Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Way Home

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    I'm glad the RP forums had such an impact/legacy! I can't really use the format myself anymore, it's too slow and I'm playing and designing specifically for live tabletop these days so for online play I pretty much use Discord and Roll20 exclusively.
    A couple of months ago I ran a Roll20 EoFF D&D game. There was a ghost who was crying over an empty crib about a missing baby. Anyway, they had the great idea of putting the tiny Gnome Wizard (Shauna) in the crib to pretend she is the baby.

And then, for reasons best known only to herself, the Dwarf Barbarian (Jinx) decided she wanted to slap the baby to see what the ghost would do. So I made her roll for it. And she got a crit.

It was the best/worst thing I have ever seen in a D&D game.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey man, good to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Welcome back! Reddit is my go to place to troutpost on the interwebs now as well!
    Whenever I try to engage with something I enjoy on Reddit it tends to raise my blood pressure and make me start to dislike the thing, I've generally sworn it off which definitely in part precipitated my looking around the old forum when the opportunity arose.
    Yeah... I've had this weird sense of coming full-circle. The broader internet used to be so appealing compared to EoFF, but now that it's such a mess everywhere there's definitely an appeal to having a small, close community. Even if that means being behind on the dank memes of the Twittersphere or whatever.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'm glad the RP forums had such an impact/legacy! I can't really use the format myself anymore, it's too slow and I'm playing and designing specifically for live tabletop these days so for online play I pretty much use Discord and Roll20 exclusively.
    A couple of months ago I ran a Roll20 EoFF D&D game. There was a ghost who was crying over an empty crib about a missing baby. Anyway, they had the great idea of putting the tiny Gnome Wizard (Shauna) in the crib to pretend she is the baby.

And then, for reasons best known only to herself, the Dwarf Barbarian (Jinx) decided she wanted to slap the baby to see what the ghost would do. So I made her roll for it. And she got a crit.

You have exceeded my expectations I'm so proud of all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Hey man, good to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Welcome back! Reddit is my go to place to troutpost on the interwebs now as well!
    Whenever I try to engage with something I enjoy on Reddit it tends to raise my blood pressure and make me start to dislike the thing, I've generally sworn it off which definitely in part precipitated my looking around the old forum when the opportunity arose.
    Yeah... I've had this weird sense of coming full-circle. The broader internet used to be so appealing compared to EoFF, but now that it's such a mess everywhere there's definitely an appeal to having a small, close community. Even if that means being behind on the dank memes of the Twittersphere or whatever.
    Yeah I remember back in the day there was this huge drive for every site to have more members and more content which signified its worthiness or whatever but nowadays I'm old I just wanna hang out with cool people who I choose to hang out with.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Please tell me you’ll host more of these. I need to get in on this!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Please tell me you’ll host more of these. I need to get in on this!
    Same here.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The worst part about all of this is that this slap actually almost killed poor little Schmaltzy

You hail from a time when my heart medication was messing with my memory. But I do recognize the name. Welcome back. I was a shy lurker back in the day. Still a shy lurker I suppose. I probably would have enjoyed the RP forum, as a writing hobbyist I've dabbled here and there on this site, but nothing interactive. Mostly just random showcases and contests. But it's always fun to flex the mind and creative juices a bit

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I remember you, you were one of the Cid's Knights when I joined. I stalked your profile pretty recently on my nostalgia trip.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I remember you, you were one of the Cid's Knights when I joined. I stalked your profile pretty recently on my nostalgia trip.
    I honestly had a lot of fun being a CK back in the day, I think I won a Ciddie for Best Cid's Knight at one point which was really touching. I have a lot of fond memories of the time, I still have occasional contact with one of the old Cid's Knights from way back in the day who I really looked up to via Facebook. The team was full of great people, I'm sure it's still the same case today.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I honestly had a lot of fun being a CK back in the day, I think I won a Ciddie for Best Cid's Knight at one point which was really touching. I have a lot of fond memories of the time, I still have occasional contact with one of the old Cid's Knights from way back in the day who I really looked up to via Facebook. The team was full of great people, I'm sure it's still the same case today.
    I don't know that I've not like any of the Cid's Knights that have been active since 2006. I don't know of any who quit before then off the top of my head. They're all good people

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So good to see you on here again Austin. I think you were one of the first people who gave me actual exposure to the idea of pen-and-paper RPGs in the traditional sense. I've since given them a go, but concluded that they're not really my cup of tea, but I still appreciate the artform and attend a lot of live D&D shows.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So good to see you on here again Austin. I think you were one of the first people who gave me actual exposure to the idea of pen-and-paper RPGs in the traditional sense. I've since given them a go, but concluded that they're not really my cup of tea, but I still appreciate the artform and attend a lot of live D&D shows.
    Hey man, great to see you again! Glad you had a chance to give it a try, it's certainly not for everyone but good to find that out for yourself. Honestly I think you'd probably have more success with the LARP (Live-Action Roleplay) space since if memory serves you did some historical swordfighting.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey man, great to see you again! Glad you had a chance to give it a try, it's certainly not for everyone but good to find that out for yourself. Honestly I think you'd probably have more success with the LARP (Live-Action Roleplay) space since if memory serves you did some historical swordfighting.
    Nicely remembered! I still dabble in historical re-enactment generally, but I'm mainly a dancer these days, and haven't trained in any martial arts for years - unless you count archery, I guess.

I don't think LARPs would suit me, though, since my biggest issue with D&D (and New World of Darkness) was the dense, restrictive rules and mechanics.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Nicely remembered! I still dabble in historical re-enactment generally, but I'm mainly a dancer these days, and haven't trained in any martial arts for years - unless you count archery, I guess.

I don't think LARPs would suit me, though, since my biggest issue with D&D (and New World of Darkness) was the dense, restrictive rules and mechanics.
    D&D and WoD are definitely both scions of the old school of design with dense, complex rules that can be inaccessible and unapproachable. I could see you potentially liking Amtgard in the LARP sphere, and for more free-form roleplaying experiences that provide basic structure but center the interaction I'm more inclined to recommend Fate Core or Powered By the Apocalypse. I've never personally been super into World of Darkness although my wife started there and has a decent amount of affection for it, I find it a bit... much in terms of how hard it goes on its aesthetic and its ruleset has always been a mess. D&D is usually the most complex game on the market that people actually play (GURPS is way more complicated but nobody actually gets around to playing it because you need 50 books to do anything), I don't honestly feel like it's a fantastic beginner game and it's definitely not a great roleplay-centric system but because it owns like 90% of the market that's just what most people play, alas. I tried to balance my own game in the rough midpoint between Fate and D&D since I like the tactical combat but dislike the rigid system and lack of creative options.

It's unfortunately a shame since WoD and D&D are the big two that a lot of folks get that and only that for their TTRPG experience, but even then it definitely takes a certain approach and mindset to really play and enjoy, any number of factors can get in the way such as system or bad GM or what have you so I totally get not being enamored with it. We're a strange breed, TTRPGers.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

The worst part about all of this is that this slap actually almost killed poor little Schmaltzy
    The best part of all this was it was my first ever (and so far only) D&D experience. And it was THE single most random fun time I'd had in ages.