Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (SPOILERS) Death, and variations of it

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default (SPOILERS) Death, and variations of it

I'll try and keep this first post as vague as possible, short of speculation based on what happens in the original FFVII.

Do you think the way they either killed (or didn't kill) minor characters in FFVIIR is their way of testing the waters to see if people would be okay with Aerith not dying in a future game?

At this point they've rewritten the rules of that universe so many times that anything is possible. They're probably also testing the waters to see how people would react to other characters dying.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There was a point during the end of this game where they almost killed (SPOILER)Barret, and I totally would have bought it.

I think he starts taking a backseat storywise after all the Midgar stuff anyway, and there is a way they could have morphed the Dyne stuff into a memorial/revenge/tribute of sorts if they wanted to go that route.

However, not getting the sailor suit would be unforgivable.

I personally think they're doing this just to make people think she would survive, so her death could be as painful and impactful as in the OG.

As I'd pointed out in another thread, they have actually established in the external lore that Aerith was the one who managed to use the lifestream to stop Meteor (or at least they heavily indicate that). I'm not sure what they'd do with stuff like that if she lives.

I'm sticking with my theory that she'll survive in the alternate timeline with Zack instead. Given that they were the original couple, and Cloud should be with Tifa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    There was a point during the end of this game where they almost killed (SPOILER)Barret, and I totally would have bought it.

I think he starts taking a backseat storywise after all the Midgar stuff anyway, and there is a way they could have morphed the Dyne stuff into a memorial/revenge/tribute of sorts if they wanted to go that route.

However, not getting the sailor suit would be unforgivable.
    (SPOILER)Barret still had plenty of development regarding coming to terms with the consequences of his actions, so I still think it's a mistake to kill him off. I think the only one they could get away with killing off and not losing anything would be Red XIII post Cosmo Canyon.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva95 View Post
    I personally think they're doing this just to make people think she would survive, so her death could be as painful and impactful as in the OG.
    Yeah, that's a solid theory. If she lives through this series I'd be totally surprised but I think a lot of this changing fate stuff is intended to keep us guessing on some these bigger moments.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    As I'd pointed out in another thread, they have actually established in the external lore that Aerith was the one who managed to use the lifestream to stop Meteor (or at least they heavily indicate that). I'm not sure what they'd do with stuff like that if she lives.

I'm sticking with my theory that she'll survive in the alternate timeline with Zack instead. Given that they were the original couple, and Cloud should be with Tifa.

Boo! I hate Zack and I really hate this pairing. As though they're "meant to be" because she dated him when she was 16 or whatever. Give me a break. Number one way to make me even more mad about the remake than I already am. He's just a damn plot device that Square tried to make into a real boy for cash in sequels.

Well she did claim to love him, and there was that scene in Advent Children where they were sorta together in the afterlife. When you combine that with the fact that Cloud wasn't entirely himself at this point, whereas he'd known Tifa from childhood, I think it's fair to say what the natural pairings were.

The Tifa pairing I don't mind so much, although I think they're a bit codependent. I've always preferred Arris and Cloud though because I just like Aeris personality more and feel like they have some instant connection (even if Cloud isn't quite himself). One thing I felt that the remake really did right was capturing the sort of personality Aeris had in the original and the chemistry she had with Cloud. But like I said, I can live with Cloud/Tifa. It's even basically what happens in the original. Aeris doesn't deserve to be stuck with stupid Zack though. Even Red XIII would be better. Heck, even Cait Sith would.

As for Advent Children, I lump that in with the "cash in sequels" so I don't really want to remember what happened in it (and mostly don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    TAeris doesn't deserve to be stuck with stupid Zack though. Even Red XIII would be better.
    Lol I'm sure Rule34 is way ahead of you.

FFXIV Character

Cordis Xaltun (Cactuar)

I actually quite enjoy the Zack and Aerith pairing. I think they suit one another. As is everything, we are all open to our own opinions. I really enjoy Zack's character. So if you hate his character, I can understand how you would hate anyone being paired with his character.

Personally, I really like his character, and I really like the game. I look forward to the next part.

By way of answering the thread question *spoiler* I would be okay with you know who surviving. It wouldn't bother me so long as they continue to tell a rich and compelling story that continues the narrative that began so many years ago. These guys were trying to tell a story. The original ending seemed off to me at the time when I first played it. Hearing that they had more planned is interesting to me and I hope they stick with their original idea so that we can get their full vision. That's just my opinion. *spoiler*

Has there actually ever been a single instance of Cloud showing any romantic feelings for Aerith? Even in the optional Gold Saucer date scene he never considered her anything more than just a friend, she says she wants to meet Cloud (as in the real Cloud, not the Zack lookalike she was infatuated with) and all he says is "but I'm right here".

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva95 View Post
    In my own musings back when the game was fresh I thought of many things relating to this topic in general and I hadn't considered that. If they keep that aspect the same ultimately, I wonder if they'll do a fake out and then BAM!! Gone anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    The Tifa pairing I don't mind so much, although I think they're a bit codependent. I've always preferred Arris and Cloud though because I just like Aeris personality more and feel like they have some instant connection (even if Cloud isn't quite himself). One thing I felt that the remake really did right was capturing the sort of personality Aeris had in the original and the chemistry she had with Cloud. But like I said, I can live with Cloud/Tifa. It's even basically what happens in the original. Aeris doesn't deserve to be stuck with stupid Zack though. Even Red XIII would be better. Heck, even Cait Sith would.

As for Advent Children, I lump that in with the "cash in sequels" so I don't really want to remember what happened in it (and mostly don't).
    Interestingly, I thought that Aerith and Cloud had more chemistry in the original game than they did in the remake - in the OG, it seemed like she was flirting with him because she was genuinely interested, whereas in the Remake I got the impression it was just part of her personality. Just my interpretation though.

I feel like Square is gearing up to keep her alive. I'm not sure I entirely trust their judgment tbh - they've said they won't change any major plot points, but I feel like they're going to change so many little things that they'll end up writing themselves into a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.