Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes announced by Suikoden creators for Kickstarter.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes announced by Suikoden creators for Kickstarter.

So it looks like the two core creators of Suikoden, Yoshitaka Murayama and Junko Kawano are teaming up with some people to make a new RPG that is like anything on Kickstarter being helmed by old creators, a spiritual successor to their old school game we all love them for.

In the world of Allraan, different nations fight over magical objects known as the Rune-Lenses. When the Galdean Empire sends an expeditionary force to discover ancient rune-lenses in remote legions, they team up with a local village group, only to discover one and plunge the region in a new conflict over it's ownership. Two young men, from different sides meet and form an unlikely friendship before this conflict begins and drags them into a war neither asked for.

While I've never played a Suikoden game (or at least enjoyed one, played like an hour of 3 and kinda hated it), I will watch this one with cautious optimism. I love Kickstarter and the success stories, I feel like Japan has had a terribly mixed bag when it comes to throwbacks, especially with crowd funding. Project Phoenix, Unsung Story, Mighty No. 9, all come to mind and leave a sour taste in my mouth. And I'm sure there's half a dozen I'm forgetting. Not to mention some of their more official throwback games that I don't really care for. I've yet to be really interested in a Tokyo RPG Factory game, the original creator of Metroid came back and ruined it with Other M. And they made two Mana games and failed to put in co-op

It's probably not fair to judge anyone by the mistakes of their peers, but I feel like I've seen more success in throwbacks from the West, and more failures in the East. So I can't help but be jaded and cynical when it comes to this stuff. And on that note I'm surprised this isn't just a mobile game (see Another Eden)

Western throwbacks have won me over with Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera. And I have trouble believing that a good CRPG is easier to create than a good JRPG. So I'm not sure what the problem is. But we shall see, and despite it all I will be rooting for them. But I don't know if I'll throw in financial support. But I'm happy for them and their fans. And if the end product turns out good, I'm not shy about buying it after to support them then

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well no surprise, but it got it's full funding and is still going. That means we'll see a console release at least. If my finances weren't so troutty right now, I'd help back it up as well cause I feel stuff like Kickstarter is good because it shows full blown publishers that there is still an audience for this and I'm also secretly hoping this will force Konami to make a Suikoden Collection to capitalize on it's release like how they released the Castlevania Collection the same time as Bloodstained came out.

I like the look of the conceptual art, but not the look of the in game stuff, which reminds me too much of phone games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I'm liking the narrative and characters revealed so far. You can feel the Suikoden vibe really hard with this game. The staff isn't even hiding it, but I'm certainly all for it. It's been what? It's been what? Eight years since the last proper Suikoden game, and fourteen since we saw a good one? Not to mention it will be interesting to see the original duo who made the first two games back together.

I would argue that the last "proper" Suikoden was SV, irrespective of whether later entries were any good.

The more I see of this game the more worn down I am by their passion and vision. It seems to be on the good side of Japanese Kickstarters. It's got some time left and I imagine I'll throw some money at it before the campaign is over

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to back this once my next paycheck comes in this week.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just backed this today and went for the one with a physical release since I love collecting these things. Means I may also get in on the beta when it comes to. Overall, I'm excited and hope for the best with the team and development. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on Bloodstained.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh wow, I just saw this. No surprise that it's already met their goal more than 6x over. I definitely get a strong Suikoden feel from what I've read so far, which was clearly intentional, but also perfectly fine by me.

I've still never played any of the Suikoden games. I think I played 3 on the PS2 for like half an hour and that's it.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That sounds like a personal flaw that should be remedied as soon as possible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should check the series out, it's an underrated franchise. I'm a huge fan, so it's no surprise I'm excited for this kickstarter project. Especially with the original creators teaming up for the first time since Suikoden III.

If you want to know what's up with them, I've written an article or two on most of the entries except the two Suikogaiden games and smaller fair like the Card Battle entries or the post True Rune entries.

Suikoden I and II
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden IV
    Suikoden V
    Suikoden Tactics

I'm sure Raistlin and I could talk your ear off about the series if you want as well.

I've always had a fondness for the series from a distance but never took the plunge even after emulation and digital versions became available until my girlfriend's dad got the third game digitally on ps3. It's a horrible place to jump I in and taste test the series though since they weren't used to 3d and had to experiment with non standard controls. But it didn't make me lose interest in the series myself. Shortly after, my girlfriend got either 4 or 5 and it looked really good on the ps2. I'll eventually dig into them. But I did end up backing this project. Kickstarters are great when they're a passion project

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    That sounds like a personal flaw that should be remedied as soon as possible.
    Lol I've got a list of those.

Also got a list of "classic" games I've never got round to playing. Currently working my way through the Halo series. Then I've got the MGS series to do. Then the Kingdom Hearts series, Lol.