Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF7 Remake has sold 5 million so far!

Default FF7 Remake has sold 5 million so far!

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/fina...p-five-million

What does everyone think about this?

I maybe thought it'd be a bit higher at this point, although the fact that it's a PS4 exclusive still clearly has an impact. The fact that it's only part 1 certainly has an impact too.

The fact that FFXV sold so highly (about 9 million at this point) has definitely biased my expectations too. I assumed FF7 being the most famous would massively outsell XV, which it doesn't look like it will (I'm guessing it'll just about equal 9 million over its lifetime though)

Well, it's the Final Fantasy VII remake so no surprises on it making at least 5 million.

To be fair XV had the advantage by not being released during a pandemic.

Seems debatable whether the pandemic was a bane or boon to sales.

The remake has significant flaws that tarnish it, but FFXV is just kind of boring to play and the remake isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Or XV is just better
    I'm a huge XV fan, but it really wasn't very good on launch. It was only after they'd patched up the holes in the story (with Ignis and Prompto DLC especially) that the story actually works.

I think it sold quite a lot because it's open-world. There are a lot of people who are non-FF fans who just like playing open-world games.

One is a whole full-ish game with DLC content and the other is just 5% of the original Final Fantasy remade. Seems unfair to judge and compare between the two. Sales doesn't equal to good or better, or Mcdonalds food would be the most tastiest delight ever and not just cheap almost plastic never decaying grub.

One just managed to grab people's interests more and not be in the middle of Covid.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No but you don’t understand. I’ve only played XV, therefore it has to be better.

Lol you still not played it? Don't you know anyone who'd lend you a PS4 for just a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    One is a whole full-ish game with DLC content

Full game + DLC is a bit misleading for XV. Full game because of DLC seems more accurate. Gladio, Ignis and Prompto and Royal Pack DLC were certainly part of the core story. I'll accept that Ardyn DLC was an addition though, and maybe Comrades counts as an addition.

Even if you get the DLC for the "full game" do you actually play those episodes in the context of the game?

I do. I play FFXV with everything in its chronological place. Including Ignis DLC, which a lot of people prefer to play later because it contains a few spoilers.

You obviously have to do that manually though, because they never included at option to boot the DLC from within the main game, which they really needed to.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I did the same thing and it works. I was, however, spoiled on a lot of things so it didn’t hurt. I definitely wouldn’t recommend playing Episode Ignis at the point that it happens to complete newcomers. Gladio and Prompto work pretty seamlessly.

And no, I don’t have anyone to lend me a PS4. I’ll just wait for the eventual PC release. Plus, it’s not like a huge priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    Lol you still not played it? Don't you know anyone who'd lend you a PS4 for just a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    One is a whole full-ish game with DLC content

Full game + DLC is a bit misleading for XV. Full game because of DLC seems more accurate. Gladio, Ignis and Prompto and Royal Pack DLC were certainly part of the core story. I'll accept that Ardyn DLC was an addition though, and maybe Comrades counts as an addition.
    That's what I meant. That the game is a unfinished puzzle piece without the DLC.
    Last edited by maybee; 08-13-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    I do. I play FFXV with everything in its chronological place. Including Ignis DLC, which a lot of people prefer to play later because it contains a few spoilers.

You obviously have to do that manually though, because they never included at option to boot the DLC from within the main game, which they really needed to.

Well that answers my question. So not only is the game incomplete without DLC, which is bad enough,bit it's fragmented by nature such that you have to intervene yourself to play the DLC in the context of the game
    Which also means you have to already know where the DLC goes in the story to play in chronological order apart from the need for manual intervention. Yeah. Doesn't sound like the DLC makes for a complete game to me.