Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep, after a months of contests and going through 80 contestants, EoFF's current RPG Thunderdome champion is:

Chrono Trigger!

2784-66688-Pic1JPG-550x.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nice comeback, considering it got eliminated earlier Still pretty happy with this result! Not surprised at all, but still satisfied

Articles
    Blog Entries

As deserved as it was a predictable favorite. Congrats to a true timeless (ha ha) classic.

Way too predictable. As disappointing as it was unsurprising. Not at all a bad game, but firmly.cemented as a highly overrated game. And ultimately all the categories and stuff meant nothing,because didn't CT win the last one of these too?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It did, but it will always have an asterisk on this win seeing how it was eliminated in a prior match and only made back in by voting. Still, the game is well beloved, so it's no surprise it would dominate a lot regardless of the category system.

I ended up liking the category system because it did keep the roster more interesting and competitive in the early stages. As usual, the major factor of the tournament was recognition. Some games survived longer than they probably would have thanks to the high amount of niche support on this forum, while some others had the opposite issue and lost quickly because only two people had played the game at most. Lots of rounds has abstentions which allowed a few games to last longer or go out faster than I anticipated so I'm pretty content with the way things turned out. Had it been a straight popularity contest, I feel some games would have excelled longer (probably a lot of the Final Fantasy series) while a lot of niche titles would have never made it past the second round. I also found it amusing how often Western games seemed to always wind up going head to head with each other.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The category system was very cool and resulted in some unlikely outcomes. Great job running this WK!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'll admit that one. CT is strong in almost all categories. I don't think it's the strongest in any category, except maybe side content (and even there I narrowly give the win to Persona), but it is strong in nearly all categories, which makes it hard to knock out based on category selection.

And, yes,the category system did lead to some interesting developments throughout, so I'm exaggerating. I'm just disappointed it didn't alter the ultimate outcome. Think what you would feel if FF7 won again. :P. That's probably about how I feel.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah well if CT wasn't let back in due to a Redemption Island-style twist, FFT probably would have walked away with it. This is also not exactly a scientific process if three votes determined the final round.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I'll admit that one. CT is strong in almost all categories. I don't think it's the strongest in any category, except maybe side content (and even there I narrowly give the win to Persona), but it is strong in nearly all categories, which makes it hard to knock out based on category selection.
    Interesting enough, one of the categories I was debating on having would have been one that talked about how well all the elements work together. Like do you feel a game is good in every category in a way where they lift each other up, or do you feel the game has a few great strong points and a few major weaknesses? I ultimately dropped it because I figure it was both too abstract and not something gamers generally look for in a game anyway. Balanced titles like that tend to be more happy accidents than anything, though for myself, it's a quality that separates the good games from the great ones. P3 for me is a game where I don't really feel it excels anywhere except how beautifully all of it's elements work together in harmony. So the category system did hurt it for me in some places.

Yeah, I kind of get what you're saying, but you were probably right to leave that category out. I think it would be very hard to evaluate and probably would only feel.relevant to a few games that stand out in this way.

Another good one for that category (although it doesn't fit for this tournament) is probably Death Stranding.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I would agree with that. A game that's better as a whole than the sum of it's parts. I actually find this is something many of the mainline FFs are better about as well.