Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Part 2 is now in Full Development

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Somehow beating cosmic time warping phantoms by punching them really hard in the face doesn't sound right.
    Lol can you think of an end to that sentence that DOES sound right?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Somehow beating cosmic time warping phantoms by punching them really hard in the face doesn't sound right.
    Lol can you think of an end to that sentence that DOES sound right?
    I mean a nice cup of tea and bit of dialogue could work.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    Surely we dont still need to use spoiler tags do we? I mean anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled, should probably be avoiding an FF7 Remake forum.
    Yes please. I do understand what you're saying, but someone who has just started playing it might be looking around for tips and info too! Better safe than sorry.
    Speaking of, the sub forum description should really be updated at this point.

Do we think the next game will come out on PS4 too, or will they just go entirely next-gen?

The transition period between consoles usually lasts about a year and a half. So I'd think that roughly lines up with when the next game should come out. That would be over 2 years between games.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ps4 hopefully with an hd upscale for ps5 and pc a year later

hopefully ps4 cos i only just bought one lol.

im glad full dev confirmed. i thought it would be a while longer.

That's a weird point to buy a PS4! It's literally just had it's last exclusive.

It'll be years before PS5 goes for the price PS4 goes for now, so it's not that weird.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Meh. They've now all but confirmed that it's going to be a "new story", not an expanded re-telling of the original, so I'm basically going to tune out until the finished game hits the bargain bins.

A few months ago they assured us that part 2 was going to return to the original storyline. Either they were lying, or they had literally no idea what they were going to do and have spent that time writing something completely new.

Now, there's a certain appeal to the idea of an original story set adjacent to the FFVII universe. But the latest interviews have made it pretty clear that Testuya Nomura is calling all the shots on FFVIIR, and he's shown that he's just not capable of delivering of a coherent story that will actually lead to a satisfying conclusion.

If someone was taking bets, I'd put my money on more time ghosts, more universe-hopping time portals, and more giant time ghosts throwing increasingly-huge objects for Cloud to chop in half. Even if there are story beats and even entire scenes lifted from the original game, it'll just culminate in a bombastic clustersmurf where the heroes fight something huge - and probably Sephiroth too - inside some kind of magical portal outside reality, followed by a cliffhanger ending that doesn't really explain anything except an assurance that eVeRyThInG hAs cHaNgEd fOrEvEr.

...Sorry, it seems I've become just a tad bitter and jaded about all this.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

tbf that's how the original ended too, but I do understand the worry of a kingdom hearts clustercuss mess

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Meh. They've now all but confirmed that it's going to be a "new story", not an expanded re-telling of the original, so I'm basically going to tune out until the finished game hits the bargain bins.
    They haven't really confirmed that at all though.

They've said on numerous occasions that it's following the original story, and they've also said they want to keep people guessing as to what's going to happen. At this point I think the evidence suggests that's all they're doing. They just didn't want everyone feeling like they knew exactly what's coming next. But ultimately the thing we get will end up being 90% the same as the original, like with part 1.

Think about it. There was a degree of mystery in part 1, because we never knew how faithful it would be to the original, or what would be added, and how the characters would be portrayed etc. But if they'd just finished part 1 completely in line with the original story and no changes at all, we would've been left in a situation where we know for sure what part 2 would be like. I think that's what they really wanted to avoid. They don't like the idea of no major surprises.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 07-27-2020 at 04:31 AM.

In principle I don't have a problem with this. Unfortunately the way they went about it was so hamfisted and gratuitously metanarrative as to damaging to any future direction they want to take the plot In.

Also, while in principle I don't have a problem with making some plot changes, I do find the notion that major or surprises are of critical importance to be nonsense. The best parts of the FF7 Remake don't come from twists to the plot of the first one, but to fleshing out and reimagining the same sequences that were in the original. It's funny that on the one hand gamers will often want games accepted as art and yet in their demand of gaming they call to the lowest common denominator of plot demands, where unpredictability and twist is given primacy above all else. If the idea that plots without surprise are bad held such away in the rest of the artistic world we wouldn't still be seeing performances of Shakespeare today. No I'm not saying FF7 is at the level of Shakespeare, that's not the point. The point is that you don't have to be in constant mystery about where a story is going in order to enjoy it.

Personally I would prefer knowing that spoiler is still gonna spoilers and just watch how they get there in the retelling, but SE would prefer me to wonder whether spoilers will happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    A few months ago they assured us that part 2 was going to return to the original storyline. Either they were lying, or they had literally no idea what they were going to do and have spent that time writing something completely new.
    Or, you're jumping to conclusions based on next to nothing. So far the message seems to be "It's going to basically be Final Fantasy VII, but with some new stuff and some changed stuff". I wont be surprised to see some more moments of alternate timeline clustersmurf at some point, but hopefully not too much. I mean, the whole point of having the destiny ghosts was to get rid of them, so that they don't interfere in future (thus allowing plot points to happen in a different way, if that's what the developers want).

I don't expect them to be back, and seeing as they were the weakest part of Remake part 2 and beyond should be all the better for it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel you're being too optimistic to believe that the ghosts are gone for good to be honest. That's some Grade A KH Bulltrout that I cannot fathom that Toriyama. Nomura, and Kitase are going to pass on. The fact is, they didn't really need to make a plot point out of changing the plot, so I feel it's likely a safe bet the ghosts will come back with a vengeance, especially with the foreshadowing of Rufus seeing them and the not-so-subtle hints that Aerith and Sephy are both aware of how the OG plot is suppose to go.

I feel that it is safe to say that while the order of events from the OG will remain the same. The details and general subtext of the narrative will be very different from the original.

True but what point would the ghosts serve now? They didn't need to make a plot point about changing the plot but they did it anyway. They can bring Sephiroth back to life as many times as they like because they think that's what the fans want, but nobody cares about the ghosts now that Nomura has enough creative freedom to do whatever he wants for the rest of the remake series.