View Poll Results: How would you prefer the release of future episodes?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Episodes with less content and fast release dates

2 15.38%
  • Fewer Episodes with more content but later release dates

9 69.23%
  • Don't care

0 0%
  • Reaganomics!

2 15.38%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New VII Remake Ultimania reveals SE doesn't know how long the remake will be.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    he'd missed two handheld spinoffs and tech demo prequel to the game. He didn't even know any of them existed. He just thought it went KH1->KH2->KH3
    Admittedly, that could pose problems for FF7 if the team continues to inject content from the Compilation with no explanation.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I reckon WK will be right, or else it'll end at Nibelheim - the latter just because it would allow them to use what will essentially be a very similar Nibelheim 'map' in both the Kalm flashback and the actual (re)visit.
    I was thinking it would be kind of neat if they just dropped you right into the flashback at the beginning of part 2, I like the idea of them beginning and ending in Nibelheim.

It makes sense to me. There's nothing significant about the journey from Midgar to Kalm and the only reason to include it at all would be if there's a world map. Either way though, it doesn't seem like a terribly good place to start the game. Starting with the flashback makes the most sense.

The only other way I could imagine it playing out is to skip the flashback until you reach Nibelheim physically and then interweave the memories with the present-day story which would allow for a kind of post-traumatic, pre-psychotic break in Cloud as he struggles to decipher what's real due to the fact that Sephiroth really is in Nibelheim as the group tries to find answers to his ultimate goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That said, there was enough interest there for the story to continue.

The argument here isn’t “KH continued so FFVII’s story will be coherent”, the argument is “SE has made a long-running series of games with a continuous story that sells super well, and since FFVII is a big brand it’s very unlikely it’ll get canceled in the meantime”
    Yeah Kingdom Hearts is certainly an unusual example. My only plausible explanation for that is that people just didn't care about the story-side of things at all. None of the handheld games sold very well, relative to expectations anyway. But yet KH3 sold about on par with the original, or slightly more.

I do think (if that's the reason) the same is less likely to apply to FF7. FF7 is more likely to be akin to FFX/FFX-2 or FF13/13-2/LR, where each successive game sells less than the previous, and the only question will be how much less.

The Star Wars movies are another good example of that. In all 3 Star Wars trilogies, the first movie made the most money (and Revenge of the Sith is the only movie that out-earned the one before it, which can be explained by the huge jump in quality imo)
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 05-10-2020 at 07:54 AM.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's impossible to predict how many titles there are going to be, and how long it'll take to complete - if they ever finish them at all. The ending of the first part basically confirms they're going to make a up a completely new story from here on, and since they don't even have a speculative outline it sounds like they'll be making up that story as they go.

I don't believe there was ever a serious intent to remake Final Fantasy VII as such. They've remade one part of it, but concluded it with an excuse for why they can't or won't remake the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I think it's impossible to predict how many titles there are going to be, and how long it'll take to complete - if they ever finish them at all. The ending of the first part basically confirms they're going to make a up a completely new story from here on
    In the interviews in Ultimania Kitase says "We're not fundamentally changing Final Fantasy VII, the story will largely be the same." Or words to that effect.

and since they don't even have a speculative outline it sounds like they'll be making up that story as they go.
    Where did you get that from? 'Part 2 is in the planning stages' =/= 'we have no idea how this is going to go'. They didn't end it like they did with no idea where they were going for it, if there's one thing you can say for sure about that ending it's that they very much have a plan for it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard about parts of those Utimania interviews, apparently conducted as recently as March, where key members of the remake team indicate that they aren't sure how - or if - the next part is going to handle the original game's open-world sections. One of them admits that he doesn't remember how that part of the original actually unfolds, and says he'll have to watch a play-through. If they had no clear idea of what they were doing only two months ago, then that doesn't offer much hope.

"Staying true to the original story" describes most of the first installment of the remake, but its ending seems to make it basically impossible for them to follow the original any further. The 'arbiters of fate' were trying to presevere history, and showed the heroes glimpses of what was "meant" to happen - including key scenes from throughout the original game. The whole point of the remake's ending is that the heroes now know what fate had in store, but they've fought against that and are going to make a new future for themselves. The "unknown journey", or however it's described in the final blurb. To me, that felt like an admission from the writers that they simply can't or won't try to retell the original story, so it'll be fanfic from here on out.

Other than that, the remake was doing pretty well until Sephiroth used his sword to open a time portal by chopping a hole in reality, unleashing a sequence of pure Kingdom Hearts bulltrout of the highest order. Then again, things were already getting dubious when magic invisible time ghosts started intervening in events to prevent characters from learning too much or too little, or to ensure they got injured or stayed alive at the 'right' time.

That was my original worry about the ending to Remake, and was the main reason I disliked it (I still largely dislike the ending, but not as much as at first). But that Ultimania interview does seem to be pretty clear they're still following the general story in the next game.

I think the whole defying fate thing will be a bit of a bluff (or triple bluff?). I just think they disliked the idea that everyone would know exactly how things play out in the future games, because there would just be no real tension or speculation from the fans. I think the ultimate reason for that is they want you to think that Aerith might not die this time, so that when it inevitably happens anyway (in a different time and place), it'll still be a bit shocking to us.

My reason for dislike is almost the opposite.of that. O don't care if they're making some changes to the story (okay I do care about some major changes), but I'm extremely pissed that they decided to metaplot the game by introducing changing the story into the story, which is just stupid and reeks of Nomura.

Lol I dislike that too. They're not mutually exclusive!

I wanted them to either stick very closely to the original story, whilst just adding new sidequests and details.
    OR
    Make major changes from the start, and just tell it like a new story (maybe call it FF7 Retold or FF7 Reborn, or whatever), whilst being honest to us about the fact they're doing that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can’t speak for the execution yet, but I feel like I’m in the minority who actually really likes the metanarrative thing on paper

What do you mean by "yet"? Because you haven't seen the other games, or because you haven't finished this one yet?

Cos I'm not sure it really will be a "metanarrative" going forward.

I thought everyone had one at this point. Don't newborn babies emerge from the womb with PS4 in hand?