Thread: Last RPG OST that you loved

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*yawn* Last RPG OST that you loved

What it says on the tin, what was the last OST got you grooving and tapping to the beat?

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

Ys IX if I ignore remakes/remasters

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I’m playing FFXV now and I’d be lying if I said the soundtrack isn’t terrific.

Last, last? There is no last soundtrack when it comes to RPG soundtracks I love. My favorites include any of the Final Fantasy soundtracks, Chrono Trigger, Skyrim. I even love the soundtracks of the GBC and GBA games based on the first three Harry Potter books and movies.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ff7re

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    ff7re
    Yeah. It seems like cheating the topic, but the reworked music is frequently on par with the original. And while magnificent, the original is a product of its time with a lot of midi samples and stuff. This one sounds more real and organic. And even some of the new music in it is ridiculously good. The theme song for the Stamp dog mascot its stupidly nostalgic to me. It sounds just like a corny 80s cartoon themesong. Makes me think of Superbook or Unico. And I love it

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Nier Automata if we count that as broad term "RPG". In fact, I think it may be the best OST of any game I've ever heard... But if we're talking more traditional RPGs, then probably either FF14 or FF10. FF15 is solid, but not sure about "love". I should re-listen to FF12 OST (or just replay the game).

I was just thinking of this the other day - how Japanese OSTs are just so much better than Western games' OSTs. I think Blizzard competes w/ them tho. And kinda Ubisoft and whatever Mick Gordon does.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Pretty much every RPG I've ever played has incredible music. I've been playing a ton of FFXI lately, so that's the OST that's stuck in my head all the time lately.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
    Same for me. Xenoblade is the last RPG that I actually hum the tunes to.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Caligula Effect

I haven't made it very far in the game. But damn if the music isn't fantastic.

In terms of what? Playing in the context of the game, or playing outside the context of the game? It's been a looooong time since I've really listened to a full game OST outside the context of the game. Maybe FFIX. As for in context of the game, surely much more recent. Certainly Persona 5, as a baseline I'm sure I loved the music and it's fairly recent. And actually, come to think of it, while I haven't listened to the full Persona 5 OST, I've definitely listened to a number of my favorite tracks outside the context of the game. Considering most of FF7R music is based off the original, I'd say that one was pretty good and also counts. So, yeah, probably FF7R, if just listening in the context of the game counts. Persona 5 if you just have to listen to some tracks outside the game. FFIX if like you have to purchase or otherwise sit down and listen to the whole OST through.