Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you love that your friends hate (2020 Edition)

Blog Entries

My friends don't like Visual Novel and Otaku games in general (like Steins;Gate series) ^^

I don't like Pes,Madden,Gta LOL

You don't like pez?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

IF THEY DUN LOVE MY GAMES, THEY ARE NOT MY FRIENDS!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

FFXII and FFT. A disturbing number of people have poor taste and don't like those games.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

'Hate', not at all. I see the vitriol online and am eternally glad that nobody I regularly associate with is like that. But I think it's pretty common for people to have a different experience. At least of my friends didn't care for Final Fantasy VII Remake; I thought it was pretty interesting. Most of the people whose opinions I get access to are devs, students, or critics though so there's a certain degree of interest or value-seeking even in something that's not working for us as individuals. I've enjoyed (and gained value from) a lot of games that weren't made for me.

I think the game where there's the biggest disparity is Football Manager. Plenty of people don't care for the spreadsheet simulator but I smurfing froth over it.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Disgaea.

There are a handful of people on EoFF that I bought and sent Disgaea and I don't know that any of them have finished it.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Xenosaga and Xenogears for starters.
    I just don't understand that. Great games.

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Disgaea.

There are a handful of people on EoFF that I bought and sent Disgaea and I don't know that any of them have finished it.
    I don't think you bought us any Disgaeas, but I enjoyed the one that I played.

Ashton tried playing one and also really liked characters and dialogue, but found it "off-puttingly" difficult and grindy.

For me, it's probably the Tenchu series. After 1 and 2 nobody else cared, but I think some of the later ones like Fatal Shadows were great.

Disgaea is offputtingly grindy. The grind is eternal.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Disgaea.

I don't think you bought us any Disgaeas, but I enjoyed the one that I played.

Ashton tried playing one and also really liked characters and dialogue, but found it "off-puttingly" difficult and grindy.
    Yeah I get that. The whole point is to grind

I don't think it was y'all either, I think you already had it

Throw me in there. I loved the characters and the banter between them and the story seemed interesting enough. But good lord. I'm kind of a special case in that regard though. I can barely play Final Fantasy Tactics games, or Fire Emblem games, because they are too grindy. I can't stand games that are all combat and story. I need other things to do. And thank god for Fire Emblem Three Houses. Such a breath of fresh air. And I really hate games like this where the "overworld" is just a picture of a map or town with dots on it. At least let me walk from A to B. There's already a severe lack of gameplay outside of combat. If I wanted JUST combat, I'd play Sarcraft

On the other hand. I think I get why people like them. You can put yourself in a safe headspace and just go. There's not a lot of "You forgot this item at the beginning of the game, so therefor you miss out on this item or character toward the end of the game". Everything seems to be in your hands. I don't think you're actually required to get to level 999 and do 99999 points of damage to beat the games. It's just an option to go crazy with

But yeah, once I found out you upgrade your weapons by fighting 10 - 100 battles inside the weapon, and you have to do X amount of battles just to have the option to leave the weapon and save your progress. I was out. I'm honestly surprised the series caught on with those kind of expectations. Are the sequels lighter, or more extreme than the original? I'd be interested in taste testing another, but I figure it's all the same with just different coats of paint

FFXIV Character

Way more extreme. I beat the secret boss with something like 9mil stats in the first game and on the more recent I'm in the 20mil and I get crushed

Back in school, I knew like 2 people who liked FF. It was considered kind of lame, I guess. Hate would be too strong a word, though. I'm pretty sure my friend group was strong just because of FF, or at least was part of the foundation for it. I only really speak to one person from that group now, but we still talk about FF fairly often.

Most of my friend group now don't play a lot of games, and when they do, they're "casual". They don't really care who is playing what, as far as I can tell.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Legendary Heroes Trails of x tend to be a bit... divisive among some of my friends. I personally adore the general worldbuilding and generally smart political drama to the point where I can tolerate the torrent of Anime Garbage (and as someone who loves Anime and is garbage I must stress that these series have a lot of Anime Garbage) but for some it's a total dealbreaker, which, yeah fair.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ff13 and sequels

mirrors edge honestly didn't get amazing reviews and mixed reception but I spent over a 100 hours beating time challenges in it and can still probably do the game in under 4hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. This one is pretty unanimous. Wolf Kanno is the only friend I have that’s played it and doesn’t have a visceral hatred for it.
    This is the really big one for me too. For me, Dragon Quarter is far and away the most interesting Breath of Fire game, and I'd probably go so far as to count it among my top ten RPGs of all time. But the game inspires so much hostility in almost of the RPG players I've met, both online and off. I can count on one hand the people I've met who even tolerate it, much less like it.