Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How the rest will be divided up (my theory)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

Chapter 11- Aerith Leaves
    Chapter 12- Finding Aerith and the Sleeping Forest
    Chapter 13- The Ancient City, and Aerith death ?
    The one thing I'm absolutely convinced of is that Aerith won't die at the same time and place. They're gonna want it to be a shock for us.
    Maybe it'll be a bit earlier at Temple of Ancients, or maybe it'll be a bit later at the Northern Cave, or somewhere in the snowfield.

I could see it going a couple different ways. One is that perhaps Aerith won't die at all. Another is that she does die, even possibly in just the same way as the original, but then Square decides to give us the Holy Grail of FF7 rumors and make it real this time: Aerith Resurrection!

It'll be in the Sleeping Forest
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I can't imagine them changing it from Ancient City, it's an iconic location and I can't think of the scene without her "burial".

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they totally change everything, so who knows

Yeah and the materia bouncing down the steps is iconic. They'd have to certainly work hard if they replaced it with something else.

But since the end of Remake gave us the idea that their fate is now open to be changed, I've been convinced this is one of their main intentions. I bet they'll try and lure us into thinking she'll survive this time, that way when they inevitably kill her, it will create the same kind of shock we had with the original (assuming you're one of the people who played it on release in 97 so nothing was spoiled)

That was one of the problems with just following the original perfectly (which I was generally in favor of). These big moments in the story just wouldn't have the same impact when pretty much everyone knew they were coming ahead of time. Even most people who haven't played the original know about her death scene. It's one of the most famous moments in gaming history.

I think with proper voice acting and updated character design it could still be pretty damn affecting. It won't be a shock or a surprise but it could bring other, similar emotions if done well.

incidentally, i am pretty sure when things went a bit crazy towards the end of the remake there were some flash-forwards that featured the ancient city pool and those steps. im sure they were put in specifically to target that vulnerable nostalgic part of us who played the original

I'm also pretty sure they want us to think Aerith can be saved, but she won't. Her death is too important and impactful to the story, but they will want to shock us, even people who played the og.

It's a silly attempt at recreating the feeling of the original, if that's what it is. No one is going to be all that surprised if/when she dies. Everyone may be thinking "hey maybe she won't die this time," but that kind of thought won't produce the same shock as when you just weren't thinking about her dying and she suddenly gets killed. The only person who could actually experience the same shock is that rare gem who somehow never heard of her death and yet still is playing the FF7 Remake for some reason? I'm not sure that person exists but they are literally one in over a million if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    It's a silly attempt at recreating the feeling of the original, if that's what it is. No one is going to be all that surprised if/when she dies.
    If she dies in her sleep because Sephiroth poisoned her food, I'd be pretty damn surprised at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva95 View Post
    Her death is too important and impactful to the story.
    Again, no, no it wasn't. It never was and it never will be. She's not Telluh or Darth Vader. She didn't sacrifice herself while taking down the bad guy.

If at some point, ANY point in the story, it had been made clear that dying willingly was the ONLY way to summon Holy, then yes, her death would be important. But it's not. Cloud lost his hometown and even his own mother because of Sephiroth. Cloud was always gonna hunt down Sephiroth. Potentially, Sephiroth would always have told Cloud to meet him at the crater. Hojo would have always revealed that Cloud is a puppet. It's not as if Aerith had any greater power to console and convince Cloud than Tifa did. Aerith didn't know about Zack's trip to Nibelheim.

Aerith's death had no bearing on the plot or Cloud's motivations or even how we the audience viewed Sephiroth. We never hear anything about Holy until after her death, so potentially, the world would have been fine without its help.

Aerith's death is completely meaningless. You're welcome.

1. Saying her death is important and impactful to the story does not mean that it was a sacrifice that accomplished something.

2. Comparing the significance of her death unfavoravly to that of Tellah's is laughable. Tellah's death has very little significance and amounts to playing some sad music for a few seconds and then moving on like it never happened.

3. Yes, the game already does strongly imply that Holy was activated by Aeris. If not specifically by her death, than at least by what she was doing prior to her death, which certainly makes her death as much of a noble sacrifice as Tellah's.

4. The game also implies, either independently from or due to activation of Holy that Aeris bears some responsibility for the lifestream coming to protect the planet from Meteor. Likely only possible because she died and returned to the Lifestream.

Yeah I think it is pretty heavily implied that she was responsible for the lifestream destroying meteor.

In the "On the Way to a Smile" book, it states that Ancients have the power to retain their individuality within the lifestream, and that Aerith chose to do this in order to try and help Cloud. The part where the Geostigma is healed at the end of Advent Children was supposed to be Aerith consciously exerting her power from within the lifestream.

I think when you combine that with the fact that an image of her face flashes when the lifestream destroys meteor (in the original), it IS supposed to be her doing it.

Well, Yoshinori Kitase himself (grieving his mother's death), intended Aerith's death to be meaningless. For story, for plot, for characterization, for any kind of development within the FF7 mythos, her death is MEANINGLESS. It could literally be any other character who could fill her shoes by ultimately dying a MEANINGLESS death. Yuffie could've easily been chosen if they had decided during production to make her a mandatory character rather than a secret option.

No one would care if it were Yuffie, so no., it couldn't have been. I think you mean Sakaguchi and I've never jeard anything to the effect that it was supposed to be meaningless. Even if you're right though it doesn't change tje fact that it WAS impactful nor that it was obviously intended to be so. If a creator was so moved by their mother's death as to insert it into their story, obviously that's pretty damn important.

Again, "no one cares about Yuffie" because she was an OPTIONAL character. If she had been forced into the party from the beginning and her character arc was mandatory, plenty of people would have cared about her ultimate demise a lot more. Further, let's say there was no date option. Only Yuffie. After all, she was the only one out of three girls to kiss Cloud. She expressed the most affection toward him. Hell, even when Aeris died, Yuffie practically climbed into Cloud's arms for consolement. Yuffie is not only likable, she's damned lovable and it's only because players had the option to dismiss Yuffie and Vincent entirely that her story carries less meaning. But as of the Compilation, Yuffie is no longer strictly an optional character and you can't say trout like that anymore.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.