Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In which game does "steal" feel most rewarding to you?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default In which game does "steal" feel most rewarding to you?

Basically, which game do you have the most fun playing as a thief?

For me it's Final Fantasy IX. You can steal an upgraded dagger before the opening credits are done rolling and I think that sets the stage pretty well. So many boss fights afterwards have unique items or at least items that are an upgrade compared to your current inventory, and it feels great to equip a stolen item and start learning its skill earlier than you would have had you got it from a shop.

It's definitely FFIX. It really shows that the main character is a thief because so much more revolves around it. The enemies generally have multiple steals (which is the only FF game I'm aware of that has this, except I guess FFT where you can specifically steal different equips) and bosses often have good equipment steals. Success rate is still frustrating, but you'll at least probably get something pretty quickly, while in other games you can fail slot just to get the one steal.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

X because of the crafting. It's a good way to get some mats. Also Rikku can take about some robots with it.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

FFIX's Steal felt the least rewarding for me, since you'll spend most of the boss fights just turtling until the lousy RNG decides to give you the items, which often have terrible drop rates. FFX's Steal was pretty useful, not to mention it has tactical uses for breaking Machina and stopping enemies from using Auto-Potions. FFXII is the one where I used Steal the most, and it really makes a difference in the amount of sellable Loot you obtain.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I would say FFX. It succeeds quite often, and I love how Rikku can destroy the machines using it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFX yeah

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I wanted to say FFVII because of Siren, but yeah - it's X. Defeating Machina is where I used it the most.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably any FF post IV. Though for me, FFTactics and FFTA would be my top choices since stealing gear from enemies is the ultimate debuff you can pull. There is a good reason FFTA2 completely nerfed the thief class.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Sefie1999AD View Post
    FFIX's Steal felt the least rewarding for me, since you'll spend most of the boss fights just turtling until the lousy RNG decides to give you the items, which often have terrible drop rates. FFX's Steal was pretty useful, not to mention it has tactical uses for breaking Machina and stopping enemies from using Auto-Potions. FFXII is the one where I used Steal the most, and it really makes a difference in the amount of sellable Loot you obtain.
    These are some really good points that immediately made me change my mind on what I was gonna say. Even if the rewards are super satisfying and regular in IX, the fact that you spend every boss fight stealing and trying to both live + not kill the boss really takes the momentum out of it.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Gotta go with Tactics. I made extensive use of Steal: Heart in one playthrough.

The criticism of FFIX's stealing are valid, but don't make me change my mind because stealing is barely satisfying at all in most of the other games. The success rate is still typically low, it just doesn't matter as much if you succeed and bosses often carry nothing.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree with those who said Tactics; stealing was pretty useful there and could reward you with powerful gear. From the main series, I'd say XII.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Is it too late to change my vote to Tactics?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Steal was most rewarding for me in FF Tactics. You actually stole their real equipment and it made a difference in their ability to battle. I still remember the challenge I put before myself each time to steal all of the Genji equipment from Elmdor.

I agree with Sefie on FFIX. The RNG was so bad it made me hate the boss music from the game since I spent so much time stealing from bosses.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

OMG, I WOULD NEVER STEAL. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT INGAME!??