Thread: The Laughing Scene in 2020

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Laughing Scene in 2020

Man it's been a long time since this game first came out hasn't it?

After all these years, especially people who first played this game a decade and a half ago, how do you feel about one of the most infamous scenes in the game nowadays? Is it different from how you used to feel about it? Has your perspective changed or stayed the same? Were you affected by how other people took the scene, one way or another?

Discuss~

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't minded it for a while now, especially now that I know that it's supposed to be awkward and weird even in context (I've heard, on here I'm pretty sure, that people often take it out of context.)

To be honest, I don't think it was ever that bad - the only time I think it seemed off for me was the fist time, and that was because (for whatever reason) I wasn't listening correctly so I didn't know what they were even doing for the first few moments. I don't remember if I ever found it any more weird than it was meant to be in the scene, but yeah, I don't find anything wrong with it, like it doesn't seem to be a bad scene to me.

I've always laughed with them, to be honest. I never found that moment weird because I've always thought it was supposed to be funny.

I always loved the scene. Everything between Tidus and Yuna was great. The only problem with it today, is the problem with the entirety of the game: the voice acting and character animations/lipsyncing is really rough.
    The amount it improved by the time FF12 came along was huge.

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

Just had to live through it again a week or so ago, age has really made it worse.
    :joey:

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I appreciate this scene more and more as people find it the opposite

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

It is not wine and it did not get better with age.

I wouldn't mind it as much if Tidus was a more likable character. Or a more intelligent character. The confidence and lack of shame is fine on its own. But when paired with an idiotic manchild like him, it still rubs me the wrong way

I feel like if Persona 4 Yosuke, or Persona 5 Ryuji did it, it would be a lot more forgivable

I'm completely not opposed to someone being adorkable. But Tidus is just an annoying idiot, and personifying being an annoying idiot does not endear him to me more

When I got to the laughing scene, it made me cringe for some reason. I saw that scene recently last month.

It's one of those moments that are supposed to be cringey because Tidus and Yuna are miserable and are trying their best to stay positive throughout everything and fake forced silly laughter is well, a bit cringe. Never understood the hate for it. People take it way too seriously. Let these poor lost and confused kids laugh.

It's just a dumb scene that is constantly taken out of context and blown way out of proportion, usually just to trout on the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It’s cringe but it’s intentional cringe. The game has far greater legitimate flaws.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

In context it was done well. It is supposed to be a bit cringe so to see it originally I laughed at the scene. Honestly Stay away from the summoner was much worse and still is.