Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So um... Demon's Souls Remake for PS5.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default So um... Demon's Souls Remake for PS5.

I'm not terribly surprised here, I had a feeling we would be seeing a remake of this game sometime after the servers closed. It looks good, I'm curious to know if they will be making any QoL changes or adding content to the game. Would be a shame if it's just a full face lift, but seeing how it sounds like only Bluepoint is involved and not From Software, I imagine it may be too much to ask.

Hope it gets PC'd.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I never played any of them, but this looks great and I can't wait to give it a shot

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I look forward to seeing a lot more people playing it so that I have more content to consume because smurf am I not interested in getting good enough to experience Souls games. Bloodborne almost tempted me in but I refuse to be punished.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I look forward to seeing a lot more people playing it so that I have more content to consume because smurf am I not interested in getting good enough to experience Souls games. Bloodborne almost tempted me in but I refuse to be punished.
    So the thing about Souls games is that they have the appearance of being punishing, but actually aren't. All the mechanics are set up to favor you and operate under the assumption that you'll die periodically, and are carefully manipulated to make it feel like you're struggling when actually you're just making perfectly normal progress through the game. Death is barely a setback at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    So the thing about Souls games is that they have the appearance of being punishing, but actually aren't. All the mechanics are set up to favor you and operate under the assumption that you'll die periodically, and are carefully manipulated to make it feel like you're struggling when actually you're just making perfectly normal progress through the game. Death is barely a setback at all.
    This.jpeg

I'm so excited! Tears filled my eyes the first time I saw the announcement! I'm a die hard souls fan that's for sure!

Bloodborne is a lot more forgiving. There's still a decent learning curve, especially for a Souls virgin. But there's almost no "gotcha!" moments like in Souls 1 and 2. Dark Souls 3 is pretty good as well. There are a couple of nonsense areas but they're not nearly as unforgivable as the ones in the first game

Outside of that, they are mostly just memorization and reaction. A lot of "skill" in a Dark Souls game is based on previous knowledge of a situation

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Bloodborne is a lot more forgiving. There's still a decent learning curve, especially for a Souls virgin. But there's almost no "gotcha!" moments like in Souls 1 and 2. Dark Souls 3 is pretty good as well. There are a couple of nonsense areas but they're not nearly as unforgivable as the ones in the first game

Outside of that, they are mostly just memorization and reaction. A lot of "skill" in a Dark Souls game is based on previous knowledge of a situation
    How you liking bloodborne? Also , maybe try some Sekiro, it's pretty awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    How you liking bloodborne? Also , maybe try some Sekiro, it's pretty awesome)
    Bloodborne is one of my favorite games, and probably top five in the generation, especially on PS4. But there's some compelling distinctions compared to the other Souls games that puts it there. One of the least important parts, but probably one of the most rewarding parts is the community. Souls fans as a whole are alright, but mostly the supportive people are not the ones you come across in game. More likely you'll get hit by a twinker just looking to ruin someone's day. That's a rarity in Bloodborne from my experience. Almost everyone I've dealt with in PVP has bowed before a fight, frequently they refuse to spam attacks and back off if someone gets caught in a corner. Granted, I think a lot of it is the atmosphere of the game lends itself to some gentlemanly role play, but it's a complete breath of fresh air compared to the garbage in Dark Souls where people will snipe you from across the map with a greatbow, or spam force push to knock you off a ledge for a cheap win

On top of that I think there's a lot less lag in the PVP fights, like the netcode is better, which may be because it's an exclusive and not multiplatform

But really, my favorite thing about Bloodborne was that once I got past the learning curve and felt confident with my weapons and playstyle, I felt like a lot of the game was skill based. Like you could be introduced to a new area, new enemies, etc. And I didn't feel like I was about to get cheap shot. I felt like I had the tools and abilities already to face most situations without feeling cheated. But you compare that to things in Dark Souls like the bridge with the Wyvern that roasts pretty much any new player to death. Or the skeletons in the Tomb of Giants who either hide around a corner and boot you off before you even see them, or the dog versions that plow through most shields and poise and wreck people in one combo before they know what's going on. There's so many enemies and situations like that in the first two Souls games it's ridiculous. I can think of maybe two potentially BS things in Bloodborne that might compare, where the Souls games seem to have something in every zone

As for Sekiro, I tried it, and wanted to like it. It seemed like it would be another fast paced skill based game like Bloodborne rather than a Souls game. But there's a lot of enemies that will change the angles of their attacks at the last second to completely void any dodge. And the fact that they want you to parry spam and make it more like a rhythm game than a skill game, it just wore me down and I eventually quit. Nioh 2 is closer to what I want out of Souls games. Or The Surge 2. I really liked those games

I'll probably pick up Demon's Soul, just as a novelty. But I already own it on PS3 and have trouble finding interest in it. And I know Blue Point aren't keen on making drastic quality-of-life changes, so it'll probably be another sloggy grind fest trying to learn and memorize all the enemies and dying over and over until you find the way the developers wanted you to play. I'm a very jaded Souls fan, and I think they're all far from the perfection that most fans claim them to be

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have to admit, I am really impressed with what they did with the trailer showing off the tutorial section. Though it does look like they made it easier either for the trailer. No way you could take out a Blue Knight that effortlessly, and the boss of the Tutorial generally would one shot you.

Yeah, Square Enix called it Final Fantasy 16.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't you be comparing pretty boy XVI to my Demon's Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    There was a pretty boy ? I just saw angy cat meme man.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    There was a pretty boy ? I just saw angy cat meme man.

He was pretty before he got angy cat. the Plot is how he became an angy cat. Demon's Souls is pretty much this:
    three-hoursinto-dark-souls-kids-you-tried-your-best-and-13967254.png