Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RPGs which should be remade

I feel like a lot of Japanese developers have lost what made their games special in the first place, and remakes helps them re-tread those paths and maybe re-learn what they've forgotten. So as long as they actually try, then I'm fine with re-makes, and would much prefer a lazy port of a game I actually like but can't easily play anymore, like say Final Fantasy VIII, rather than some phoned in schlock like Lost Sphere or Oninaki

Counter to that though, I do not trust anyone to do justice to Xenogears. Even the original team, I feel like the magic has probably dissipated by now. Considering Xenoblade Chronicles is the closest they've come to making anything as good, and they immediately lost the magic again right after

I doubt they would remake Final Fantasy Type-0 since they remastered it, and I doubt it even sold that well afterward

I would dig a remaster or port of Shadow Hearts or Legend of Legaia, or Dragoon

Speaking of which, anyone get caught up in the shenanigans that GameSpot and Polygon did months ago, lying that Blue Point was doing a Legend of Dragoon remake like they did with Shadow of the Colossus, and then when Blue Point denied it, saying they were busy with other things, suddenly they all started pushing a petition to get them to start making it when it was never on their plate to begin with? Stupid game journalism...

Edit: In my rant, I forgot to mention that I think Shining Force should get some grade-A treatment. But I'm also pretty sure nobody could be trusted to do it justice. Which is sad since it seems like it'd be easy to do. Fire Emblem with a world map. But they tried once and failed already with an atrocious GBA port
    Last edited by Vyk; 06-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Legend of Dragoon is the first that comes to mind, but I think a remaster would be better than a remake. The addition system was fun and it really pushed the hardware of the time, and I would love to see it keep it's style, just update it and balance out the characters more.

Secret of Mana could use a full remake though. It's pretty well known that a good 40% of the game was cut, so seeing a project to expand the game to include those parts of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    [*]Cosmic Star Heroine (never heard of it. Yeah, well it exists.)
    Then why include it? Especially since it's just 3 years old.
    I just saw this. The "never heard of it" part is supposed to be an external reader. That's the intended pattern.

(SPOILER)Read thus:
    A: Breath of Fire
    B: Which one?
    A: I don't know. Pick one.

A: FFT
    B: Why?
    A: Don't ask. You won't like the answer.

A: The Bouncer
    B: What the hell's that?
    A: It's a beat'em up RPG

A: Cosmic Star Heroine
    B: Never heard of it.
    A: Yeah, well, it exists.

And just to be clear, I don't enter these forums under the general assumption that everyone here is instantly familiar with every RPG in existence which is why I instead assume there are some obscure titles some may not know of.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I think the question is why you think a 3 year old game that almost no one played (although I did play and finish it) would need a remake.

The truth is that I misread the wiki. I was interested in playing the game but didn't see it is already on PS4. So I guess my real thing was not for a remake but a port... which now I see is unnecessary.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I'm generally not a fan of remakes as a concept, but I kinda agree with Suikoden III. It was a strong game overall, but it was just so damn clunky in the dev team's first transition to 3D; the game's major defects are all technical. A more polished version would be pretty nice.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

breath of fire 3 plz.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Chrono trigger so I can finally play it, Radiata Stories because I loved it, and for sure the first Unreal.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Chrono trigger so I can finally play it, Radiata Stories because I loved it, and for sure the first Unreal.
    Chrono trigger is half off on steam night now, so if you have a windows machine go get it!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I remembered I played Chrono Trigger using a SNES emulator. Those were the days.

FFXIV Character

Gonna go get Chrono Trigger for steam

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Chrono trigger is half off on steam night now, so if you have a windows machine go get it!
    I have it as part of the FF VI (maybe IV) bundle for the PlayStation but I want to get it remade or ported to switch. I might pick it up for DS.

Oops I didn't think the other post went through

Aren't the Steam games weird iOS ports? Or did they actually try harder when they did Chrono Trigger?

Xenogears is the one that immediately comes to mind, because as much as I love it, it's horribly unfinished, and disc two had the potential to be so much more than it was. But I'd really want Monolith Soft and Tetsuya Takahashi to be involved if Square-Enix decided to extend the franchise, be that through a remake, a reboot, or a sequel.

I'd also personally love to see a remake of the first Grandia. I feel like it's underappreciated outside of Japan, and while I can sort of understand why (arriving two years later than the original Saturn version with a spotty localisation and horrible English voice acting probably didn't help its chances), for me, it's one of the most memorable RPGs of that era. The cast of characters is endearing and sweet, I love the game's mixture of world cultures, its adventurous spirit, and its sense of genuine scale, and while the story does nothing original, I think it's one of the absolute best takes on the traditional JRPG story formula, with loads of really memorable moments (the scenes surrounding Justin's decision to leave Parm, in particular, are genuinely touching and really well written in my opinion). I feel like with updated graphics (maybe something in the vein of one of the modern Tales games), better dungeon designs, and a revamped battle system drawing on some of the innovations made in the game's sequels, it could do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    I remembered I played Chrono Trigger using a SNES emulator. Those were the days.
    I remember playing it on an old version of ZSNES that didn't emulate the console's sound chip correctly. In particular, the wind sound was bizarre and kind of creepy (it sounded like the one in this recording of the FFVI intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjERjWIOmY&t=1m55s). I had no point of reference for how the game was actually supposed to sound, so it kind of blew my mind when I played a legit version years later and realised that the wind was really supposed to sound like wind.

You had to disable certain background layers in areas that were covered by fog in order to progress, too, due to problems the emulator had with displaying transparencies. It all feels kind of fuzzy and nostalgic to me now, but in hindsight, it's sort of wild what I was willing to put up with as a kid to play Square games that were never released here.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Skies of Arcadia