Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: What if EoFF shut down?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Definitely voting for everybody saving 1 thread each so, one day in the far distant future, a bunch of traumatised descendants can piece together part​ of this clustersmurf and make some new friends discussing whatever the hell you call this
    In all seriousness, I spent some time this weekend on automatically crawling the entire forums and archiving its (public-facing) content for posterity. I could probably set it up to log in so it can at least get Lifestream and whatnot...

Anyways, my internet died this morning, so the crawler was shut down. I can't get a technician out until Wednesday. MAYBE IT'S A SIGN.

Google doesn't forget.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I would at least like to become an Admin and Cid's Knight before the shutdown so I can complete a full house of EoFF staff titles.
    Haha yes, I need to become an Admin to do the same. Just to complete the full set of titles, of course. Not to ban Shlup or anything.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think I was briefly site staff as the first news writer so that just leaves admin for me! Wait

I think we have Tech Admin as well

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Definitely voting for everybody saving 1 thread each so, one day in the far distant future, a bunch of traumatised descendants can piece together part​ of this clustersmurf and make some new friends discussing whatever the hell you call this
    In all seriousness, I spent some time this weekend on automatically crawling the entire forums and archiving its (public-facing) content for posterity. I could probably set it up to log in so it can at least get Lifestream and whatnot...

Anyways, my internet died this morning, so the crawler was shut down. I can't get a technician out until Wednesday. MAYBE IT'S A SIGN.
    I would be interested in doing this. Does it archive in HTML format, or just text? Are images archived and properly linked?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We’re gonna have a huge EOFF shut-down party, right? Things to be included...

- Official countdown to the switch off.
    - Swear filter completely lifted for one night.
    - A karaoke thunderdome containing songs about leaving/saying goodbye
    - Every single person on the ban list reinstated.
    - All members to post at least one embarrassing moment concerning Steve.
    - All previous nudes to be released in a new picture thread.
    - Midgar Mist’s complete poetry collection re-posted.
    - Official confirmation that soup is a food.
    - A 24-hour filter for Fynn so that whenever he mentions the word Witcher it auto-corrects to Willy.

I’ll also post my final Mass Effect Adventures update one minute before switch off so no-one will get to read it.

Please all feel free to add further conditions to apply which will further enhance our night of wonder.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    A lot of EoFF frens I chat to on discord everyday (we'd still keep that, right?)
    Yes, the Discord isn't going anywhere.

Would probably look to revamp a little bit to make it even more of an awesome place since it'd no longer be the Official Discord Server for the EoFF Forum (which allows for a bit more of a simple set up), it would be EoFF ostensibly.

Yeah.
    Is the IRC channel still out there, too?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It might be! I haven't tried to log into it since Discord became the thing.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

I would be interested in doing this. Does it archive in HTML format, or just text? Are images archived and properly linked?
    HTML, with images, and supposedly with links updated to point to local references:
    https://www.linuxjournal.com/content...-web-site-wget
    Still waiting for the cable company to fix my connection; the cable coming into the building literally fried itself. Once it's back up I'll resume the archiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

HTML, with images, and supposedly with links updated to point to local references:
    https://www.linuxjournal.com/content...-web-site-wget
    Still waiting for the cable company to fix my connection; the cable coming into the building literally fried itself. Once it's back up I'll resume the archiving.
    Googling how to do this logged in, and will have to do a couple of test runs and then I will likely join you in the endeavor, but it seems straight forward enough. Thank you, immensely for directing me to this. After surviving 3 house fires and slowly losing everything from my past, nostalgia is a very important thing to me. I can preserve my online home

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My 2 cents:

Count me among the members who would hate to see this place go. And I say that as someone who has "left" more than once.

It may not be as bustling as it once was but there's no place I'd rather go to talk about new FF releases, as I have been doing for the past 15 years.

I'd hate for a Final Fantasy XVI or an FFVII Remake sequel to come out and then have no place to talk about it but a flying wall of discord messages.

One of the great things about this forum, largely, is that due to the small but dedicated userbase, the site has matured with the members. There's no way I'm going to go to like a GameFAQs and revert to a populous of teenage one upmanship.

I would ask the people who turned your ownership offer down if they'd reconsider under the condition that it be fully funded on like a Patreon. At that point, it's at no cost to them aside from keeping the lights on.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Also, yall can sub to my patreon while you're at it.

I'll draw you sexy wholesome tifas?

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Also, yall can sub to my patreon while you're at it.

I'll draw you sexy wholesome tifas?
    No sexy FFXII Chewbacca ?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    - All members to post at least one embarrassing moment concerning Steve.
    I don't think there's enough embarassing moments concerning me. You all think I'm embarassed? No, it is you who is embarassed.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, what did i miss?