One of the main issues with Remake and the games that will follow, is that they can't possibly expand every location with the size and detail that they did Midgar. I wish they could, but the reality is that it would take like 6 games and 20 years to finish the whole thing, so they're probably not going to.

So if you had to pick just 3 locations that would get that same treatment as Midgar (and all the others are just left as brief as they are in the original), what would those locations be? And why? (to clarify, I obviously don't mean everything expanded to be the same size of Midgar. I mean expanded by the same relative amount. So a 2 hour segment becomes like 8 hours or 10 hours perhaps)

My 3 picks are:

Junon - the general concept of a city based around a massive cannon was always peek fantasy silliness, so I love that. I think it's also important for the story that they indicate that Shinra does have this global influence, that the story implies they do. So Junon being this powerful center of the Shinra military arm should add a lot to that feeling. It's also a place we visit repeatedly in the story, so it makes sense they'll flesh it out quite a bit (as opposed to somewhere like Kalm that we only visit once in the entire story).

Cosmo Canyon - of all the kind of 'homely' places on the world map, this is surely the best. Cosmo Canyon makes sense to put focus on because it becomes the kind of spiritual home of the party, and was supposedly where Avalanche was originally started. It's also presented as being a sort of town that has a sizeable population, so there's plenty of room to expand. I think I mostly just loved the design and vibe of the place though. Like a kind of hippie Mecca type place.

Wutai - Wutai is essentially supposed be an entire country in the lore of FF7. It's not just that one town, it's the entire western continent. This needs to be expanded just so it actually makes sense within the story, because you would need a much bigger society if they were to legitimately challenge Shinra in a war. I would hope there are smaller villages and forts added to the western continent too, to help create this sense that they're a potential global power like Shinra. It also happens to be a pretty and interesting location.

Runner up: Gold Saucer. This would be great too, and I hope they still make it a spectacle. But I was never that fussed about the kind of meaningless detached mini-games. I always prefer the ones that are intertwined into the story, so I hope they don't make it too much of a focus.