Thread: FFXV is a strange game

Default FFXV is a strange game

FFXV : I'm a mostly serious game about young men growing up and friends becoming brothers throughout war.

FFXV: MAKE SURE TO BUY THESE NOODLES THOUGH, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THESE YUMMY SODIUM TUBS.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, it’s one side quest. And it’s very obviously done sarcastically. I’d say it was pretty cute. Product placement aside, FF has always had some weird, quirky little things happening among all the serious drama. Like who can forget Guy speaking Beaver or any scene Ultros is in really

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Obviously you don't play enough MGS to have the juxtaposition of hardcore war is hell story telling being in the same game where weird funny trout happens all the time:

metal-gear-solid-2-sons-of-liberty-was-the-game-that-stopped-me-being-a-fanboy-220-body-image-14.jpg

__naked_snake_metal_gear_series_metal_gear_solid_3_and_saru_getchu_drawn_by_50yen__a8deb2fc675ab.jpg

axmpa8.jpg

FB_IMG_1472284392965.jpg

It desensitizes you from other games doing it rather easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Obviously you don't play enough MGS to have the juxtaposition of hardcore war is hell story telling being in the same game where weird funny trout happens all the time:
    I mean, I think there's a big difference between silly moments in games and "do you feel brainwashed enough to buy this food product yet, gamer ?".

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I mean, it’s one side quest. And it’s very obviously done sarcastically. I’d say it was pretty cute. Product placement aside, FF has always had some weird, quirky little things happening among all the serious drama. Like who can forget Guy speaking Beaver or any scene Ultros is in really
    Guy wasn't trying to sell us Beaver flavoured noodles though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I mean, I think there's a big difference between silly moments in games and "do you feel brainwashed enough to buy this food product yet, gamer ?".
    Actually MGS has a lot of product placement which they utilize with fourth wall breaking jokes like how much MGS4 plays heavy lip-service to the PS3, Calorie Mates and Instant noodles in MGS3, and Sony Walkman in the MGS:PW. It's actually pretty normal in the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And honestly, the cup noodle sponsorship thing in XV has always felt way too tongue in cheek to take seriously. I feel more brainwashed into trying Kenny Crow, tbh, and that’s not even a real thing!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It should be a real thing...

I think I'm one of the only people who didn't notice any of the product placement in XV on first playthrough, Lol. I think there are at least 3 main examples? Cup Noodles, Vivienne Westwood, and then some camping equipment company?

The only one of those I noticed in my first playthrough was cup noodles, but that brand doesn't exist in the UK (or is not mainstream enough to be in the average supermarket) so I had no idea that was a real-world brand. I just assumed it was in-game brand they'd made up. Then Vivienne Westwood I skipped because I didn't bother with the wedding dress mission on my first playthrough. Then the camping company I hadn't heard of either!

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The coffee brand Ignis loves is also a product placement.

Lol well I think this advertising approach failed then. At least with me. There must've been quite a few other people who just didn't notice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, it's not as bad as Metal Gear, I'm replaying MGS4, and forgot how many there were in the game. Several of your healing items are even product placements though that started with MGS3.