Thread: Star Wars A New Hope

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Star Wars A New Hope

So years ago I told y'all that the only Star Wars film I saw was the last hour of Attack of the Clones so since today was May 4th I decided to watch Star Wars a new Hope on Disney +. I now know the context of all the tv shows and cartoons that referenced lines from this movie. I admit this movie starts off slow and I think the sound mixing is off in a couple parts, but once the party left off to the desert town with the bar the movie kept my attention consistently. For a movie in the 70s the cg is pretty good. I'm a bit disappointed with Darth Vader and the lack of lightsaber fights. I thought there would be a bunch of lightsaber fights and Darth Vader didn't seem that imposing or cool.

I also thought I was going to see that fight scene with Luke and Darth Vader fighting each other and telling him he's his father like I've seen parodied in every 90s cartoon. It was a fun film, but I was expecting more.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bit of a pedantic nitpick on my part but since CG refers to computer generated there's absolutely no CG in the movie. Making those effects was a hell of a lot harder back then and the original Star Wars trilogy is like a master class in practical effects. Models, matte paintings, rotoscoping, make up and masks, stop motion animation, and a bunch of other techniques. Definitely worth watching videos and things on how they did it all because it's fantastic examples of classic effects and problem solving.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If you were disappointed about a lack of lightsaber fights, this is a well done fan version of that fight re-imagined.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

I also thought I was going to see that fight scene with Luke and Darth Vader fighting each other and telling him he's his father like I've seen parodied in every 90s cartoon. It was a fun film, but I was expecting more.
    there are two more in this trilogy but I believe they made a new hope kind of all in one because they were unsure how it would preform. So the story could stand alone if it had to. But it was successful! So there's more! The second one is my favorite. I think you'd like it! It's The Empire Strikes Back. The third is The return of the Jedi. If you have the time and want, they are fun films to watch.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I have a question though. So diod Obi-Wan naked teleported during his fight with Vader at the end?

No, he "died" and became a non-physical being, and it doesn't have to make sense because space magic

Yeah lightsiders' bodies vanish when they die. Like Santa Claus
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

Empire Strikes Back is so epic. You gotta watch the next two fore sure.