Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah but that's the point of the randomness. Very few games are great in every field and some games may only have one strength to their name. So the randomness helps keep titles that probably would have never made it past the first round a chance, while also keeping things interesting by taking out a few sacred cows on the way. I love FFVI to death, but I have a feeling that if gameplay had been the category it would have been a tighter race.

Round 2 is looking to have some serious match ups as well.

Disappointed but not surprised about Final Fantasy XIII losing, even in the category I consider to be one of its greatest strengths. I know I'm in a tiny minority on that one.

I am a bit surprised about XIII-2 winning, got lucky with the match up and the category.

It's too bad that Nier: Automata didn't get farther, but side content isn't its greatest strength, so it's understandable.

It's also kind of a bummer that The Old Republic got knocked out so soon, but I don't know how anybody could vote for it in the gameplay category. I even nominated it and I couldn't vote for it, not for its gameplay.

I was pretty surprised to see Ar nosurge show up at all. I enjoyed it a bit, but imo it's pretty average in every category, except maaaaaybe in music. The music's pretty good. I'd be interested to know who nominated it, and what your reasoning is.

Dragon Age: Origins is the biggest upset for me. That cast is sooooo good, one of the best in video games. If Vagrant Story really has a better cast than Dragon Age: Origins, I need to play it ASAP.

Mostly I'm just surprised at how many of these games I haven't played. I gotta play more RPGs. That's my number one takeaway so far.
    Last edited by remy5623; 10-13-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Without the randomness it'd be just another popularity contest, which grows stale and predictable fast on a small forum like this

Well, partially it still is a popularity contest, but at least things are changed up a little bit. I wish there was more discussion among the people who vote though, i'm looking at you all you non-posting voters.

As for Ar nosurge, I was the one who nominated that, it was one of my top 10 games in the last decade because of its story, characters, music and how they're interwoven, plus I liked the gameplay. Just..y'know, not as much as the gameplay of XII, which is why I voted against it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well that's every game that made it in here. Any games you're surprised you didn't see? Which games that made it through surprised you the most?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't remember any games in particular being notably absent, though I might just be failing to remember. A couple painful eliminations already of course, but it's to be expected, and the random nature of the matchups kinda makes it inevitable that a lot of games are going to be caught at their worst points.

I guess Final Fantasy X-2 didn't make it in, nor did Ys Origin. Though tbh I forget if even I nominated them. Kudos to my fellow Falcom nominators though, even if I don't expect their games to make it too far in the long run.

... wait, am I crazy or did Persona 4 and 5 not make it in either? Huh.

FFXIV Character

Even though I know there are people who liked the game, I was surprised someone used one of their 5-10 nominations for Breath of Fire 5. And then it even got lucky in its category and opponent

Also, this wouldn't have changed the result of the match, but I noticed Ar Tonelico 1 was in and not 2, though my nomination was for 2. I figured someone else (surprisingly) nominated the first but now that all the games have been revealed i guess it was a mix-up because of the titles of the games

But like I said, it would still have lost to P3 anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, BoFV has always been a great game. Some blind people just failed to appreciate it

How the heck did a million Dragon Age games get in here and no P4 or P5? Well, I guess it's my fault for forgetting to nominate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I know I’ve personally limited myself to one per series. That said, I wouldn’t nominate either because one I haven’t played (5) and one I really don’t think deserves to be here (4)

Also, I totally blame Murd for all those Dragon Age games on there. He’s the one always giving JRPGs the side eye for some reason. You know. On a Final Fantasy fansite

I don't mean I forgot to nominate P4 and P5. I definitely would have nominated them if I had remembered to do nominations at all. Fortunately, those seem to be the only two games of those I would have nominated that didn't make it anyway.

FFXIV Character

I was going to stick to one nomination per series when it was 5 nominations per person, but upped it to 2 per series when it increased to 10..and then for my 10th nomination cheated and nominated a 3rd for one series

But I wouldn't have nominated Persona anyway, they're great games but there would've been others I'd have nominated before them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post

Also, this wouldn't have changed the result of the match, but I noticed Ar Tonelico 1 was in and not 2, though my nomination was for 2. I figured someone else (surprisingly) nominated the first but now that all the games have been revealed i guess it was a mix-up because of the titles of the games
    Yeah sorry about that. When I was making the list I forgot the 2 somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post

I guess Final Fantasy X-2 didn't make it in, nor did Ys Origin. Though tbh I forget if even I nominated them. Kudos to my fellow Falcom nominators though, even if I don't expect their games to make it too far in the long run.

... wait, am I crazy or did Persona 4 and 5 not make it in either? Huh.
    Yeah, I was pretty surprised you didn't nom X-2. You nominated a few FFs, just not that one.

Persona 5 did throw me off. Though I figure it was because some people were tired of hearing about it. Same with P4 which was also badly milked. Persona 3 was nommed by two different people, and Persona 2 was my nomination. In fact a few of the older titles were my doing because I wanted the list to expand beyond a few flagship series. So you can blame me for a lot of the SNES/PSX RPGs that made this list.

I feel the two biggest surprises for me was seeing Romancing SaGa 2 and Brave Fencer Musashi advance to round 2. Was expecting both of them to lose badly in their first round. RS2 especially threw me off considering this forums preference for strong character driven RPG story telling.

The biggest personal upset for me is still Bloodborne. Granted I knew it was doomed the second I saw it was pitted against FFX, but I do still feel that it was robbed. X's OST isn't one of the strongest outside of a few stellar tracks whereas I feel Bloodborne's score is actually one of the best From Software has made.

Looking at the Round 2 pairings, I've got some personal darlings pitted up against each other so the second round will be just as heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Also, I totally blame Murd for all those Dragon Age games on there. He’s the one always giving JRPGs the side eye for some reason. You know. On a Final Fantasy fansite
    Actually, that was me! I love JRPGs, but I also love Dragon Age.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to wait until the final match is over before we start round 2. I'm thinking for the second round to assign two categories per match. So there will be two criteria for the match-ups. The other thing I am toying with is also scrambling the entries so instead of looking at the Round 1 winners on the first point and figuring out who is up against what, it would be more interesting to match them up through RNG again to see if we can't get some more interesting results. Do these sound like good ideas?