Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth it?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yea it is
    i got it used and i'm already clocking a dollar per each hour of entertainment

I didn't really care for the whole of XIII, but I wasn't interested in checking out the possibly more refined sequels after the bad taste of the first. And I've only played demos of XV and I've kinda been interested but not really. I mean the concepts behind the plot didn't really grab me. I just want to try it because I haven't, and because it's a Final Fantasy game that I haven't played. But what I have experienced has been pretty meh. Nothing to judge the entire game on, but still. I have an impression. Neither of those opinions relate to how I feel about the remake though

I still think if the Remake were a totally separate game with different characters and altered plot, I'd probably still love it. With the way the story evolves, and the slightly linear narrative, and crazy fun action combat, I would compare it to a beefed up Neir: Automata, just without the open world to explore, and instead that open'ness is kind of put into towns and hub areas. The towns sometimes feel completely legit, somewhat bustling, lots of life and activity. Very believable from a JRPG standpoint. Almost reminds me of like Yakuza or something. Lots of stuff going on sometimes. It's probably different for each person, but I feel like they focused on the pacing and openness where it counts, rather than just going whole hog

And the refinement of the characters, while still somewhat trope'y are still some of the best from a JRPG perspective outside of something like a good Tales game, or a toned down Persona game or something. Not stellar or fantastic, but still unreasonably good

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII Remake is probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had from a video game. It has a lot to recommend it: a stunning recreation of Midgar, excellent new portrayals of major characters, and a lot more lore and story.

What threw it were things that felt like minor annoyances at first: Incredibly long, drawn-out boss fights that started out feeling epic but ended up becoming tedious, frustrating and dowright boring by the end. A bloated, padded story that's laden with fetch-quests and distracting busywork. Minor characters from across the FFVII expanded universe who who get thrust into the spotlight in a way that suggests we're meant to know, and care, about them deeply.

But most damning for me were the major story changes. It's not until near the end that the remake's story starts to come apart, so for the longest time it feels like they were actually being honest when they promised a faithful reimagining of the original. It was a profound disappoinment to discover that there might've never been any intention of actually remaking FFVII beyond the outline of the Midgar plot.

Whatever comes next might be a re-telling of the original story, or it might be outright fanfiction made up on the spot by the new writers. But no matter what option they choose, it's guaranteed to have a whole lot of nonsense piled on top of it.

You might love it. You might hate it. You might find a bit of both. The biggest thing I found was that I was wrong to get my hopes up and buy into the hype.
    Last edited by Big D; 07-06-2020 at 05:08 AM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i hope you're wrong about the nonsense

(SPOILER)
    i disagree about story direction becoming fanficcy. someone said this is more of a sequel than a remake, which would make perfect sense; parallel universe and timelines stuff going on.

i think the boss fights being drawn out is a playing preference, but they actually become a lot quicker once you figure out weaknesses and stagger tactics for the specific bosses. i'm running through them a lot faster the second time around on hard, and that's including dying more often

i actually like the idea that they won't just re-created the same old scenes with updated graphics and voice acting. i'm interested in seeing a new version of the story through a different lens. if i wanted to play ff7 again, i would do it (and i am doing it haha, slowly).

i guess these are personal preferences though, and it makes sense to be disappointed if you were expecting just the same story. but to me it's more of a meta narrative (so far) that has a lot to do with the fanbase as well.

i do agree that the side-quests sometimes got boring and weren't interesting. they were going to try and incorporate some sort of yakuza style gameplay but forgot their set-pieces weren't made for it. and the forced walking segments were UGH. i get you're probably loading the level during but it's boring when you're trying to just run.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    But most damning for me were the major story changes. It's not until near the end that the remake's story starts to come apart, so for the longest time it feels like they were actually being honest when they promised a faithful reimagining of the original. It was a profound disappoinment to discover that there might've never been any intention of actually remaking FFVII beyond the outline of the Midgar plot.

Whatever comes next might be a re-telling of the original story, or it might be outright fanfiction made up on the spot by the new writers. But no matter what option they choose, it's guaranteed to have a whole lot of nonsense piled on top of it.

You might love it. You might hate it. You might find a bit of both. The biggest thing I found was that I was wrong to get my hopes up and buy into the hype.
    This was my major fear upon completing Remake. That we just wouldn't end up getting the rest of the original story, and therefore it essentially means we'll never get a proper remake of the original.

Some of the comments of the director/producers have put my mind to rest though. Mostly. Kitase said the story will continue as we know it:
    https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/28/fin...-part-2-story/

In some of the much older comments, they did say they couldn't change too much about the main story because they knew the fans wouldn't like it. And then in the recent Guardian interview, they did reiterate that they really wanted to keep people guessing between installments.

I think all of that points to the fact that the rest of the story will largely remain the same as the original.

Its fun and feels like the game has a message worth paying attention too. The last portion of the game are quite intense and I must say it brought some emotion out of me from sorrow to exhilaration.

I will say there is not much replay value, especially when there are sp many A+ titles being released. But if you have the spare change and time its a fun journey with the homies again