So there has been some bit of discussion online about a mysterious final Easter Egg that apparently shares space between the first two volumes of GotG. It is confirmed by James Gunn to exist and suggested that a team called New Rockstars may have uncovered a "big piece".

NR put together a longwinded theory that summarized like this: Peter's dying mother was actually host to a cosmic entity. The same cosmic entity he name-dropped in Vol2: Eternity.

Considering this theory didn't earn any confirmation from Gunn, I posit it is only half-true.

I half theory that it is second to this: Ego is not Quill's dad.

First, the comics have always presented Quill's dad as J'son of Spartax. Even the animated series does this. And Peter's middle name is Jason.

It is suggested that Quill's "half-cosmic" heritage is what allowed him to wield the Power Stone without being ripped apart. If Quill's mother is Eternity and his Ego, he always should have been a $h!t-ton more powerful. Instead, he relies mostly on gadgets. However, if Ego is not really his dad, then he is still only "half-cosmic".

Ego was a jerk. A good actor at playing daddy for a minute, but nothing suggests anything he said or did as genuine. So he could have lied to Quill. Hell, most if not all of those corpses could have been people who had no ties to Ego whatsoever. Ego knew Quill had survived the Power Stone. Probably he just figured channeling his own power couldn't be much more traumatizing.

Fans have speculating on the identity of Quill's dad since the first film. Vol2 came out and shoved Ego on our face to shut down that speculation... or at least postpone it.

I still think J'son is Peter's real biological father. Since Vol3 is not likely to strongly center on Petey, were J'son to appear it'd simply be a cameo to tease fans with his existence and we'd have to wait for Vol4 for confirmation of their relationship. If there's anyone in the world whose up for starring as his character for a fourth film (other than Chris Hemsworth and not counting the mashups) it would be Chris Pratt.

Anyway, TLDR: Ego lied. Peter's dad is J'son. Meredith Quill was Eternity. Booyah.

What's your take?