Thread: RPG Subgenres

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Question RPG Subgenres

RPGs seem to be the one genre that gets mixed into everything, but what kinds of RPGs have all of you played?

You got Action RPGs, Strategy RPGs, MMORPGs and I never played them, but I heard that Borderlands and Fallout are FPS RPGs and then now we got a couple of sports RPG hybrids with Golf Story, Ring Fit Adventure, and soon to be Sports Story.

These are the ones I've played:

Action RPG: Kingdom Hearts series, Nier Automata, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Strategy: None so far. I wanted Jeanne D'Arc to be my first, but when I tried emulating it the text was all scrambled and then I attempted to play War of the Lions, but it was unplayable on my PC. The game would slowdown terribly

MMORPG: I played 5 minutes of Runescape back in the day and participated in the XIV beta

That's basically it for me. It's sad. I need to expand my RPG horizons.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Great topic!

I had a convo just recently w/ someone about what defines a "genre". He said "adventure" wasn't a genre b/c it's too broad. I definitely disagree. But I bring this up b/c I DO consider JRPG and WRPG as genres, and not just categories, b/c they both have fundamental feature, mechanical, and even story differences (tho JRPGs are starting to become more like WRPGs). But, maybe I'm warming up to considering them "categories" and not "genres".

Also, yes, FO and BL are RPGs. Tho FO isn't necessarily an FPS. Can play an entire game w/o shooting anyone. Or killing anyone. ...And can play in third-person lol. It's more of a "true" RPG than BL is. BL is really an FPS w/ RPG elements. Tho the RPG elements are strong.

This also brings up the discussion of so much genre crossover these days. Also had another convo about NieR Automata and I how I don't consider it a true ARPG like it's so commonly classified. Just an action(-adventure?) game w/ RPG elements. But hey, I know that sorta is what defines an ARPG more and more. Tho I consider ARPGs to be like Diablo or the Tales series or Mana series. Full RPGs w/ action gameplay. Not Action games w/ RPG elements. But I've warmed up to accepting Nier Automata as an ARPG.

But if ppl disagree, I don't mind at all and actually love the conversation. Game development and the psychology behind the developer and the player/consumer really fascinates me. Also brings up the question of "what truly defines an RPG?" Should games like Zelda or immersive sim games be considered RPGs? etc

Anyway, enough soapboxing, I'll just list every type of RPG i've played, regardless if it's a genre or a category.

JRPG - FF series, Xenogears, Chrono series, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, couple Tales games, Mario & Luigi/Mario RPG series, buncha 3DS JRPGs, I Am Setsuna, Neptunia series, SAO series, Battle Chasers

WRPG - Fallout series, Dragon Age series, KotOR series, Mass Effect series, Elder Scroll series, Outer Worlds

FP dungeon crawler - Operencia, SMT series

cRPG - Icewind Dale series, Pillars of Eternity

Tactics - FF Tactics, uhh...I know a couple others I can't remember

isometric ARPG/Hacknslash - Diablo series, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Torchlight I+II, Gauntlet series, Path of Exile, Warhammer Chaosbane, Heroes of Ruin, Spore, Victor Vran

ARPG - NieR Automata, Darksiders series (1 isn't an RPG, mora Zelda-like, but the rest have heavier RPG elements. Never played Genesis which is a true isometric ARPG), Children of Morta, Nioh (debatable?), Middle-earth: Shadow series (debatable? Action-Adventure game w/ RPG elements), Dragon's Crown, Bastion, Transistor (debatable?)

MMORPG - jeez...WoW, WAR, ESO, FF14, AION, LotRO, DCUO, probably a few more I'm forgetting

Misc - Borderlands series, a few roguelike dungeoncrawl party managers (Darkest Dungeon clones), numerous Metroidvanias w/ RP elements (Valdis Story, Sundered, etc)

Probably a few more I'm forgetting I played or just forget if they're RPGs (like Icey. Was that an RPG?). And to be fair, probably 1/3 of that list are games I didn't finish, some I played for maybe an hour, but that counts! Hope to add Elex, Anachronox, Ara Fell, Legrand Legacy to the list, but not sure if I'll ever play those (despite owning them).

Anyway, as you can see, the ARPG genre is what I'm most on the fence about in regards to its definition. It even has its own subgenres of isometric hacknslash (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc), 3d hacknslash (Nier Automata, Darksiders, etc), JRPG-style (Tales, Mana, SAO, etc), and even Action-Adventure style (Middle-earth Shadows, Assassin's Creed: Origins/Odyssey, etc).

Also, another funny convo I had recently - make a list of RPG games I've played lol. Guess that came to fruition!

oh and yes, expand your RPG horizons! But no need to rush or feel pressured. Just take your time. Cuz a lot of them TAKE UP a lot of time lol.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

JRPG: Honestly too many to list. Just for general reference, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, MegaTen, Persona, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Chrono, Xeno, Lufia, SaGa, Lunar and probably a few more franchises I'm forgetting or one off titles.

WRPG: Fallout 3 and 4, and the Mass Effect Trilogy

CRPG: Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1, Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception

Action-RPG: Mana series, Tales of Destiny, Dark Souls trilogy, Demon's Souls, Crisis Core, Bloodborne, Drakengard, Nier:Automata, .hack:// original quadrilogy, FF Type-0, Kingdom Hearts series, Star Ocean 2 and 3.

Tactical RPGs: Front Mission 3 and 4, FFTactics series, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, Disgaea 1 and 3, Vanguard Bandits, Valkyria Chronicles 1, Devil Survivor 1, Suikoden Tactics, Arc the Lad trilogy, Terra Battle

MMO: FFXI and Ragnarok Online. I own XIV but haven't bothered.

JRPGs - Most of the RPGs I've played. Indeed probably most of the games I've played. FF, BoF, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Persona, SMT, Chrono series, DQ , Xenogears, Bravely Default, plenty more I'm sure.

WRPGs - I don't really play these much because when I do I don't typically like them. I can only think of one I've actually finished and it's an exception to the rule: Horizon Zero Dawn. Technically this is an ARPG but if we're dividing "genres" by both origin and gameplay features there's bound to be overlap.

CRPG - I don't know what this is but I don't think I play them. I did play some of Baldur's Gate (would generally think of this as a WRPG). Didn't like it.

ARPG - Mana, Brave Fencer Musashi, Tales, KH, Yakuza (arguably)

TRPG - FFT, Disgaea, SMT Devil Survivor, Suikoden Tactics, some of Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem

MMO - Don't really play these.

SRPG - I played some Golf Story. Don't really care for it.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Damn, I totally forgot to list Lunar. That was one of my favorites as a kid. Also, I totally mindfarted and didn't list Fire Emblem (tho I know it was in my head while making the list).

And I have no idea why, but I've been getting a strong itch for the, uhh, WRPG Action-Adventure hybrids. Basically AC Origins, AC Odyssey, and M-e: Shadows of War. Probably b/c the trailer of AC Valhalla dropped. I have all 3+ all expansions. Now would be a great time to start, during sheltering. But I'm still in the middle of Trials of Mana and FF15! Ugh, so many games...
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I forgot stuff too. Threads of Fate adds for my action RPGs.

I still haven't had the chance to really play and beat a WRPG either. I really want to get around to it someday though. I had Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance years ago, but it was sold off before I had the chance to really play it.

Damn, I totally forgot to list Lunar. That was one of my favorites as a kid. Also, I totally mindfarted and didn't list Fire Emblem (tho I know it was in my head while making the list).

And I have no idea why, but I've been getting a strong itch for the, uhh, WRPG Action-Adventure hybrids. Info from the https://homework-writer.com/ writing serviceBasically AC Origins, AC Odyssey, and M-e: Shadows of War. Probably b/c the trailer of AC Valhalla dropped. I have all 3+ all expansions. Now would be a great time to start, during sheltering. But I'm still in the middle of Trials of Mana and FF15! Ugh, so many games...
    agreed!
    lunar was the best
    Last edited by caren22; 01-08-2021 at 09:46 PM.
    cacacaren