Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 will be the the year of Shin Megami Tensei

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 2021 will be the the year of Shin Megami Tensei

Well it looks like next year will be the year for Atlus' old school flagship franchise Shin Megami Tensei. In addition to finally announcing the worldwide release of SMTV that has been mostly silent since it was initially announced back in 2017, it looks like my prayers were also answered and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is getting an HD Remaster with VA and Raidou instead of Dante. I am pretty stoked, but annoyed I now have to buy a Switch for SMTV, not to mention I have to debate whether I'll get the PS4 version of Nocturne or do the Switch version.

Also, is it me or does the ruined Tokyo in SMTV bear more than a little resemblance to the Vortex World from SMTIII? I'm also happy to see classic Lucifer design after the abominations that was SMTIV.

EDITGA: I also really hope the Japanese Collector's edition gets a Western release. That thing looks cool and I want that soundtrack CD.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Except if you only ever use the Switch docked like me, then you just get the PS4 version

I have yet to get a Switch, but whenever I use my girlfriends, it's almost exclusively docked. I can see the appeal of playing a full console game for 15 minutes while pooping, but I can't think of any game that I absolutely must have while pooping because I don't plan on taking any breaks lol I don't take breaks at work and I don't go on road trips, so portable gaming is a useless concept in my life. But I am glad the Switch has become this weird haven for odd concepts and retro and indie darlings. Somehow it makes developers and publishers feel more confident in doing the things we want. So I do have to get a Switch of my own someday when they actually become available again

Super stoked that I finally get a chance to play Nocturne. I keep getting into Persona games and falling out with them, I rarely get a chance to even try other SMT games. So I'll definitely grab that for the PS4 when I get the chance. I'm glad Atlus is starting to see the value in making things available. Hopefully the PSP Persona 2 games will eventually get a console (and Western) port

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've been wanting to try SMTIII for awhile, maybe I'll just wait for this then!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's the longer Japanese trailer which shows off more of the game, talks about the Japanese VA, and reveals the game now has a new Merciful mode.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Merciful mode sounds like a good compromise, what with the rereleases usually being easier for accessibility, but the original difficulty being intact means those who want a more authentic experience can’t really complain. The question is will the other two difficulties be left intact or will they be changed somewhat?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that will depend on if they add anymore content to it. I did notice that DLC flashed in some of the writing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So what is everyone hoping to see in SMTV?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’m honestly just stoked it’s coming and am open to whatever. I do hope they stick to what makes SMT special after shifting Apocalypse’s values more towards Persona.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, starting with Devil Survivor, I've felt Atlus has been trying to shift MegaTen more and more towards Persona appeal. I'm hoping the Nocturne Remaster does well to make them realize there is still an audience for a classic MegaTen experience.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

More games like SMT IV (except this time not on a pure handheld) is A-Okay with me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What kills me is that Nocturne Remaster has been getting a lot of publicity after the reveal of the game, and yet SMTV has gone back to Code:Silent from Atlus, not even after trailer style interview with Famitsu. I get that Nocturne HD comes out this year in Japan, but considering we have less than a year left until SMTV's release, I was hoping we would see a little more.

I think what I would like to see from SMTV is have them pull a bit of an SMT1 and let us really explore pre-destruction Tokyo. We'vce jumped straight into the apocalypse in the last three numbered installments, would be nice to explore a Tokyo being invaded and then the eventual hell hole it will become.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Meme lives on. Atlus just revealed another piece of DLC for the Nocturne Remaster.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard some regions, such as China and Korea, won’t actually have Raidou in the game. Makes me wonder if they’ll have Dante in his stead