Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like romance in your games?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Do you like romance in your games?

Now some genres almost beg for it, but others could probably live without it. Do you like romance in your games? Which ones are your favorites?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Romance is fine but I also don’t need it. Not every game has to have a romance in there to be fulfilled. I usually prefer pre-scripted romances written into the main game over romance options, since while I like the occasional “choose your own ideal romantic partner” kind of escapism, I find romances that are actually woven into the story to be much better. Xenogears is a great example of what I’m talking about, since after stripping away all the fluff, it’s just a damn compelling love story at its core. I’ve also always liked how unorthodox FFIV was about it by not only giving us a love triangle during a time when they still weren’t that present in games, but we also don’t see the beginning of the relationship and are instead dropped into it after it’s already been established.

As for picking your love interest, I like how Persona does it. Also have a soft spot for how it was done in Baldur’s Gate, though I can’t really comment how it was done in later WRPGs like Dragon Age. One game that kind of marries the two approaches is the Witcher 3. It gives you a choice, but at the same time both romance options are very much baked into the narrative. And I have mixed feelings about that. It’s all very compelling and well-written and feels like a step in the right direction for game romances, but it also just shouldn’t exist because Geralt and Yennefer are he official couple and that’s final ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem I have with the Witcher 3 is it basically refused to let me stay single no matter how hard I tried.

I am fine with romance in games, but if you include it, let me completely opt out (unless it's the whole point of the game, I guess, in which case my fault for playing it).

When it comes to romance in games, I prefer romance options over forced romance. Speaking of favorite romances, I am going to say my favorites from the Mass Effect series of games. For MShep romance options, my favorite is Tali. For FemShep romance options, my favorite is Garrus. Now for the romance options in Mass Effect Andromeda, here are my favorites. For MRyder romance options, my favorite is Vetra. For FemRyder, I don't have a favorite since I have not played through Mass Effect Andromeda using her yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You can definitely be single by the end of Witcher 3.
    By the end, yes, if you really put work into it. I want to tell Yennefer "smurf off, I'm not interested" in minute 1.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

NO there shouldn't be ANY romance in video games, in fact there should be no PLOT at all in any video GAME

this post brought to you by the pong purity gang

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That sounds like “you” problem, sweetie
    Nah it's a problem with all Sorcerers and Sorceresses being untrustworthy creatures of self-interest, including Yennefer. If you're going to let me role-play Geralt's choices, let me role-play Geralt's choices. If you aren't, don't.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk man you can let both know you’re not interested pretty early and even if you want to do so, there’s still no denying the fact that at this point Geralt has had history with both women. You can role play Geralt to an extent, but you are still role playing a pre-establishes character. So as much as the player has a say in how Geralt acts, telling both of them to just smurf off from the start would be very much completely out of character for him. It’s the same reason why Geralt just wouldn’t work with male romance options. He’s a character that has been established for a long time, throughout a whole series of books and two other games. Not being able to tell Yen and Triss to go screw themselves from the get go is not a flaw of the romance writing - it’s simply taking into account what choice can be given within what we know of Geralt up to that point.

Previously established Geralt will have sex with anything vaguely woman-shaped that moves, yes. And that he can't escape Yennefer no matter how hard he tries because of magic. But that isn't a very satisfying "romance option" and is not an enjoyable portion of an otherwise pretty good game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That is a gross misunderstanding of what Geralt was established as but whatever. You’re entitled to feel how you feel about it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't mind it as long as it flows well with the plot. In some games the romance option seems tacked on for no reason (Fire Emblem Three Houses for example).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Is it your position that Geralt will NOT have sex with absolutely any modestly attractive woman he encounters, then?

And that Geralt is NOT bound to Yennefer by literal magic?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I personally had Geralt boff anyone who offered.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum