Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How the rest will be divided up (my theory)

Was there a mine?

Anyway, I do find it difficul to think of potential missions for a hub expansion. Especially considering you'll likely get that experience in flashback Nibelheim.

I think maybe Kalm's location should be moved if not completely merged with Chocobo Bill's Ranch.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Mithril mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post

I think maybe Kalm's location should be moved if not completely merged with Chocobo Bill's Ranch.
    Nah, they have such different moods between the different area. That's what I like about the FF7 world. It actually feels like a real world where every place is hugely different from the next.

It was really one of the first games to have something like that. In most games until that point, every locations was usually a variation of the same visual style. Like in FF6. I love FF6 but I couldn't tell you which town was which by just looking at them, unless they're one of the main story locations.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Chapter 1: Remake was just a dream. Aerith wakes up in a darkened alleyway staring at Mako seeping from a semi broken pipe - cue intro.

I guess I'll do one of these.

Part 2:

Chapter 1 - Cloud's Flashback - This could potentially take 2 chapter as others have suggested, particularly because there's a natural pause in the original game, but given the overall expansion of the game, 1 chapter may suffice. This seems like a good way to open the game. The journey from Midgar to Kalm seems boring and unnecessary and just a really bad way to open a game so I'm on favor of skipping it.

Chapter 2 - Kalm - To my mind this chapter would is Kalm as a hub but would include side quests taking you outside Kalm and even as far as the Chocobo Farm. The chapter would maybe end after spending the night at the Chocobp Farm (or at least this could be the point of no return for the side quests of this chapter).

Chapter 3 - The Swamp - I can imagine this being a full chapter with the Midgar Zolom chasing the party through the swamp.

Chapter 4 - Mithril Mines - I imagine this will be expanded like the sewers and train graveyard were in the first part. Maybe they'll give us more backstory/worldbuilding around the mines. Probable miniboss made out of something like the dragon enemies here. Possible Elena/Tseng boss fight.

Chapter 5 - Fort Condor - I'm not at all convinced this will be mandatory. If it is both the Fort and the (brief) approach to it will not be more than a chapter.

Chapter 6 - Yuffie - The road to Junon is the perfect place to introduce Yuffie. The chapter will largely take place on the forests around Junon, but ultimately will pretty much end with arrival at Junon or close enough to there.

Chapter 7 - Lower Junon - Before heading up (dolphin or no) lower Junon will act as a sidequest hub, possibly even sending you back to Fort Condor (or there for the first time of it isn't mandatory).

Chapter 8 - Upper Junon - The upper part of the city will also have sidequests but they will all be contained as you can't leave at this point.

Chapter 9 - Cargo Ship - Jenova boss fight as in the original but I not really sure what/howuch they can do to expand this. Perhaps it won't even be a full chapter but just the end of the previous. More likely they'll drag it put absurdly.

Chapter 10 - Costa Del Sol to Corel - Do I think Costa Del Sol will have sidequests? Sure. Do I think they'll waste a whole chapter on it? I hope not. Much like with Kalm, I hope/somewhat expect the chapter to cover the area from one town location to next.

Chapter 11 - Gold Saucer - Okay, this one needs a full chapter to itself. Lots of minigames, lots of sidequests, lots of fun. That said, some go between quests involving Corel and Gold Saucer may be warranted. Also this chapter may begin as the party enters Corel, but will focus primarily on the Saucer.

Chapter 12 - Desert Prison - Pretty much as in the original.

Chapter 13 - Chocobo Racer - Will they stretch this out a whole chapter? No clue. Seems stretchy but it would avoid an odd change of stage in the chapter. If not the chapter may include buggying to the next location but probably not the full location itself.

Chapter 14 - Gongaga - Probably lots of Zack BS here. smurf you, Zack.

Chapter 15 - Cosmo Canyon - This chapter will include the approach to Cosmo Canyon, talking to Bugenhagen and the other elders and Cosmo Canyon as a sidequest hub.

Chapter 16 - The Gi Attack - The whole Nanaki and Seto thing and level preceding it

Chapter 17 - Nibelheim - Cloud freaking out that his burned hometown is in one piece. Tifa freaking out too maybe a little this time? A lot more interaction with fake townspeople and trying to get to the bottom of it. Recruiting Vincent and possibly replacing Lost Number with a more meaningful boss fight. Sephiroth boss battle in Shinra mansion.

Chapter 18 - This chapter reserved for more Nomura BS. Also, assuming the same number of chapters as the original, this chapter number could be reached either by adding a second flashback chapter or splitting Costa Del Sol to Corel into two chapters. Possibly both if we also get rid of Chocobo racing as a separate chapter. So a few ways to follow same basic structure and have the same or nearly the same number of chapters as on the first part.

Part 3:

1. Mt.Nibel
    2. Rocket Town
    3. Drifting on the Tiny Bronco
    4. Wutai Continent Exploration
    5. Chase the Materia Thief
    6. Teaming up with the Turks
    7. Hunt for the Keystone
    8. Temple of the Ancients
    9. Bone Village and Sleeping Forest
    10. City of Ancients
    11. Aftermath
    12. Icicle Inn and Snowboarding
    13. Great Glacier
    14. Gaea's Cliff
    15. Whirlwind Maze
    16. The Promised Land?
    17. More Nomura BS

Close enough. Could separate bone Village and Sleeping Forest into 2 chapters of include another chapter before Bone Village to kind of transition the party there to get exactly 18.

Part 4:

Chapter 1 - Escape from Junon
    Chapter 2 - Mideel
    Chapter 3 - Corel Huge Materia - This assumes Huge Materia quest will be kept mostly intact, which certainly may not be true. However, speculation on the course of the game without the huge Materia quest at the level of granularity of chapter subdivisions would be too difficult, so I'm not even going to try.
    Chapter 4 - Battle of Fort Condor
    Chapter 5 - The Lifestream - This, like the original flashback, could potentially be carried over two chapters but let's say one for now.
    Chapter 6 - Junon Underwater Reactor
    Chapter 7 - Submarine
    Chapter 8 - Gelnika - Considering the possibility that this optional dungeon from the original will become mandatory.
    Chapter 9 - Rocket to the Meteor
    Chapter 10 - Ancient Forest - Like Gelnika, maybe less likely because it has no story importance.
    Chapter 11 - Return to City of the Ancients
    Chapter 12 - Return Midgar - This Chapter might go to Proud Clod or there might be two chapters from heading back to Midgar to Proud Clod, but there will surely be at least two Midgar return chapters.
    Chapter 13 - Get Hojo
    Chapter 14 to the rest -Northern Crater and Beyond - Not sure how they'll divide this up, but I'm sure the last dungeon of the final will carry over multiple chapters and they may extend the dungeon into other areas including maximal Nomura BS. I've mostly confined my predictions of Nomura BS to the final chapters of each game and hopefully it will mostly be confined to that, but I'm sure the plot of each game will be at least somewhat suffused with it like the plot ghosts in the first part.

Might add more chapter descriptions/explanations later for parts 3 and 4 or might not, but that's my basic rundown.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 06-13-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I guess I'll do one of these.

Chapter 18 - This chapter reserved for more Nomura BS.
    I like to imagine Squenix call it "Some Nomura BS" when they're plotting out the story too. Everyone except nomura anyway.

Most of that seems very plausible though. I'm fairly convinced it'll be a 4 part game overall, so Nibelheim seems a plausible end point. It'd probably make for a better end point than my cargo ship idea really.

Also the fact that Nibelheim is in front of a mountain range would probably be quite helpful for them dividing the "world map" up. That way they don't need to create the stuff behind the mountains.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 06-14-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Yeah. I tend to favor 4 parts, because the lengths will be a bit more comparable to Midgar (even though Midgar is definitely less than a fourth and probably more like 15%-20% of the original, it has a little more opportunity for expansion than some other parts, so putting it at about 1/4 of the total remake feels about right) and I feel like there are some good beats to stop at with four, but it might get trickier with 5. Three parts is doable for sure, but it might feel like it drags or like they're breezing past some parts too quickly. Also, honestly, even though I think Aerith's death is a great end to disc 1 of the original, I don't think it's necessarily a great end point for a self-contained game, but it would probably be the natural endpoint for the second part in a three part scenario. With four parts, it makes it a bit more natural to put the first visit to the northern crater at the end of a game, which is more fitting for a final dungeon to a game. Granted, Nibelheim doesn't meet the final dungeon scenario so well either, but I expect some Nomura trout to be filled in anyway. I just generally feel like Aerith's death and the northern crater are too close to have her death at the end of the game. Then you do the northern crater at the beginning of the next part? That's gonna feel off to me. It's way too much of a multiple dungeon rush in the original (and would probably be that way in the remake too) to place it at the beginning of a game.

Also, any more than four parts and I have to put serious reservations on them ever completing the thing. Even four parts might be pushing that. Given the development times on these things, you have to imagine that a lot of the creative team will be pushing retirement by the time they finish this up already. Major players dropping out could kill or severely hinder this project. It also should be noted that, while sales for the first part were surely great, there's no guarantee on fan interest being maintained over a period of a decade or more (I suspect more, as I'm thinking minimum 4 years before we see the next part, more likely 5 as in we could be looking at 2035 before this remake is finished and a lot can change in that time). These arguments might favor a three part remake, but I'm just kind of doubting they'll do only three parts, unless it's only three parts because the remake's never completed. Suffice it to say that if/when they finally do finish, I think they're going to be mostly interested in new projects and there will be no talk at all of remaking other FFs in any capacity.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 06-14-2020 at 04:06 AM.

I think the only reason they ended at Midgar is because they wanted it to line-up with Zack's place of death.

It's possible. I tend to think that decision was made well before the game was thoroughly plotted out, including likely before a decision about Zack's inclusion in the ending was made. I think it was more on the basis of how iconic the setting of Midgar is for FF7 and possibly because many people always wondered what the original game would have been like if it was all contained to Midgar (I know I did), even if they were more wondering about further events in Midgar rather than stretching out the Midgar events of the original game to the length of a full game.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Hunting Sephiroth is still (part of) the explicit goal, but I expect things to deviate fairly heavily for anything, anyone, and any place whose main function comes after FF7Original's Disk 1 concludes. One of my favourite story beats is Cid going to space, but I absolutely believe they'll scrap this (and the entire Huge Materia quest). That Cloud has already gone to, like, the edge of time or whatever makes going to space so much less noteworthy and marks it as an easy thing to cull. I also expect Wutai to feature earlier and more heavily, given its closeness to a lot of expanded material—which could, in fact, drastically shift the beats on Disk 1 and see practically an entirely different set of events.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

"Hunting" sephiroth makes a lot less sense in this version though. That's what annoys me about some of the changes they made. In the original, they think Sephiroth is just a man who's travelling across the land, so it makes sense to chase after him.

But in this version, they've already seen that he can fly, appear out of thin air, and turn into a clone guy (from their point of view). The idea of "lets chase him" would make so little sense from the point of view of these characters. They'd have no idea about where to actually go. Whereas in the original, they think they're literally chasing a man who's just walked out of Midgar.

To some extent, hunting Sephiroth is just a rationalization even in the original though. Cloud is drawn to Sephiroth because of the Reunion. That's part of why he chases after him.

I can't remember the exact specifics of what's supposed to be going on in the original. Is the version of Sephiroth throughout the first disc supposed to be just Jenova's headless body pretending to be Sephiroth?

Or is it another clone person just carrying the body? Like is suggested in Remake.

Your point could be true, but the player doesn't understand any of the reunion stuff at that point. So I think it does need a practical rationalization for the story to make sense.
    But then again, they've already kinda abandoned the idea of a self-contained story by randomly including Zack, even though newcomers have no idea who he was.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 06-17-2020 at 08:04 PM.

I was always under the impression it was Jenova in reality, but casting the illusion of Sephiroth (or you could view it as Sephiroth projecting his image using the powers of Jenova). That's why whenever Sephiroth comes at you before you reach his body the Northern Crater, the boss fight is always with Jenova, not a Sephiroth clone.

Also, either way even if it's just carrying Jenova's body, I think my point is still valid, because the Sephiroth clones also follow him around.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Chapter 1: Remake was just a dream. Aerith wakes up in a darkened alleyway staring at Mako seeping from a semi broken pipe - cue intro.
    Cue end credits
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.