View Poll Results: Remake or Re-Imagine?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remake (strictly faithful to the original)

2 28.57%
  • Re-Imagine (Diverges from the original noticeably and significantly)

5 71.43%

Thread: Re-imagine versus Remake: FFVIIR versus Trials of Mana (with some spoilers)

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Re-imagine versus Remake: FFVIIR versus Trials of Mana (with some spoilers)

With the release of Trials of Mana and Final Fantasy VII: Remake we got a really interesting look at two highly divergent philosophies on updating a new game to the modern era. While one of these was obviously much higher budget in presentation, I think there's a clear dichotomy of philosophy that transcends which of the two Square Enix felt would be the proper cash-cow.

For Trials of Mana, we received a fairly faithful one-for-one recreation, just with some extra bonus content and an updated combat system. The plot generally remains the same, with characterization and dialogue more or less the same as the original. The new combat system is modernized, but still very much builds on the bones of the old system, expanding on that base for a more satisfying experieince.

With FFVIIR, we see a full re-imaging not only in terms of combat which is entirely revamped and wildly different from the original, but also a completely fresh take on the story with a clear divergence that will likely become more pronounced as it continues.

These are two very different approaches to updating an existing game and story to a modern age, and both I feel are valid. The big question is - which do you prefer?

For me, I much prefer FFVIIR's approach. A new take doesn't invalidate the old game at all, and if I've already played the game, for me an updated version can be engaging, but isn't going to really take priority with me, at least in terms of what I'm going to advance to the top of my queue for either purchasing or playing. A new vision of something I enjoyed in the past, however, is more exciting for me - I'm interested to see what people are going to do with it and where the designers are going to take it.

What do you prefer? Why do you prefer it that way?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I used to be in the Trials of Mana remake style camp, but I think I'm now in the FFVIIR camp. If you are going to remake an old game, you might as well go all out. Just keep the spirit of the game intact but modernize and update what makes sense to you. Some of these old games just don't translate well to modern gaming standards.

Also, if you want to play that old style the original game is still available to you. This was a little different with Trials of Mana which was not officially released outside Japan for a number of years. So maybe it made more sense to do that one more faithfully.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I used to be in the Trials of Mana remake style camp, but I think I'm now in the FFVIIR camp. If you are going to remake an old game, you might as well go all out. Just keep the spirit of the game intact but modernize and update what makes sense to you. Some of these old games just don't translate well to modern gaming standards.

Also, if you want to play that old style the original game is still available to you. This was a little different with Trials of Mana which was not officially released outside Japan for a number of years. So maybe it made more sense to do that one more faithfully.
    I did appreciate that they released the Collection of Mana which DID include the original, but you've basically hit the nail on the head as far as my thinking is as well. Especially if you make the original available easily again at the time of release for the Remake, I say go big.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tend to fall more into the re-imagining camp. I feel my only hesitations is that I've played very few good ones. I feel re-imaginings work better in film or TV more often than with games, likely because I feel things like gameplay are more subjective. I wasn't really impressed with the VII Remake and the only other one that comes to mind is the Lufia 2 remake on the DS that makes me cringe.

Still, I got more out of the demo for Trials of Mana than I did with the Secret of Mana remake which was fun, but pretty stale when you see it's almost a 1:1 remake with better graphics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haven’t played either but I choose reimagining just on principle. If you’re going to remake something, go all out and actually make it something new. We’ve already done the old thing, we don’t need to do it again.

I'm generally hesitant for re-imagining things. FF7 (in my experience), has remained faithful to the feel of the original while expanding. A lot of creators have trouble keeping that energy, especially after such an absence. Doing a director's cut of things is fine as long as it feels like it would have fit, if they had the options originally. Like how Cloud builds up a reputation as a bounty hunter and a body guard now, and gets to know people on a more personal level, and about their lifestyles and friendship circles and stuff. Things that could have easily been alluded to or shown in the original, are just fleshed out now. I hear there's some pretty big deviations later, but we'll see

But then you have say George Lucas, or JK Rowling who don't stick to the themes and feel of the original and just shoe-horn in any new idea that pleases them. In those instances I would rather they make something new in the spirit of the original to encapsulate what they now want, rather than muck up the original works

I'm a huge fan of preservation and access, so updated ports that simply add quality of life changes, but leave the basic elements untouched are a much safer bet, and on the whole I'll generally choose these, especially since I'm still fine with retro gaming. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Trials of Mana, Shadow of Colossus, and even the recent Saints Row 3 port. Running on different engines, done by different teams, trying to remain as faithful as possible. The only differences are slightly technical based on things going on in the background. (I hate the new vehicle physics in the SR3 port). I will almost always support these endeavors, especially when you don't have reliable access to the originals in a legal manner

With FF7, what I mostly wanted was the same core story but with lots of new side-content and character development.

So I got most of what I wanted. The only changes I'd make to have Remake be perfect is:

1) Ditch the plot ghosts and changed ending. Just stick with original plot all the way.
    2) Reduce the padding in some of the dungeons, and in exchange for that add another explorable hub area (similar size to the three Sector 5,6,7 hubs). Maybe an above the plate setting? Was kinda disappointed how little we saw of that.

That's pretty much all I'd change. Oh and I'd also make it more explorable throughout the game, so you can backtrack at any point.

Ditto. One of my biggest disappointments with this game (not as big as the plot ghosts, but still) is that they didn't add a single slum of another sector not explored in the original (stings all the more because they teased the sector 4 slums in the dialogue) and only added a tiny bit of extra on the plate scenarios that don't really qualify as exploration of the upper city. Adding more of Midgar (rather than just expanding on what was already there) was certainly my expectation when I heard the whole game would be set in Midgar.