Thread: Just got this on Steam!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still in side quest heíll but I just wanted to drop in and say that the soundtrack slaps and I wonít let anyone tell me otherwise. We do not deserve Shimomura

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Iíve made it to Altissia. After clearing Costlemark Tower I jumped another ten levels and now Iím level 65 lol. I canít wait to see the story move forward though so Iím excited!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well Iíve beaten chapter 9 and was left completely broken. Then I played Episode Ignis and was broken further. Now Iím on the Pain Train and nothing is the same

Episode Ignis was thankfully excellent. Mitsudaís music definitely helped elevate it but it also just made the efents in Altissia all the more meaningful and epic, not to mention just showing us how deeply Ignis really loves Noct. I did have to hold back tears near the end. Ignis is also very fun to play as. One gripe I have with the DLC is that I canít say when the best moment to play it is. On the one hand, it really enhances the game when you play it right after itís canonically happened and gives Ravus some much needed character development. On the other hand, it shows you some incredibly spoilery things from the ending. If youíre like me and have already been spoiled on the stuff from the ending, thatís not a problem, but I know my wife wants to play this later too and sheís super spoiled-sensitive. So I could just tell her to leave this episode for after the main game, but then sheíd also be missing some of the scenes that were - letís be blunt - cut from the original game. There is no optimal experience because of that now, sadly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So Iíve reached the legendary chapter 13 now. Weíll see if it manages to break me. But I have to say, I have not been bothered by the linearity at all so far. Itís almost as if when I care about the characters and you build up an incredible atmosphere through how the game progresses, whether or not itís linear doesnít matter at all. I also had Episode Prompto to play with along the way, so that couldíve helped with the variety (itís also my favorite of the episodes I think, though Ignisí was also amazing), but yeah, so far Iím still immensely hooked. Iím leaving on vacation on Saturday so I may not be able to finish this now and will have to wait two weeks to finish, but thatís fine. So far it looks like ring magic is immensely broken.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qestir (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I heard the ring magic was buffed but I remember it was pretty broken to start with. Does it just insta kill everything without a cast time now?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything basically dies on the count of three. And while death happens theyíre just writhing in place. And then thereís this other spell that activates when I press Y that just nukes everything in sight

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chapter 13 didnít really bother me before, but I think maybe it did feel like it dragged on for some people maybe? The changes they made did speed it up a bit. I kind of liked the change to the gameplay in that moment and kind of wished you had the option to play without the buffs to the ring to see what you think of the original gameplay.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I really didn't like the end part of the game. The linearity was definitely jarring after the rest of the game, but I also just wasn't a huge fan of the story at that point. Now I didn't have the character DLC chapters that you did, but I'm not convinced that would make a huge difference to me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Honestly the Royal/Windows Edition is a very different and much better game than what the original experience was.

They fleshed out the story more, and inserted more clips from Kingsglaive in appropriate locations. You have the option of doing the DLCs where they take place in the story (rather than just having confusing gaps where the holes had been left for the DLC). Some of the combat gimmicks from the DLCs were worked into the base game, along with the ability to swap characters rather than just playing as Noctis with the occasional link strike.

Chapter 13 now is a lot better in terms of flow etc. than it was the original with the buffs to the ring and the change in pacing.

(SPOILER)And Insomnia was significantly adjusted too.

Comparing the Windows/Royal Edition to the original release is like comparing apples and oranges really.

I think if the game had released with the story enhancements of the Windows/Royal Edition (even sans-DLC), and the latter chapter adjustments and combat system overhauls, it would've got a much more positive reception in the eyes of long-term fans rather than the "half-baked" feeling it left many with.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 07-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.