Thread: Your Top 5 Most Properly Rated Games List

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Your Top 5 Most Properly Rated Games List

What it says on the tin, which five games do you consider to be the most deserving of the level of positive or negative attention they get? Games that you feel truly live up to their reputation, be it as a glorious classic, or a total troutheap?

1. Dark Souls
    2. Super Mario Bros 3
    3. Portal
    4. Fallout: New Vegas
    5. Dragon Quest 11

1. Mega Man 2 - Best Mega Man game and nearly everyone seems to know it (despite a few naysayers pushing MM3).
    2. Link's Adventure - I could push this into overrated, but most people seem to know its pretty bad or at least among the worst in the series so I'm good with it.
    3. Mario 3 - Great classic mario game. Well regarded. Seems about right.
    4. Katamari Damacy - The praise isn't taken too far. No one is really saying this is among the greatest games of all times, but it's generally well regarded, as it should be.
    5. Suikoden II - It's hard for me to say if this belongs here. This is generally regarded as the best Suikoden game and it is, so that's why I'm putting it here. I would say it's underated among games as a whole but at least it gets the proper respect within its series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Undertale
    Breath of the Wild
    A Link to the Past
    Chrono Trigger
    The Witcher 3

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy IV - While I don't feel this game will ever be the "most popular" entry, it may win the award for being the most liked while also having the fewest detractors. Most fans regard it with a positive attitude and I feel most fans accept it for its faults as well.

Silent Hill 1 - Similar to FFIV above, I feel this is a game that has managed to stay favorable among the fanbase, but just under the radar enough to not be over-indulged like the sequels. Most SH fans will tell you the first game is pretty solid before jumping into their arguments about why SH2 or 3 are the best entries, or how SH4 is underrated or the general mixed feelings the fans have with all of the Western developed entries or how overrated PT was.

Super Mario World - Still regarded as one of the best Mario games and still holds up really well by most standards. While it may not be everyone's all time favorite, I feel like it would be one of those entries in most people's top 3s.

Street Fighter III - It took a long time for this entry to be vindicated among fans, but I'm happy that the sequel to the stupidly popular SFII franchise was eventually recognized by the fan community. It just took Capcom to finally make two subpar sequels to that entry to get fans on board. While it will never be as popular as SFII or have it's legacy, it is now recognized more for advancing the medium and being a better game than people gave it credit for back in the day.

Chrono Trigger - It's well loved by many and it's design is still well regarded by most people. It makes me happy to see that years haven't really dwindled the love of this game.

Final Fantasy VII Remake?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

For me personally:

Super Mario Brothers 3
    Chrono Trigger
    Street Fighter 2
    Tony Hawk Pro Skaker 2
    Witcher 3

Honorable Mention For:

Persona Five Royale
    Link To The Past
    The Last of Us
    Final Fantasy VI
    Grand Theft Auto III

Take care all.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Everyone is focusing on the positives. If I did that, Witcher 3 and Chrono Trigger would probably top the RPGs. But let's do some games that deserve their negative or middling reputation.

Superman 64
    Bubsy 3D
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XV (more middling than super negative, but still appropriately regarded)
    Fallout 76