Thread: Microscope

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Microscope

Microscope is an intensely difficult TTRPG to sell people on, but is some of the most fun I've had with TTRPGs for agessss.

It is, basically, a collaborative and structured world-building game. You create a general theme you want to explore (e.g. "Humanity expands beyond the stars"), define a Palette of topics you want to include or exclude, define a start and end Period and its associated Tone (e.g. Start: [DARK] Collapse of global civilisation due to excessive resource consumption, End: [LIGHT] Humanity constructs its first Dyson sphere around Sol with the aid of alien civilisations), and then take turns adding new Periods, building Events within Periods, or Scenes within Events.

You can run the game entirely using Utgar's Chronicles, which some lunatic built and hosts for free, and you can pop in and out as and when needed.

I've taken to using this as the Session 0 of every other TTRPG I run now, in addition to using it on its own, and it's just so damn fun.

Any of y'all have experience with this system? Do you even TTRPG, bruh?

If you want to try it out, I'd be happy to run a cheeky one-off with a small group in the new year

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll check it out, always up to try out a new TTRPG

Lately I've been playing Valor with a group of friends and we always have a blast. Gameplay is really streamlined and fluid, and it places a lot of emphasis on the roleplaying aspects. I highly recommend it. Check it out here

Also the game is made by one of our own at EoFF, Behold the Void.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh damn, that's super cool that we have our very own TTRPG designer!