Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Discuss the Potential of Final Fantasy VIII Remake

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's been years since I played VII, but did Cloud not have inner monologues?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    It's been years since I played VII, but did Cloud not have inner monologues?
    He did monologue occasionally, but it was interspersed with his PTSD moments and Sephy and his true self kind of chatting him up. Squall did the monologue a lot more for his character since it showed the differences between how he acts versus how he thinks.

Honestly, I don't think the monologues would be all that difficult with voice acting, I just imagine part of it will feel like Tidus' narration bits from FFX. Now that I think about, Nojima was really into this inner dialogue thing for the early PlayStation entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Thoughts move faster than spoken lines and the pacing of fully acted scenes would be extremely off if Squall's inner monologues had to be spoken out as a scene is ongoing. It works in text because it makes the pace of the scene a bit more abstract.
    First, watch Gilmore Girls, nobody can think as fast as those women talk.

Secondly, how I've found soliloquy to work nicely in film is when it's laid over spoken dialogue of a less critical nature like characters summing up information we already know or arguing about what to do next.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Secondly, how I've found soliloquy to work nicely in film is when it's laid over spoken dialogue of a less critical nature like characters summing up information we already know or arguing about what to do next.
    I mean that works for those cases, sure, but that only works when the conversation is going on regardless. In FF VIII it happens several times that the other party is talking *to* Squall and even *expecting him to reply* but he only does to himself in an inner monologue, and actually mapping out in your head how the scene plays out in reality, dunno, it just feels strange whichever way it's cut.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I feel there are enough examples from film and TV to show that inner monologues are not terribly hard to pull off. Daria and Fight Club come to mind.

For gameplay changes:
    • I want Xu, Nida, and possibly the Pigtailed Library Girl to have a playable moment with the party as temp characters during the NORG sequence and the Garden Battle. I feel it would be cool.
    • I would love for them to add a battle where you can tackle the full Disciplinary Committee, maybe a fun "practice" style battle before the SeeD exam.
    • I would love for Laguna's squad to get an additional Limit Break each. Maybe tie it into my additional optional sequences.
    • While I am far more partial to Turn Based combat over ARPG junk, I do feel VIII's system may work well for that style of gameplay. You would still need to Draw and Junction magic but maybe add a few new layers to it. Like add an option where instead of stocking or casting a drawn spell, you can also choose to Boost and give your character a minor boost to their stats temporarily for the battle. It would likely work that offensive spells would boost attack and magic, while curative and defensive spells would temporarily boost HP and defenses.
    • Junction would work mostly the same but I would remove a good chunk of the %boost support skills and instead balance stats algorithms better and work in more classic FF skills or abilities that would work better with an ARPG system like Critical HP boost style skills or an auto-parry skill. I would also boost magic damage and change it so that you need a lower magic threshold for maximum stat boosts so you'll actually have some spells to cast without worrying about your stats.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I agree with you on Xu.

i want a gunblade peripheral i can swing around my living room and trigger pull to renzo and shout PERFECT

i agree with everything WK said

i want more post-flashback laguna as well. in the OG you sort of arrive at esthar and hes sort of there and while a lot about him is explained theres no real dialog between squall and lag, only some hints from kiros and ward about parentage. THEY SHOULD smurfING HUG AND trout.

same with seifer. loads of potential character let down in the last half or third of the game

It was very interesting to see each characters' fighting style evolve from "slash", "shoot", "punch-kick", "thwack", and "rolling headbutt" to actual semi-realistic combos.

I want to see this same level of evolution in the way that VIII's mains fight. It would have been nice at least if VII's 4xCut returned here as a Junction ability.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post

Smaller remakes like the 3D version of FFIV or Trials of Mana sure. But I would be willing to bet money we never see a remake of any FF from them that puts as much time and money in as the FFVII remake. Simply will not happen.
    There aren't many other games in the series that would really require a remake of the same scale as FF7.

All of the 2D games tend to have much simpler formulaic fantasy worlds, and don't have the insane variety and detail of the 3D games. And then everything after the PS1 is already in full 3D, so a remake isn't really needed, or wouldn't really change that much if it was done.

The only other games that could be turned into huge remakes are FF8 and FF9. And Square don't seem to be that interested in revisiting either of them. They almost never talk about them or refer to them.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They just released a remastered version not long ago!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Will they try and rebalance the junction system for a full remake? I would love to go full math mode and break the game again.

Yeah I don't think you will see a remake of VIII. If people had problems with the story back in 1999 they definitely would have issues with it now in an age where video game stories are far more streamlined and movie like. And to be honest Squall was pretty much Cloud with a different head of hair and Rinoa was pretty much Tifa. None of the other characters in VIII matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Pigtailed Library Girl
    Also give her a actual name too. How about Oscara..... Mayer.