Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite NPC

Oldish thread, but...

for fairly minor NPCs:

-The artist guy in the Theater District of Lindblum. He's so sick of Lowell's nonsense, it's great.

-The one Black Mage in the Black Mage Village who doesn't really understand the concept of death and mentions that when his friend wakes up, he's gonna pull him out of the ground and wash him off in the river. On its own it's a funny line, but in context it was heartbreaking.

-Also, the two Black Mages who look after Bobby Corwen the baby chocobo.

-All three of the Trepies from FF8.

-That one dancer from FF4 who poisons you after dancing to Calcobrena's theme. Gotta love it.

-If you play FFXIV, there's a couple in Ishgard who have an ongoing saga if you sit back and watch their dialogue over time. A noble girl and a non-noble boy (or a boy from a lesser noble house, I don't recall) have a whole Romeo and Juliet-esque saga where they fall in love, marry in secret, run away together and have a child against their family's wishes. It's not even a questline, it's just shifting NPC speech bubble dialogue over the span of a few patches. Wild.

for characters that are minor but on the fence about whether they'd apply here:

-Joye from FFXIV is another NPC I love-- she's "story relevant", but not to the main story. She's a key character in the first two segments of the Machinist questline, which is completely optional, so I don't know if she'd count... but she's awesome.

-Belgemine. I know she's encountered a few times in the main story of FFX, but she didn't add a whole lot except to kinda teach you things about aeons you probably could've figured out yourself. That said, I really liked her mysterious and almost motherly sort of presence.

-Ester from FF7. She's very minor and only appears in one part of the story, but she plays a key role in that tiny segment. She also gives me eccentric older lady vibes. Goals, tbh.

There are so many, many more-- I feel like NPCs are what make these worlds feel so "alive", but these are the handful I can think of off the top of my head.