Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Private Servers

Has anyone played on any of the private FFXI servers? There are several of them out there, some with decent sized populations.

I played on a server called ffera for a while and it was a lot of fun. They put in some mods like faster running speed and 4x experience to lessen the grind. They also made acquiring relic weapons a lot easier which let people achieve what only a few could in the main game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A private server with 4x experience and easier methods to gain gear sounds heavenly. I liked what I played of XI, but just couldn't justify the time sink it required to appease my completionist brain. I could probably handle it better these days since I'm better about controlling my OCD.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

The grind is what turned me off of the online games. It's hard to party when most people are only looking for end game stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember having a blast playing the trial version with my wife. How are subscription costs handled on private servers? Might be cool to dive back into that, especially so we can experience the full story

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Private servers are usually free. Some may ask for a donation to keep it running but at least at the one I played on, it was optional (I chipped in anyway since it was worth it). SE gives away the full download of FFXI for free these days except for maybe the latest expansion. There are a few setup things you have to do to connect to the private server which can be tricky but they are all one-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    A private server with 4x experience and easier methods to gain gear sounds heavenly. I liked what I played of XI, but just couldn't justify the time sink it required to appease my completionist brain. I could probably handle it better these days since I'm better about controlling my OCD.
    We should play on era! My character is still there. 75 RDM with Exclaibur.

Did 11 let you use a controller, or was that just 14? I would be interested in dabbling in this since I kinda turned my nose up at MMOs of the age. But I hear great things about 14. Just can't justify a subscription. But experiencing where it came from, if it's at all similar, would be interesting. But even on a computer, i prefer controllers. My wrists hurt for some reason gaming with keyboard and mouse, in a way that normal browsing and writing doesn't do, which is weird, but I can't deny it. Maybe it's the more relaxed nature of normal computer use, versus the extended and constant use of gaming

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Throw my name down as "interested in this experience" because I would like to see FFXI in its entirety

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Did 11 let you use a controller, or was that just 14? I would be interested in dabbling in this since I kinda turned my nose up at MMOs of the age. But I hear great things about 14. Just can't justify a subscription. But experiencing where it came from, if it's at all similar, would be interesting. But even on a computer, i prefer controllers. My wrists hurt for some reason gaming with keyboard and mouse, in a way that normal browsing and writing doesn't do, which is weird, but I can't deny it. Maybe it's the more relaxed nature of normal computer use, versus the extended and constant use of gaming
    You could probably get it to work with a controller but that is not something I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    So, Wolf, Del, Cim - it’s a date?
    I'll dig up the details for you guys!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I distinctly remember playing the trial version in a controller. Not sure it supports xinput though

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

wait, are we starting an eoff server because
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Yeah and is this going to be PC or what? I have the disks around here somewhere for almost all of XI.

I'm also still paying fo XIV and I haven't logged in for like - 8 months. This will motivate me to cancel.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    wait, are we starting an eoff server because
    Starting a server is a whole other thing, but we could certainly have an EoFF linkshell on another private server. The private servers are generally not very crowded. Some are a little more popular but they lack those perks like running speed and 4x exp.

To connect to a private FFXI server, you need to configure the FFXI client on your PC to point to the private server instead of SE's servers. The setup is the same regardless of what server you go to. Here's the page with the instructions:

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Con...ng_Your_Client

After you set that up, you just need to point to the IP address of the server you want to connect to (ffera.com for the one I go to).

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I remember when I played FFXI I used a controller but setting it up was not easy.