Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition to include old actor voice option to FF7R

Default Petition to include old actor voice option to FF7R

Howdy!

I ran across this petition asking Square to add a voicing option to include the old cast for FF7R. I have to say, I think the new cast did a fantastic job, I really would also love to hear how the old gang would have done this game.

It's kinda like what Silent Hill 2 did with the HD release and they let the player choose between the old cast and new cast for different playthroughs.

Heard the old guys got fired because Square thought they couldn't market their names to younger gamers, an that hurt me, I grew up with them you know? I would like to give them a chance too. But like I said, I enjoyed the new cast and I am looking forward to the next parts, but I would like to hear what the old gang would have done after voicing them for so many years.

Here is the link for those who are interested:

https://www.change.org/p/release-add...asy-vii-remake

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

You'd need to sell a lot of DLC to break even on getting a second full English VA, considering the absolute size of FF7 Remake (compared to Silent Hill 2). Glad people are passionate but I can't see a way that it works out as a fiscally responsible decision. And the new ones have already grown on me!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Pretty much what Jiro said.

This isn't a simple case of just pulling the older actors into the recording booth and pumping out a voice pack in a couple of weeks like some fans seem to think it is. It'll cost a lot of money to produce, and I think the vast majority of people who've played VIIR aren't familiar with the Compilation, and simply won't even care about an "OG" voice pack DLC. I can't see SQEX make any return on investment on something like this. I mean I've seen this petition spammed everywhere on the internet and it's only at 5k sigs for a game that sold 6+ million.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 07-11-2020 at 01:54 PM.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed the new cast a great deal. That petition's been going around for a while, but it feels a bit mean-spirited to me. It'd cost a fortune to re-record, re-edit, and re-insert all the dialogue; the chances of it actually being profitable are basically nil. Besides, it feels like it'd be an insult to both the new and old voice casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Pretty much what Jiro said.

This isn't a simple case of just pulling the older actors into the recording booth and pumping out a voice pack in a couple of weeks like some fans seem to think it is. It'll cost a lot of money to produce, and I think the vast majority of people who've played VIIR aren't familiar with the Compilation, and simply won't even care about an "OG" voice pack DLC. I can't see SQEX make any return on investment on something like this. I mean I've seen this petition spammed everywhere on the internet and it's only at 5k sigs for a game that sold 6+ million.

Wow! I didn't know they doubled sales of the game! I still thought it was only 3.5 million. Hey you never know if you don't ask! The show will still go on! ( I mean, Square completely localized Type-0 in English with only 10,000 signatures, and that process is more expensive, you never know I guess!)

Take Care!

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I enjoyed the new cast a great deal. That petition's been going around for a while, but it feels a bit mean-spirited to me. It'd cost a fortune to re-record, re-edit, and re-insert all the dialogue; the chances of it actually being profitable are basically nil. Besides, it feels like it'd be an insult to both the new and old voice casts.

I don't see it as an insult. I thought the new cast was great! It would be more inslulting if they didn't let the old guys have a crack at it, after all they actually want to do the DLC (probably because they got fired last minute for marketing matters after being told for 5 years they were on this project, but that's neither here nor there). Did you know Square Enix actually did dual audio for Star Ocean JP version in Dec 2019? They called in both the old cast and the new cast and had them recorded so gamers could choose which voice cast they wanted to play the game in - so I guess it's not too insulting if Japan, who puts their actors on a pedestal and treats them like kings, does it! Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask! Can't wait for part 2 - fingers crossed it's soon!

Take Care!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    You'd need to sell a lot of DLC to break even on getting a second full English VA, considering the absolute size of FF7 Remake (compared to Silent Hill 2). Glad people are passionate but I can't see a way that it works out as a fiscally responsible decision. And the new ones have already grown on me!
    Well, I guess not everyone buys DLC's that companies create, but from my understanding they stopped recording mid way (or after) with the old cast (so they already recorded but fired the cast because they changed their marketing strategy). I guess it would be more of a waste to just throw out that audio, but then again they switched the entire cast so I guess they have wiggle room with finances (I think they are a billion dollar company?) Well, at least fans are asking them to release it!

I gotta say, it was a pleasure to play the game and I am certainly hoping for more info to be released in the coming months (hopefully!)

Take Care!

There are almost none of the cast I'd want to change. Maybe Aerith. That's it. The rest were brilliant. Cloud, Tifa and Barret especially I love in Remake.

Nah. I love the remake cast. Cloud, Aerith, Barret and Tifa sound wonderful now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don’t think the Silent Hill HD analogy works at all tbh. That one was a straight port of a game that already had voice acting. The new voices used the same exact script. Adding the option to play with the old voices cost nothing at all. FFVIIR is a completely different game based on an entirely new script, with the original not having voice acting at all.

A more apt example would be Catherine Full Body which, at least in the Japanese version, added “Dream voice” selections for the leads, including popular voice actresses so you could customize your Catherines. Still, I’m pretty sure it’s just the Japanese version and it’s a pretty unprecedented case. I wouldn’t say it’s feasible for FFVII at all. Personally I don’t even get why people would want that so much, but that’s just me.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Whilst I've got no gripes against the Legacy Cast (hell, I can barely remember their performances), it's not like they're iconic. There wasn't a great deal of FFVII media with the main cast being fully voiced (Advent Children, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus is all I can remember off the top of my head). Also, as everyone above has basically said, the Remake cast knocked it out of the park and don't see a reason for them to record an alternate audio track. The fact that they made it clear that the Remake throws the Compilation of FFVII out of the window is reason enough to not use the old voices, imo.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Yeah, the only one who has a questionable voice now is (SPOILER) Zack Fair and I've never really cared for him anyways.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm fine with almost everyone except for the bulltrout they did with Barrett. Still annoyed with that trout. 20 years and ain't trout changed.

The petition is just weird to me because the original VII didn't even have voices and when it did it was spread out among a movie, Kingdom Hearts, and a couple of spinoffs. I couldn't tell you if that's the same voice for any of them. I think Cloud might be, but the rest I have no clue.

Like others have said it would cost too much money for something so trivial, and the new voice actors did a fine job anyway (even though I prefer Mandy Moore as Aerith) also some characters have changed VAs several times well before the remake was even a thing, so I'm not sure what you mean by "old gang".

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i think there should be a no voices option where the characters dont have mouths and you have to read all the text yourself like in the original

i have considered replaying with the voice volume at 0 tbh