Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What if EoFF shut down?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    We're all ignoring the first RPGmaker game Psy made too. If someone has a copy of that I would appreciate not having to dig through storage and hooking the old computer up for a copy.
    I was thinking about that one! I never actually finished it. I sort of feel like I need to make it a point to play through all of the EoFF RPGs now. I think Sick Irony is the only one I ever finished.

For posterity, I did upload my very old, very bad EoFF-based RPG Maker game for download just now:
    https://expectnomore.net/misc/Endless_Idiocy.rar
    I got it to run a few years back but can promise nothing. I made it when I was like 12. But it's absolutely Canon.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

We're all ignoring the first RPGmaker game Psy made too. If someone has a copy of that I would appreciate not having to dig through storage and hooking the old computer up for a copy.
    I've actually made three. I disavow BAoTW Forever as a cringy mess, the magnum opus of an edgy unfunny teenage boy. Even by standards of RPG Maker Game for a FF Forum cringe (which are cringy by default) it's terrible. Don't waste your time if you do still have a copy, it is bad and it should stay forgotten!

This is long so I'll spoiler tag it - if you're interested in my second gameThis was an abandoned project where you would play as a Cid's Knight. You could choose your name, join date (so if you were an oldbie or a newbie people might react differently) and even your avatar, represented by hundreds of sprites from generic Mage #4 to Cloud Strife, C3PO, Aladdin, and so on.

You'd start off by having to win the Eyes on's Next CK contest, making your way through a series of tasks before the final round which I had intended to be an open world Battle Royale/Hunger Games style event where you could recruit and betray allies, and you had to hunt for food and scavenge resources.

Once you won, there'd be a ceremony at the Ciddies, presented by Cid himself, before a bomb goes off, killing Cid. The sign above his head splits in two: CID DIES. Subtle. This was in the Four Admins era, and all four of us are utter lazy troutbags far too interested in our own stupid games. Del was a crooked boss extorting people, Shlup was a hedonist, I was just a stupid jackass who would randomly show up and change people's names and avatars for fun and so on. In the absence of any real leadership, you as a CK kind of take on the role of a cop/detective, and you have to solve the murder of Cid while doing jobs and quests for people.

The battle system was a tactical RPG like FF Tactics. I think it had job classes like snarker, troll, creative type and so on. I don't remember too much about it.

Its downfall was that it was entirely too ambitious. There were multiple ways to solve every quest and dialogue with NPCs. You'd also gain different types of reputation depending on what you did - if you always give snarky responses, you get known as a bit of a joker. While the cool kids might like you for that, a quieter member is not going to hire you to help with a sensitive quest. There were all sorts of scores tracked - if you were friendly or mean, intelligent or dumb, suave or uncharismatic, trustworthy or a charlatan, and so on.

It is now literally unplayable because RPG Maker XP is awful. And, yeah, far too ambitious. But I think a dozen people played my demo.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Found it. Look, it's me, double posting. Heck.

http://www.aiyon.com/keke/eyeonff.zip
    Thank you! Now I have that and Death of a Fansite downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I never played through Sick Irony but from that walkthrough and everything I've seen of it, it's clear that Mike/BOU/gokukid put a lot of effort and care into making it.
    Mike did do a great job, even if I'm a much better waiter/spinner than him.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It stays as forgotten as Friggin Fantasy 7, sorry buddy.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Grin Eyes on FF: Sick Irony (playable)

The version of Sick Irony DT posted requires you to install RPG Maker or RPG Maker RTP, and it's not super obvious how to get it to work. Here is the game in one zip file, fully playable on modern machines (every platform you can imagine is supported by EasyRPG), hosted on my GDrive: Eyes on FF: Sick Irony DOWNLOAD

Here is Marcus Huculak's walkthrough. I also included this in the zip file.

This game actually did take a lot of work. I spent all summer and most of Fall during my Sophomore/Junior year of high school making it, I'm pretty sure. Erik Ramza assisted with dungeon design. Many games did not have sprite rips that you could just find on google, so a lot of the sprites that look ripped from popular Squaresoft games were actually screenshotted by me from emulators, imported into Paint Shop Pro, and then cut and pasted into spritesheets compatible with RPG Maker. When it was finally done, I stayed up all night bug-squashing, and then the next morning stayed home from school to upload all FIFTY MEGABYTES of game files combined with the RPG Maker asset pack on my 56k modem. My mom was pissed when she found out why I didn't go to school, and why she couldn't use the phone all morning. The final sequence of the game where I write a love letter to the community on a black background was thrown together at the last minute because I really, REALLY didn't have an ending. But the sentiment was good and it still stands.

BoBo, this choice can't be easy for you. I'd hate to see the forum go, but I'm very glad to see that there are people who are invested in keeping this beacon shining in some form for years to come no matter what.
    goku

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Thanks, Mike! And ahaha I never knew that story about uploading Sick Irony. Kids these days will never understand the struggles we faced with dial up internet.

It stays as forgotten as Friggin Fantasy 7, sorry buddy.
    Pffft, Frig7 will never be forgotten. PIPE!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

"I'm Batman... wait, no, that's not right..."

or something to that effect. I probably still have Frig7 on my PC somewhere too. You guys know me, I keep everything as much as I can.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ogre Umaro View Post
    This game actually did take a lot of work. I spent all summer and most of Fall during my Sophomore/Junior year of high school making it, I'm pretty sure. Erik Ramza assisted with dungeon design. Many games did not have sprite rips that you could just find on google, so a lot of the sprites that look ripped from popular Squaresoft games were actually screenshotted by me from emulators, imported into Paint Shop Pro, and then cut and pasted into spritesheets compatible with RPG Maker. When it was finally done, I stayed up all night bug-squashing, and then the next morning stayed home from school to upload all FIFTY MEGABYTES of game files combined with the RPG Maker asset pack on my 56k modem. My mom was pissed when she found out why I didn't go to school, and why she couldn't use the phone all morning. The final sequence of the game where I write a love letter to the community on a black background was thrown together at the last minute because I really, REALLY didn't have an ending. But the sentiment was good and it still stands.
    This is amazing. Thank you for providing the commentary, what a nostalgia rush.

did anyone lets play death of a fansite?

i tried it for the first time and couldnt beat sephex and his jerk hole and idk if can justify skipping more work today to try beat that smurfer

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Someone obviously needs to livestream Death of a fansite on twitch. I will be there all night eating one cheese doodle at a time.

EoFF, I don't really feel I have a say in anything happening these days, it's been so long since I did much else than lurking. I had a blast here during my high school and even college years, but I guess it's just a whole different time and life now. I don't have the same patience for text as I used to have, there's that as well. I'm still grateful for some amazing friendships I've had, but not been able to keep up with. I still consider them friends regardless of how much time has passed to be honest.

Anyway, not much help from me as per usual I'm afraid, do what feels right!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I streamed it on Twitch. It was ages ago so the VODs are gone now, but yeah.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I started playing Death of a Fansite last night and it's wonderful. Only made it up to Sephex because I didn't have a huge amount of time.

Question for Psy: Did you make that with RPG Maker MV? Any chance you could make an Android APK if so?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    I started playing Death of a Fansite last night and it's wonderful. Only made it up to Sephex because I didn't have a huge amount of time.

Question for Psy: Did you make that with RPG Maker MV? Any chance you could make an Android APK if so?
    Yes I did. I can have a look at that, though I remember some stupid deployment issues the first time around.

--

Also, as this thread is diverging slightly and while everyone is still here, I just want to say it's been good to see you all again. It's brought back a lot of memories and though I'm terrible at expressing emotion here goes nothing.

Thanks for bringing fun, laughs, enlightenment and good times, and thank you for both tolerating my stupid dumb sense of humour and supporting my creative endeavours. I truly hope you've all found joy and purpose in wherever your lives have taken you. I can't think of anything more profound than these clichés so I'm sorry if this all seems a little superficial and generic, but please know I mean it and wish the best for you, regardless of if we've had a handful or hundreds of interactions over the years.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post

Yes I did. I can have a look at that, though I remember some stupid deployment issues the first time around.

--

Also, as this thread is diverging slightly and while everyone is still here, I just want to say it's been good to see you all again. It's brought back a lot of memories and though I'm terrible at expressing emotion here goes nothing.

Thanks for bringing fun, laughs, enlightenment and good times, and thank you for both tolerating my stupid dumb sense of humour and supporting my creative endeavours. I truly hope you've all found joy and purpose in wherever your lives have taken you. I can't think of anything more profound than these clichés so I'm sorry if this all seems a little superficial and generic, but please know I mean it and wish the best for you, regardless of if we've had a handful or hundreds of interactions over the years.

I don't recognize anyone here anymore, so it really doesn't matter to me.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.