Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPGs which should be remade

Default RPGs which should be remade

24 RPGs in need of Remakes (why 24? It just popped into my head.)

• Breath of Fire (which one? I don't know. Pick one.)
    • Vagrant Story
    • Xenogears
    • Xenosaga
    • Shadow Madness
    • Shadow Hearts
    • Legend of Dragoon
    • Legend of Legaia
    • Parasite Eve
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Chrono Cross
    • Fable
    • Final Fantasy Type-0
    • Final Fantasy Tactics (why? Don't ask. You won't like the answer.)
    • Valkyrie Profile
    • Mother/Earthbound
    • Dark Cloud/Dark Cloud 2 (yeah, I know they're not supposed to be related)
    • The Bouncer (what the hell's that? It's a beat'em up RPG.)
    • Ehrgeiz (isn't that a fighting game? But it's got an RPG dungeon-crawler built in.)
    • Zelda (but that's an adventure game, not an RPG. I know. I want it remade as an RPG.)
    • Cosmic Star Heroine (never heard of it. Yeah, well it exists.)
    • Phantasy Star (is that the same thing? Of course it's not.)
    • Suikoden III

Is that 24? If not, just count Dark Cloud or Mother as two separate entries. I don't care.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The first Final Fantasy could use a remake like VII. As being the first it has the most room for improvement and they could give it an actual story this time.

I'd like a remake of Threads of Fate, but I know that's never going to happen. I should really cast out all thehope I have for that game and a sequel by now.

Cosmic Star Heroine came out like 2 or 3 years ago. it doesn't need a remake.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 05-07-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I'd like a remake of Valkyrie Profile...great game! ^^

I frankly just want an HD port of Dragon Quest 8. There is no definitive version of that game. You can't get it HD anywhere, except maybe on a phone, where it's terribly ported.
    And the 3DS version has loadsa cool additions.

I just want the 3DS version, but with the PS2 graphics, upscaled in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus79 View Post
    I'd like a remake of Valkyrie Profile...great game! ^^
    I don't think I even need a remake of this -- just an HD remaster would be incredible!

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Ar Tonelico 2 just so it's on something besides PS2 (with a sloppy localization job that introduced a game-breaking bug, at that)
    Lost Odyssey so it's not lost and forgotten on the Xbox 360
    White Knight Chronicles 1+2 because those games actually had promise, the execution just wasn't great.
    Wild Arms 5 because it's the best one and maybe it'd reinvigorate the series
    Legend of Dragoon because Legend of Dragoon

In some cases, remaster works just as well, I suppose.

Final Fantasy almost has been remade given the release of Mobius. The main character is Wol and a lot of the story seems to be there. It's kind of hard for me to tell because I lost interest due to its one major flaw: it's a freaking MOBILE GAME. I try. I really do try to get into these. But it's impossible. It's simply impossible.

What about Another Eden? The spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger released as a mobile gacha game. Nope, I've come to hate that too. After 3 months of grinding (because I can't maintain interest longer than an hour) to finally beat the "goblin king" (or whatever the hell he's called, I don't care anymore), I realized the thing just doesn't hold my interest. Even when they "try" to make some of your gacha characters interesting by tossing in some sidequests that almost flesh out their backstory. Even when they do their miniscule but still ultimately meaningless crossovers with games like Persona. I just don't care.

Epic 7 had some promise in its story and characters as well. But simply by virtue of being a mobile gacha game, what potential it once might've had is quickly destroyed.

No. This isn't a rant. These are three more titles that need true console remakes. Regardless of whether their original developers are willing to make such a thing happen.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd be so down for a Trials of Mana styled Chrono Trigger remake.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    24 RPGs in need of Remakes (why 24? It just popped into my head.)
    [*]Cosmic Star Heroine (never heard of it. Yeah, well it exists.)
    Then why include it? Especially since it's just 3 years old.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Breath of Fire and Lunar games would be cool.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, the big one would be Xenogears. It's unfinished so a remake would feel justified and lord knows the gameplay hasn't aged as well as I would have hoped. I would just require Monolith Soft and Sorya Saga to be attached to the game still.

I'm not really sure what else except maybe FFV and VI to get proper 3D remakes. Not expecting VIIR level of course, but I feel a Trials of Mana levels remake would be nice. Also, Shin Megami Tensei 1, 2, and if... just so Atlus would have an excuse to release them in the West. Wild Arms 2 would also be nice.

Guardian's Crusade was pretty good, but many aspects were more annoying than charming.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I was talking about an Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 collection/remake the other day.

Well, anything that's not a remake is essentially inevitably a spiritual successor: similar characters, similar plot, similar gameplay, similar worlds, etc.

Whether it's a remake or an SS, there are no "new" RPGs. I know. I've personally been working on a "new" RPG for the past 15 years.

Don't want remakes? Why fix what ain't broken, right? Only problem being that even the most beautiful landmark in the world occasionally needs a touch up. Sadly, sometimes a "remaster" just doesn't have enough bang for one's buck.

But again, "new" stuff ain't always great and I more often don't pick up titles I'm not already familiar with. I was interested in OT until I learned it was Switch only. There are so many options in RPG-land but I just don't really care for many of them.

I'm still holding out for a Remake/Sequel to SNK's Crystalis. First RPG I ever played and I still enjoy it now. It just needs better graphics.