Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: books books books

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

going thru Braiding Sweetgrass. Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by robin wall kimmerer and it's great highly reccomend it, especially if you can get the audiobook read by the author, she's a great storyteller. also it's long! multiple times i thought i was near the end but wasn't even half done. really interesting and important content. i don't often re-read books but this one might be a re-read.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished The Secret Life of Addie LaRue which I read in just under 2 days. It was a nice delightful and easy read that got me past a book slump. I'm starting Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell and I love it already.

One book I am currently reading is one of the books in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. The book I am reading is Question Quest​.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm reading Gone with the Wind and it's taking forever. It's actually a good read. Full of racism, but not in a vile way, more of a 'this is the way these people were' way. Also it is written in a way that it is quite enjoyable to see the bad things happening to the racist Confederates. I will probably need to read about 10 books by non-white authors to make up for this later though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings currently. It's massive and I'm very busy so it's slow going

I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me. Quite a difficult book, but I'm sure many people will like it. In addition, I read critical articles now and reviews on the problem of human trafficking. On https://studyhippo.com/essay-example...n-trafficking/ I found some very constructive articles about human trafficking. The slave trade is a transatlantic trade model dating back to the middle of the 18th century and unfortunately this practice still exists today.
    Last edited by Nile Parker; 10-29-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nile Parker View Post
    I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me.
    It is a very interesting book in terms of its style but a really boring one in terms of its plot hope this time you will finish it because I didn't manage to do that.
    Last edited by Badr Boodai; 11-01-2021 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

I have been reading a lot of Cesar Aira, an Argentinian writer who will probably end up with a Nobel prize some day (no one has heard of him, but he writes incredibly). Recommended. Start with the short story "Ghosts" if you're interested.

Speaking of Nobel prizes, I am currently reading Blindness, by Saramago. It's about an epidemic of blindness (no trout) and is rather beautifully written for something so bleak. It's also fairly timely reading given the current pandemic.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished a load of books and am currently reading Rumi's selected works.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just started the Wheel of Time series. I'll let you know how I like it when I finish in 5 years. Good so far!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just convinced Shaibana to read A Court of Thorns and Roses with me. It was... okay. Ron Moore will be able to make it better come the TV show.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Just finished The Shadow of Kyoshi yesterday. The Kyoshi novels are damn good books. Kyoshi had a rough ass life and all before she was 18. When is the next book? It's been a while.

I've been reading more and more lately, due to a great bookshop opening near my house and the dude there being just really into books - contagious.

The Dangers of Smoking in Bed, by Mariana Enriquez
    A collection of horror short stories. As with all collections, there are weak ones and strong ones. The weak ones aren't bad and the strong ones are excellent. There are some genuine scares here, and I would say not for the faint of heart. Part of my effort to read more female authors, and a strong entry at that. I'll be honest, I bought this because the cover was cool - but it was a wise choice.

Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto.
    My first Banana. It was fine. There's a theme in Japanese literature where not a whole lot of stuff happens but it is still written beautifully and you can't put it down, this is a good example. Ultimately for me it was an alright romantic novel, nothing wrong with it - I just don't know that I would read it again. However, there is (refreshingly for a book from the 80s) a strong trans character that isn't just played for laughs or treated cruelly.

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez
    Which I kept seeing mentioned on reddit as being one of the best books ever. I was worried because reddit is full of really stupid people and weird fandom types, but it turned out to be a very good book. I found it a bit of a slog in the middle stretches, but perseverance was well worth it. A great book about solitude, ambition, time, repetition and a bunch of other stuff.

Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson
    My first Jackson, and it's about time. I was actually recommended "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" but it wasn't in the shop. I'm only a couple chapters in, so watch this space. I'm already seeing a lot of the tension I'm told Jackson is known for, and I'm also seeing some stuff that I think have become tropes in horror lit and movies. So far I haven't been able to put it down!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Del, did you ever get far into the Wheel of Time books? I'm guessing you were wanting to finish it before the show came out. It's probably my favorite series but I haven't had the time to watch the shows yet, and I'm honestly kinda afraid to.

I've recently started listening to the Way of Kings series while at work and it's alright so far. Makes a great background distraction during repetitive work.