. So yeah the 4 new Wall Marketers - liked all of them Madam M is best. But damn Andrea is a sexy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Adequate View Post
    Barret goes from great to best boy, both because of his expanded screentime and because his VA earns every cent.
    Barret doing the victory fanfare is everything!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Barret's VA is also a super nice bloke so added bonus points for that.

barrett is a better prompto than prompto

Final Fantasy Wild Arms to feature Barret, Vincent, Biggs, Jessie, Prompto, Yuna (X-2) and Sazh.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Just gonna add small thoughts to as many characters as I can think of (that were in the OG)

Cloud - About the same tbh. But it works. However, dialogue is infinitely better, but translation issues were to blame for that back in the day.

Tifa - About the same again. But with added doubts about AVALANCHE's cause.

Barret - Similar, but even more improved. Seems a bit more sympathetic and respectful. He's still a hot-head, but he seems more mature than in the OG, though I love both.

Aerith - Her name is the biggest change for me lol, as Aeris is ingrained into my head (yes I know it was a translation error originally). Other than that, she's pretty consistent with her OG counterpart if you ask me.

Red XIII - Similar personality as before. I think it's still early days to tell for him yet, but I like him, and his voice actor is much better than the AC voice actor IMO.

Sephiroth - The genral vibe of him is fine. But it's random that he's even there. I'm not sure if this one's even an improvement tbh.

Biggs - At first, I saw him as a cross between Luzzu (FFX) and Balthier (FFXII). This was before I learned that it is Balthier's voice actor. Then, people started saying Charlie Sheen, and now that is all I can see lol. Either way, an infinitely improved character with a very powerful death scene (but which is ruined because of the ending).

Jessie - Another massively improved character for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure about her apparent romance with Cloud, it just seemed forced and silly. It is later implied that this is more to do with her taking on an "acting" role. But still, I think they went overboard with it. Still though, a much improved version of Jessie, and a powerful death scene.

Wedge - Goes without saying but again much improved as much more development.

President Shinra - This one's a big improvement as he didn't have much development in the original. In this version he seems way more evil, arrogant, and other than that, a generic mustache-twirling evil guy. On his own nothing spectacular, but a definite improvement over the original.

Hojo - Hojo is great full stop, and in this version that is enhanced even further with his voice actor and his overall creepiness. They pulled it off well, and he even steals Scarlett's "something stinks" line.

Heidegger - I don't know about this one. He just doesn't seem the same to me. He seems more serious and less comical than the original. I suppose it works, but in a different way.

Scarlett - Actually not enough air time IMO. However, her scene with the shinra worker being her leg rest was great and shows Scarlett's character for what it is. A good version, but needs more airtime.

Palmer - Palmer is Palmer. More of a comedy character, but even better here than the OG. Palmer in the honeybee in was hilarious, was that in the original? Can't remember.

Reeve - Not much airtime, but early days with him anyway. I thought he was portrayed well enough, but I prefer his DOC voice actor.

Rufus - Too early to tell for this one IMO.

Reno - Much improved. Shows that he has a conscience, but at the same time he's still carefree and still a bit of a dick.

Rude - Similar to the original, but obviously improved with the addition of voice acting and throwing your characters at other characters.

Tseng - This one was just boring if I'm honest. It's still early days, but I found him very generic.

Don Corneo - A crazy, eccentric character as it is, but the revamped look and voice acting is the icing on the cake. You can really tell how slimy and pathetic he is. One of my favourites for sure.

Johnny - Like I said earlier in the thread, I had no idea who he even was in the original. I vaguely know who he is now from looking back, but honestly he was just a random NPC as far as I was concerned. But here, he is a fully fleshed out character, and a funny and entertaining one too.

Mayor Domino - One of the best improvements for sure. In the original he was just 'there'. Now he has more of a role which is great, and a great voice actor, good comedy with the robots, yep one of the biggest improvements.

Hart - Insignificant in the original again. Not much more significant here, but at least he has a distinguished look and a voice actor.

Zack - I don't like his new voice. I also don't like the whole surviving/dimension thing. I'm only ok with seeing Zack in flashbacks, but even so, his voice seemed off to me? Probably gets the least improved award lol.

Elmyra - Same as original for me really. Voice actor suited well.

Marlene - Same as above, but at least she gets more interaction with Barret.

Cloud's Mum - Very brief, so can't really say much other than at least she has a voice actor now.

Kotch and Scotch - Their roles are kind of different, they are no longer in the mansion, but instead in the new Colosseum. However, I like that they kept them as Kotch and Scotch rather than brand new characters. Good for comedy.

Is that everyone? (Excluding brand new characters)

You also have people like the materia shop owner in wall market, and the drunk dress maker, but we could go on forever by that logic.
    Last edited by Jarvio; 04-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the thread, I hate what they did with the Dressmaker. He's an idiot.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

I feel like the materia shop owner in Wall Market was actually LESS developed, but he's an extremely minor character either way and could just as well have been omitted, so it's not a big deal.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

For party members, I'll mirror what people have said about Aerith really standing out. Even in battle, having the staff flick magic instead of just being a low damage weapon was really nice.

I also enjoyed the extra time we were able to spend with everyone in Avalanche.

Endgame SpoilersNow that we have at least Biggs and Wedge (???) alive, I wonder if they're going to play a special role in future games. I could see them showing up in random towns, either being special item suppliers or helping with certain missions. Contacting them in some capacity can also be great story content for Barret since he kind of takes a back seat after leaving Midgar in the original.

Part 2 will pull the rug out from under us by giving a bunch of new playable characters:

1. Leslie
    2. Kyrie
    3. Biggs
    4. Wedge
    5. Johnny
    6. MARLENE!?