Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Finally, the Dunk review is here

  1. #1
    Nice about it Nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    All up in that goodness.
    Posts
    390

    Default Finally, the Dunk review is here

    Since putting down Final Fantasy VII Remake a few weeks ago, I've been very disappointed with the discourse surrounding this game.

    I did not enjoy my overall experience with the game. I loved the combat, the music and the updated graphics. Many of the main story missions had amazing moments. However, it was the little things that started to needle me as I played the game. The voice acting, the padding, the bloated missions and so on.

    Finally, someone gets it. Videogamedunky - not sure how many of you watch him - has posted his review of the game. I agree with it wholeheartedly.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qlf3b9wa4s

    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Nice; 04-29-2020 at 12:00 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    I'll come back here tomorrow after seeing the video!

  3. #3

    Default

    Disagree with him a lot on this one! Particularly about the characters and voice acting, which were superb.

    Still, Dunkey good, video fun, can't wait for knack 3

  4. #4
    Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    52,535
    Articles
    71

    Default

    I do agree about the Hobbitification and that all the best bits were mostly lifted from the original. And as a minor nitpick I 100% smurfing agree with the anime grunts! What!

    I don't agree that there's no emotion though, and I don't think the emotion I felt was caused by nostalgia.

  5. #5
    Nice about it Nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    All up in that goodness.
    Posts
    390

    Default

    The robot arm. The damn robot arm.

  6. #6
    Depression Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Warrior Falls
    Posts
    5,962
    Articles
    45
    Blog Entries
    2
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Disagree with him a lot on this one! Particularly about the characters and voice acting, which were superb.

    Still, Dunkey good, video fun, can't wait for knack 3
    I in particular have issues with Barrett, but I shouldn't get into this here.

  7. #7
    Nice about it Nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    All up in that goodness.
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Disagree with him a lot on this one! Particularly about the characters and voice acting, which were superb.

    Still, Dunkey good, video fun, can't wait for knack 3
    I in particular have issues with Barrett, but I shouldn't get into this here.
    I think you should.

  8. #8
    X Zolgier Mercen-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8,851
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Won't watch the video. I know the game has issues. But they are LITERALLY NOTHING to write about. Some sidequests are bloated padding. Don't do them. Some Story segments are given maybe a bit too much depth. Don't worry your pretty little head about it. Certain segments should have had the option to skip after completing the game ("pursuing Sephiroth", fighting Corneo's lackeys in Sector 7, the dance off, the Shinra MUSEUM, there's even a part in Chapter 8 where we're FORCED to watch Scarlet on TV. WHAT? WHAT!? WTF!?), and I hated everything about the whole "hand-over-hand" (Cloud/Tifa have to stop in place to change directions? WTF SQEX? WTAF) and the "forced pacing" is an insult to speedrunners everywhere.

    Those stupid "warning" signs need to go too.
    Jack: How do you know?

    Will: It's more of a feeling really.

    Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

    Will: No.

    If Demolition Man were remade today

    Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

    By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

  9. #9

    Default

    I couldn't disagree more with what I just watched… He evens goes as far as stating that the President says «mana» instead of «mako», when it is pretty clear to me he says «mako»! Is he actually paying attention to the game, or is he distracted with the sound of his own voice for this absurd review? What a waste of time!

  10. #10
    Nice about it Nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    All up in that goodness.
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with what I just watched… He evens goes as far as stating that the President says «mana» instead of «mako», when it is pretty clear to me he says «mako»! Is he actually paying attention to the game, or is he distracted with the sound of his own voice for this absurd review? What a waste of time!
    I think you missed the point.

    Regardless, everyone has their preferences. Certain things are just subjective, but I believe we do share a common idea of what is good and what is bad. FF VII Remake, to me, is bad game with some good elements. The bad elements of the game are worth writing about because SE intends to make more games. Perhaps they will take that into consideration in the next game. On second thought, no, no they won't.

  11. #11

    Default

    I ....actually agree with him with almost everything this time around. Not to mention it actually feels like a more honest review from him and him just not trying to provoke the JRPG crowd ? Which there was some of that there, but compared to his past infamous JRPG reviews, it's a bit less troll-y.

    I wonder if it was because Dunk was more chill because it wasn't turn based which he despises like the plague, so he more time to chat and joke about the problems with the story and how the gameplay just drags out so much instead.

    Next TB JRPG he'll be back to his old self, I bet. Or maybe because I agree with him this time around, things feel different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I And as a minor nitpick I 100% smurfing agree with the anime grunts!
    Still not as bad as Ashe's from FFXII but still pretty annoying.




  12. #12

    Default

    I probably did, but I'll give it another more thoughtful go: the voice acting could be better, sure, but I don't think it is terrible and completely ruins the game. Maybe it's just nostalgia, maybe I'm still on honeymoon, but at some point I felt the urgency of preventing the plate from crashing down… I waltzed past the train graveyard and all those encounters in despair, knowing that I would never get there fast enough… The supposed deaths of the other Avalanche members struck a cord in me, same goes for Barret's cries for Marlene. So, saying «there's no emotions, you don't feel anything» is an overstatement — at least in my opinion.

    What's wrong with evacuating the slums? They are concurrent events, not sequential. Aerith can go help Marlene and the others while Cloud and company fight everybody else! And, it is Aerith, someone Marlene has never heard of before… What would've happened if she stormed through Seven Heaven's doors and just grabbed the girl? «Who are you? Shut the f*** up and come with me! But my daddy… I said shut up and move your a**!» Yeah, that would do wonders to the girl's confidence… Would that be something Aerith would do? No, of course not. But, alas, I don't think anyone would!

    Is he infuriated because she doesn't run with Marlene on her lap? Well, her whole world is crumbling… everyone is in a panic to get out of there, the least she could do is making sure she doesn't get even more upset with what's happening around them. Reassure her a little, «We'll be fine, everything and everyone will be fine, and you'll see your daddy again». And, once again, it's Aerith. Probably Barret would bulldoze everyone to get his daughter to safety, but he isn't there, is he?

    Yeah, it isn't The Last of Us material… but I wasn't expecting it to be.

    Seeing Sephiroth from the get-go is a problem? No, not for me. Probably because I played the original, so I already knew about his importance to the plot. I believe the same formula, «because the developers are savouring that moment for a big, spectacular reveal», would not have worked this time around. I get the feeling that if he only appeared at the end, some people would be complaining with that choice as well.

    And is the robot hands section that much of a nuisance? Would it be better if I blitzed it in under five seconds? Once again, I disagree.
    Last edited by Oaktree; 04-29-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo

  13. #13
    Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    52,535
    Articles
    71

    Default

    Yeah the slums evacuation was definitely one of the stronger new bits for me and did a lot for Aerith's character.

  14. #14
    The Alpha and the Omega WarZidane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    713

    FFXIV Character

    Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Dunkey doesn't make reviews, he makes comedic videos about games by taking a bunch of things out of context and commenting on them. I pity anyone who actually treats videos such as this one as a review.

    Sadly this one wasn't even that funny.

    On a related note, Zero Punctuation's FF7R video is available as well, https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/...o-punctuation/

    I found that one a lot funnier, but then I find Zero Punctuation a lot funnier than Dunkey in general.
    Last edited by WarZidane; 04-29-2020 at 07:10 PM.

  15. #15
    X Zolgier Mercen-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8,851
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    While yes, the robot arms should have been a skippable event (my god that $h!t's tedious), I enjoyed 80-90% of this game. I also think on replaying Chapter 2, you should be able to make it to the end of that collapsing bridge and climb the ladder. It's not as if wandering around Sector 8 really lent itself to anything anyway. But that's all beside the point.

    I enjoyed many of the boss battles reconstructed from random encounters (i.e. Hell House, Ghoul, Eligor, Brain Pod, Swordipede) some of which were sidequests like Chromogger, plus the new boss encounters (i.e. Crab Warden). I enjoyed the more stylized squat (& pull-up) mini-game. I enjoyed Darts. I enjoyed Johnny (and he enjoyed me). I loved Tifa and Aerith's alt dresses (especially latter's alt entrances... Lol). I loved the bike-mini-game except for the janky steering and the lack of intuitiveness (if you're not purposely steering toward the wall or another bike, you should just ride straight automatically, the steering controls are NOT fine-tuned to maintain a smooth line).

    I enjoyed the Easter Eggs (by the way, despite not being playable, d'y'all know Red has a pair of magic materia on his doggie collar?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •